VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone!

My first post here because I have spotted the fact that the new R32 in 5 door format is actually a cut price Uber-Estate car in disguise, and would make a great replacement for my 330d BMW Estate!

Thing is, I do a lot of track days with a Caterham 7 and so MUST be able to have a towbar but for some daft reason VW don't offer this facility.

I'm really disappointed - I don't want a front wheel drive car like a GTi and really fancied the idea of a nice smooth V6 engine.

Truth be told I can't find anything similar for the money - maybe the Alfa 159 Sportwagon Qtronic is the closest but the R32 looks great.

Can anyone help me out with this?

Thanks,

Julian

·
.:R32OC Site Contributor
5,616 Posts
Welcome to the club Julian :ciao:

Why don't you just sell the Caterham, and use the money to modify the R to become a suitable track car instead... drive it to the track, thrash it round the track, then drive home... see the R32 is perfect :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the fast replies!

I know it has those centre exhausts - that is what seems to be causing the problems !

Honestly - trust me - the 7 is powered by a race prepared bike engine with around 200bhp and weighs around 350kg....(!)

The R32 is a canal boat by comparison so will be staying well away from the race circuit!

So towbar it has to be!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
...Actually thanks for those links - there is a detachable towbar listed in VW's accessories brochure that does not say "not for R32" so that looks quite promising.

Will let you know what VW say.

In the mean time, does anyone here know if the R32's actual rear chassis is identical to the GTi?

If so I would consider having the twin exhausts replaced by a single one and the fitment of a GTi bumper.

...actually that sounds a bit mad re-reading it. Might be better just buying a Gti and pretending it's not front wheel drive :-(

·
1,084 Posts
GTi Ed30 has a very similar backbox muffler as the R, just the tailpipes come out in a different place.

Great links Dave, cheers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts