VW Golf R32 Forum banner

R32 in Dubai

3K views 39 replies 11 participants last post by  vfreeze_31 
#1 ·
Hi Guys

I've been reading this forum for a while now... finally time to make my first post!

I moved out to Dubai a couple of months ago and have put in an order at the local dealership for an R32: pearlescent blue, 5-door (no 3-doors here), and a healthy dash of optional extras. I built the car on the VW UK website and it came to around 29K but because of the weak dollar and general cheapness of cars in the UAE, I only had to pay 18.5K!! No concerns about fuel consumption either - petrol costs about 90p a gallon over here, lol!

Anyway, those of you in the UK are probably getting depressed by now so I'll change the subject... When I get the car (have to wait till November) I'll be looking to do a few mods, just subtle stuff though. I reckon exhaust, air intake, remap, new head unit and speakers.

I've read the posts on car audio and think Chris at CCA is a legend - if I was in the UK i'd definitely send the business his way! But unfortunately i'm stuck out in the desert and have no ideas about where to go to get the work done. I'm going to do some digging to see if I can find anywhere decent but the problem out here is everyone will say "yeh, no problem sir - we can do that" and then they'll totally funk it up! It happens with everything and I don't see why car mods should be the exception.

So, if anyone knows any good firms for the ICE or the performance mods in the UAE, I'd appreciate a steer.

Cheers!

P.S. Reading this forum gets me sooooooooo excited about getting the car: don't know how I'm gonna be able to wait till November!!!

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to the forum McBook.

You working out in Dubai, or did you move there specifically to live out there?

November is still a while off yet, the wait is going to be painful!

#3 ·
Moved out to here work - was getting bored of sunny Scotland so thought I check out a different climate. Got a permanent contract so no plan to return home any time soon.

I could have had a black or silver R straight away but i had already seen a few of those over here... there's just something about that blue.

Yeh, i'm feeling the pain already! I'll be driving a 1.3L Yaris till November :-(

#5 ·
Welcome McBook,

Well you must be counting down the days untill November

And thats a good price

Paying just 90 pence for fuel not fair,lol

#8 ·
Yep, they still wash your windscreen and fill the tank for you. You don't need to step outside the car. Thanks for the link to the other guy in Dubai!

Tokyo, nope i'm in banking industry. Although given my journey from Scotland to Dubai, the oil industry would probably make more sense! Dubai's got no oil left though - Abu Dhabi is where the serious money is. Only difference is that they don't show it off like Dubai does!

#9 ·
November is gonna be long wait for you!

Another Scot on the forum - where did you used to stay? Not much difference between here and Dubai.....we'll except for the 40 degree heat, desert, excessive building work and some of the richest people in the world!

Bet you've seen a few supercars since you've been there?!

Anyway, welcome :ciao:

#11 ·
I am not far from you (In Doha, QATAR) and I know what it was like when I first ordered my .:R32. Luckily I didn't have to wait quite so long but I also didn't have the choice for options here.

If you find soewhere good in Dubai for te mods, I might have to drive there for a weekend and get some done. I will just have to remember no one works on Friday!!!

Let me know how you go!!!

BTW... I know what you men about the service and workmanship here in the middle east. Just take a look at my car at the moment. It has been in the work shop for 3 weeks now and they are still waiting for parts to arrive from Dubai.

#12 ·
sdmac, lived in Glasgow back home, Cambuslang/Burnside to be exact. There's plenty of expensive cars over here but not really the kind you drool over - 911 turbos are pretty common and i don't even notice them anymore. Loads of Caymans too. Not that many Ferraris/Lambos.

Main difference to home is the amount of 4x4s. RR Sports a-plenty and also Escalades, Tahoes, X6s, Land Cruisers etc. The worst kind of motoring!

vfreeze, if i find anywhere good i'll let you know. cheers for saying hello.

#13 ·
Hi

English guy also in Dubai here

Im picking up my spanking new R32 on sunday from Al Nabooda.I cant wait.

Geezer. Go to evolution they can do the golf there for you in Al Quoz. Good friend of mine. He does all types of cars evos,350z the whole shabang and is authorised distributor for BMC etc etc.

#16 ·
A_D_T said:
forgot to mention.Doh... why you waiting till november,there are brand new R32 here in Dubai and Abu Dabi mate. ive paid 145k for mine full full options
Didn't think about the Abu Dhabi option, doh! I know there are new ones in Al Nabooda Dubai but there's aren't any blue ones - I've got to wait for that. Might seem silly but the black and silver just don't do it for me.

