VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, just joined on here, so hello to everyone, love the threads on here:)

Ive got MK5 R32 which I bought 8 months ago in DBP (not many of them about:D)!! Anyway, I work away overseas and so have had to garage her for the last 5 months and it has just been sat without any running (i didnt trust the girlf to take it out while i was away:D). I took off the battery to save it draining and kept fuel in it up to 3 quarters as suggested to stop corrosion and water vapour buildup. Any tips on what I should do prior to starting her up again and prevent any possible damage or do you think it will be ok???

Grateful for any suggestions out there,

thanks

·
277 Posts
welcome to the site.... i personally can't help you with the question, but i'm sure they will be people on here who hav ehad the R's longer that will :)

5 month without driving my R32.... isn't worth thinking about ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Know what you mean Guy, i cant wait to get back to drive it, been tooo long. bought a vw central armrest for it which i need to fit when i get back as didnt come with one! hopefully going to few festivals over the summer, like bugjam which i normally try to go to, it'll be the first time ive had a decent car to take there......Although, i know you mkIV boys wont agree :) Ive got to admit though, the mkIV looks alot more agressive and you know its an R when you see one. mk5 looks a little too standard but still love it!

·
277 Posts
and sorry yes im not keen on the new r32.... but many people will disagree with me! They are starting to grow on me though, i think i just like the squarenss of them and hyeh they look alittle meaner. :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
managed to get armrest for £190, probably could have got it cheaper but just went for the 'buy it now option' as i couldnt wait!! its a genuine VW part and paid an extra 8 quid for the extension pipes to reach the rear vents. hopefully it will fit in easily enough. Id like to try and get hold of the IPOD adapter or even better, get the new RNS 510 DVD/NAV system but they cost a fortune at the moment and got a wedding to save up for!! :(

·
3,732 Posts
welcome to the site :)

a tip for leaving your car over time is also to lay an ice cream tub with about an inch of salt into the rear foot well (soaks up all air moisture) on damp days

..why not make the r32 the wedding car? that way because its part of the wedding youll need to be allowed to spend money to get it just right for the big day for her :D

...back of the net :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks VC for the tip. ill remember that for next time i leave it long term. I get back in a weeks time so was wondering if any filters needed changing with silt buildup from dirty fuel/oil etc. It had a service a few weeks before i left to go overseas so it shouldnt be too bad.

I did suggest my car for wedding...........didnt go down too well though!:D .........At least i'll arrive in style, she can have the limo!

·
.:R32OC Site Contributor
5,616 Posts
Welcome to the forum mate.

I reckon she'll be good to go, just refit the battery! Sorted :D Actually, check all your levels as well, oil, coolant, etc.

One thing I would say is take it easy for at least 10 minutes or so to make sure the oil is fully warmed and circulated.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks mattchaps. I'll go easy but it will be very very hard, you know they sound good when you blip the throttle at the lights but ill refrain from it:D

I was trying to find some info on web for R32 which is probably a really obvious question which im about to ask. Is the R32 restricted to 155mph? I got some some Top Trumps sent out for christmas :D whilst i was out here of super cars and was pleased to see the R32 in the pack! Most of the German cars have 155 as the top speed so guesses that this was the restricted limit in Germany. If so, if the ECU was changed what would you get out it.

R32 scored 7 in cool rating, beating the lambos and ferraris :D !!!!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Hey,

Mine has been parked up for almost 18 months with 1 run in between @ Croft for a track day.

The same as you I work away all the time and just haven't been able to justify the typical £1k tax and insurance just to keep it on the road. Im hopeing to change jobs soon and get it back on the road again as my weekend driver.

1 thing I would recomend you get if your going to leave it again is an Accumate battery charger / conditioner. It will look after the battery and keep it tip top ready to go.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....om=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=350030986796&fvi=1

Cheers
Matt

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Very Cherry said:
Yeh read this earlier VC, didnt think any MKVs would be allowed to lower the tone:D mind you, least with mine being DBP I wouldnt stand out like a complete sore thumb with the amount of others there! I dont get back until 14th March so wouldnt be able to make it but def up for it another time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
mattcony said:
Hey,

Mine has been parked up for almost 18 months with 1 run in between @ Croft for a track day.

The same as you I work away all the time and just haven't been able to justify the typical £1k tax and insurance just to keep it on the road. Im hopeing to change jobs soon and get it back on the road again as my weekend driver.

1 thing I would recomend you get if your going to leave it again is an Accumate battery charger / conditioner. It will look after the battery and keep it tip top ready to go.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....om=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=350030986796&fvi=1

Cheers
Matt
Thanks Matt for the tip. 18 months!!!! Now that is a long time, its a pain working away sometimes, but got to pay for them somehow! Reminds me that I gotta fork out £300 quid on the road tax along with a set of new tyres and I dont think you can get them any cheeper than £235 a corner. Oh well:angry:

·
.:R32OC Site Contributor
5,616 Posts
BRISTOLR32 said:
Reminds me that I gotta fork out £300 quid on the road tax along with a set of new tyres and I dont think you can get them any cheeper than £235 a corner. Oh well :angry:
Bloody hell, what tyres are you running, and on what wheels?

I was able to get Eagle F1's over my OEM 18's for £105 a corner balanced and fitted.

What tyres have you been looking for that are £235 each?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sorry, im talking b*ll*x, had £235 in my head for some reason:blushed: just checked kwik fit website and they have the Continental Conti-Sport Contact 2 reinforced 225/40W18 for £160/corner with balancing etc. Where did you get your tyres from and are they just as good as conti-sports on the R. I dont want them wearing away to quick!

·
155 Posts
Bristol32 do you know where they got the top trumps from or the make of them would like a pack of them for my self.
thanks

1 - 18 of 18 Posts