VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok my r32 is burning oil plugs are black when i pull them out the piston rings were replaced about 5k ago when i built the engine due to bent con rod i did grind in valves at time but didn't do valve stem seals

i replaced the valve stem seals about a month ago but still when i pull out any of the plugs there is oil on piston im confident the oil is coming down from head
so im just asking anybody come across this problem
or have to replace valve guides
or ever come across head cracked around the plug i haven't taking head off since but planing on it soon just looking for someone to put me in the right direction thanks

there is oil on piston when cold and after driving

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'm assuming by "black" you mean black and oily as opposed to black and carbonised? And that she spits out some blue smoke, uses more oil than usual, etc?

If you are/she does, then I'd probably say valve guides - when she smokes, is it from start or under load?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea but the oil should not go black due to valve guides??? When I pull the dip stick out oil like dark colour should be clean in a petrol

·
Registered
72 Posts
Yea but the oil should not go black due to valve guides??? When I pull the dip stick out oil like dark colour should be clean in a petrol
Well, it will eventually, how long ago was a proper oil/filter change?

EDIT: Realised you've just done some work, I'm assuming you've used clean oil and changed the filter when you re-assembled? May be worth just changing the oil and seeing if that "cleans" it up.

Did you run in your new piston rings?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Speaking of running in, did you use fully synthetic oil when you first installed your new rings? If you did - or didn't run them in at all - then it might just be down to the new rings not sealing against the bores.

·
2,204 Posts
Just speculating as the details are a little vague, but my guess is the cylinder sealing has lost it's integrity. Either scratched when a rod got bent (gudgeon pin clip could have come off and scratched the bore), or one of them flex hones was used to rough up the bores for the new rings. The R32 is very sensitive to honing angle and depth.

It's also not clear if the 'black' plugs are black and wet with oil, or black and dry with soot. if all 6 are oily, I'd be pulling the head. If all 6 are black and sooty, sounds like a fuelling issue or the ECU isn't happy with one or more sensors.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Just speculating as the details are a little vague, but my guess is the cylinder sealing has lost it's integrity. Either scratched when a rod got bent (gudgeon pin clip could have come off and scratched the bore), or one of them flex hones was used to rough up the bores for the new rings. The R32 is very sensitive to honing angle and depth.

It's also not clear if the 'black' plugs are black and wet with oil, or black and dry with soot. if all 6 are oily, I'd be pulling the head. If all 6 are black and sooty, sounds like a fuelling issue or the ECU isn't happy with one or more sensors.
Basically, +1

1 - 7 of 7 Posts