Cheers for the info on the garage, it's always better to get a recommendation rather than just arriving somewhere and hoping they dont fck it up.

I found the whole full option/entry level thing quite amusing here. Test drove the full option one and was going to get it but then had a second drive in an entry level one and noticed that it actually had quite a long list of options. No leather or sunroof but a lot of other stuff. I'll spend the saving on the mods :)

Where are you in Dubai?

#17 ·
Yeah I had a similar option because I wanted the DBP as well, but I also want the car asap!!!

Silver is not too bad and what I was told by my dealer here is that dust and scratches will not show as much on the silver. and that is right because the people here do not take other people into consideration.

I have had scratches in my door from people hitting it with theirs, lots of dust from all the construction (yo know almost have the worlds cranes are here in the middle east), front corner scratch from lazy driving in car parks an more...

#18 ·
It's not that I think the silver and black are bad, just really want the blue. In the UK every second car is silver these days and I'm soooooooo bored of it. Not the case out here though - silver isn't that common.

Understand what you're saying about the dust and scratches - that could be very annoying. Just need to be careful i suppose: i've got underground parking at home and work so it should be ok - at least I'LL know who to blame if it gets scratched! No way I'm taking it to the Mall... "TAXI!"

#19 ·
Well thats all good in theory, but have you actual driven on the roads there yet???

Just keep your eyes peeled and be ready for anything without warning as indication is optional in these countries and lanes are just guidelines :eek:

#20 ·
Been driving the Yaris in Dubai for just over a month and have changed my driving style completely! At first it's a little crazy but i think you get used to if you adopt the right mentality - you've just got to go with the flow: if you can't beat them, join them. You've got to be super-aware of what everyone else is doing but it can be fun - reminds me of an old computer game called Road Rash where people would appear out of nowhere and try to smash your car into the ditch, lol!

Can't wait to blast down Sheikh Zayed Road in the R, changing lanes like i'm in a Hollywood car chase!

#22 ·
Mc Book dude,

Cheers for the kind words, Matthew.Lewis2 is a member on here and lives in Dubai and has an R32 AND an RS4. We were chatting about MAYBE seeing how feasible it would be for me to fly out there and do some work on his car. Maybe you and he should talk and see what you can come up with, just a thought....

do you reckon a Dubai Based branch of Chorley Car Audio would work???
is there really no-one out there that does this stuff?

Chris

#23 ·
Chorley Car Audio said:
Mc Book dude,

Cheers for the kind words, Matthew.Lewis2 is a member on here and lives in Dubai and has an R32 AND an RS4. We were chatting about MAYBE seeing how feasible it would be for me to fly out there and do some work on his car. Maybe you and he should talk and see what you can come up with, just a thought....

do you reckon a Dubai Based branch of Chorley Car Audio would work???
is there really no-one out there that does this stuff?

Chris
...a kind of flights-for-labour exchange deal, lol!

There must be someone out here doing it but the problem is finding them. Standard procedure in UK would be ask friends and maybe check the net - Google "uk car audio" throws up loads of entries but "dubai car audio" gets you nothing. The population is pretty transient here so you don't get the same depth of local knowledge that you would from people in the UK.

I reckon the industry has got massive growth potential out here though - loads of western expats who, no doubt, want to upgrade their ICE like they would back home.

Don't ask me about setting up out there though, I haven't got a clue - all I know is that you'll need to jump through a few hoops before you even think about it. This place is Red Tape Central!!

Cheers for the heads up about MLewis - I'll give him a shout.

#25 ·
Hi,

I'm in Abu Dhabi, been here about 7 months. Ordered United Grey R32 from Ali & Sons and got it in 10 weeks. Picked it up last week and have been in Doha on business and missing that noise already.

Would be great if you could give me any details about what you find for modding your car. If I come across anything in AD I'll pass it on but I guuess Dubai will be more likely.

Good luck. Paul.

#26 ·
Hey Paul

there seem to be a few of us out in the middle east - don't see many R32s on the roads at the minute but i reckon the numbers are steadily increasing. when i get the car we should get together with vfreeze and plan a little drive, i've heard there are some decent roads near Hatta...

when i find somewhere i'll definitely pass on any details.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.