VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Special Member
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

Thought this may be of interest to somebody

This was sent to me by the company who makes these after them seeing a YouTube video I posted regarding the drone on the Milltek cat back non res exhaust.. The drone doesn't bother me too much as I don't use the R for long journeys and I think it's bearable but somebody on here may find this useful.

I have no idea how good these are and how they would affect exhaust gas flow and performance but the video seems fairy informative and for those who want a louder exhaust but without the drone this could be an answer.

The company is based over the pond but I'm sure shipping wouldn't be a problem.

Hope this is interesting to somebody.

Hope you're all well

Sy

·
Registered
852 Posts
You can do a number of things to change the resonant frequency of the exhaust. It's this that causes the drone.

Adjusting the length of the tailpipes will have an effect, as will adding mass to the pipe work. Like fitting an exhaust clamp etc... You can experiment by moving the clamp(s) around to change the effect.
Wheel weights attached to the pipe work or rear silencer will also have an affect.

Synapse's solution will affect flow and cause turbulence in the exhaust. How much this robs power, who knows. If they just welded a piece of pipe to the exhaust, as they have, but not utilise it for anything other than mass loading, it would still have an effect on drone.

Synapse make very good, well thought out BOV's. So you'd hope this solution does what they state it will.

Interesting video.

Paul

·
Special Member
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can do a number of things to change the resonant frequency of the exhaust. It's this that causes the drone.

Adjusting the length of the tailpipes will have an effect, as will adding mass to the pipe work. Like fitting an exhaust clamp etc... You can experiment by moving the clamp(s) around to change the effect.
Wheel weights attached to the pipe work or rear silencer will also have an affect.

Synapse's solution will affect flow and cause turbulence in the exhaust. How much this robs power, who knows. If they just welded a piece of pipe to the exhaust, as they have, but not utilise it for anything other than mass loading, it would still have an effect on drone.

Synapse make very good, well thought out BOV's. So you'd hope this solution does what they state it will.

Interesting video.

Paul
Thanks for your response Paul... I might experiment a bit and see if I can find a simple solution (I did think about wheel weights) .. As I said the drone doesn't bother me too much but it would be nice to find a simple solution for those that want a louder exhaust but don't want the drone.. Just like trying to help people out.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Just like trying to help people out.
That's what these forums should be for!

This may sound odd but, you could try fitting a resonator. When the R32 exhausts are described as resonated or non resonated, it's a misnomer. They're 2 silencer systems or 1 silencer systems. That so called 'resonator' that is removed in the 1 box system isn't just a resonator it's also a silencer/ muffler. A resonator is there simply to reduce the resonance induced by the exhaust pulses that travel through the exhaust system. It won't reduce the sound level other than by changing the resonant properties but, will change the tone, typically lowering it. Essentially, a resonator is used to shape the sound where as a silencer/ muffler is used to reduce it.

Paul

1 - 4 of 4 Posts