VW Golf R32 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Flaccid Member
1,835 Posts
So OK not the most in depth thing in the world, but even though VW used to do this for me as the cars getting on i can quite happily manage virtually all the service items now, so here goes.

FYI Elsawin says that V6 engines are not supposed to be sucked out via the dipstick method.
! It is not permitted to extract engine oil for the V6 engine !

First a list of items and torque settings for a 2008 R32 (no prices as they fluctuate to much)

070 115 562 Oil filter element (including o ring)

N 90813202 Sump plug

071 115 434 Oil filter case drain plug (including o ring) usually gets gouged up by idiots

N 90405402 O ring for above

torque settings

25Nm filter housing cover

10Nm small drain plug

30Nm for M14 sump plug (fyi 50Nm for M24 sump plug)

Engine oil grades from Technical Data book

Long life service intervals
VW 504.00 VW 503.00 approx 5.5l quantity Check the internet for oils to buy

With out long life service
VW 504.00 VW 502.00 approx 5.5l quantity Check the internet for oils to buy

VW Oil Explained here

http://www.oilspecifications.org/articles/vw_motor_oil_specifications_explained.php

Main tools needed

T20 driver (under tray)

6mm Allen key (small drain plug)

19mm socket (sump plug)

36mm socket (filter housing) or wide jaw adjustable spanner

Torque Wrench

Oil drain pan
...............................................................................................................................

Get the car jacked up and on axle stands

20160715_110217_zpsapasyo8z.jpg

!!! use the T20 to remove the 8 screws 4 either side of the under try remove this before anything else !!!

place oil drain pan under the sump plug area (preferably not to windy a day) then undo the sump plug, try not to drop it into the drain pan.

20160715_110410_zpsfjj1jhxo.jpg

20160715_110239_zps0vkou5aw.jpg

once the sump is fully drained use the new sump plug and tighten to the correct torque 30Nm

now move the drain pan to under the oil filter housing and using a 6mm Allen key remove the drain plug to drain the contents of the filter housing (silver plug in the middle of the black hexagon)

20160715_110315_zpspvp7o8s9.jpg

now your supposed to replace the o ring on this but frequently like mine was thanks VW it was gouged up so had to replace the whole plug as i'll be doing my own oil changes form now on.

so once the oil has drained pop it back in hand tight for a bit, now using the 36mm socket remove the filter housing cover and let it go into the drain pan (you might want to pop some card down on your drive just in case you drop it or they'll be oil everywhere.

remove the old element from the housing cover and clean all the parts of oil

replace the housing covers o ring form the new filter box, i comes with it.

place the new element in the housing and wipe some oil around the new o ring so it doesn't snag when tightening up.

replace the o ring in the little drain plug (if your not renewing the plug) and do everything up to the torques specified above.

Stick 5 litres of oil straight into the engine and wait at least 3 mins before you check your levels

N01-11097_zpswhr7b7vl.png

For dipstick as illustrated:
A - Oil must not be replenished.
B - Oil can be replenished up to area -A-.
C - Oil must be replenished. The oil level must then be at least in the upper third of the measuring area -B-.

- If oil level is above marking -A-, drain or extract excess oil to prevent damage to catalytic converter. - If oil level is below marking -C-, replenish oil to marking -A-. Oil specification

add the extra 500ml of oil as necessary then if your happy start the engine wait for the rattle to stop as the oil starts to pump round check for leaks after say 5 mins of running.

then replace the under tray, remove stands/jacks and clear up

·
5,492 Posts
Does anyone know if u can buy the metal drain part (the silver bit) of the oil filter housing?

My one has been rounded off by vw, so everytime I change oil, I just get covered in oil when I undo the entire oil housing cap...

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
bit of a late reply, but yes you can mate.

£15.20 from VW though lol

or £36 for the hole bottom cover which includes the metal plug.

Prices slightly less from TPS

·
5,492 Posts
bit of a late reply, but yes you can mate.

£15.20 from VW though lol

or £36 for the hole bottom cover which includes the metal plug.

Prices slightly less from TPS
Thanks Ash,

if you dont mind, could you post up the part numbers too?

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Sure,

Plug is 071 115 434

and the cap inc bolt is 071 115 433

Cheers

1 - 8 of 8 Posts