VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.
This is my first post.
Im ready to order a new car and ive narrowed it down to mk5 r32 or new audi s3.
I know this is a silly question to ask on an r32 forum lol.

Ive driven an audi s3 already and got to say i really liked the car, the only downfall is the engine noise, its boring lol.
Not driven the r32 yet as my local dealer doesnt have a demonstrator:(
One of the main reasons i want the golf is the noise from that v6. One flew past me the other day and it nearly made me go and drop a deposit on one without even driving the car.

Just sold my car which was a mini cooper s with 240bhp, that was a real wolf in sheeps clothing, embarassed an impreza or two. Reason for selling that was it wasnt a good all rounder, more of a weekend country road toy.

Anyway just wanted your views on the r32 and why i should buy one.
Spec would be either black or dbp with sat nav and recaros. Not sure on dsg or manual.
Your views are much appreciated
Thanks
Luca

·
4,328 Posts
Hiya, got to agree with you you are going to get a very biased view on this forum, but hey.

Both cars a very very nice. Interior quality i personally think the audi is slightly nicer, well quite a lot actually. Put it this way i went for a test drive in the mk5 r32 and really liked it, but i just hated the interior. Then when my parents got their new a3 i went for a test drive in the s3 and i just thought to myself if only it came with the 3.2 or the r32 had this interior it would be so so so nice. So i decided to stick with my mk4 and chuck money at it instead.

So to sum that all up, i would def go and see a mk5 r32 to see if you like the interior and again the s3, and then decide if you want a nicer interior or nicer engine :)

·
.:R32OC Site Contributor
2,548 Posts
Welcome chap. Really tough choice. Though if Audi made a 3.2 RS3 it wouldn't be! As they don't... I prefer the MkV R32 (obviously) purely because it uses a 3.2L V6 that sounds amazing, has a cooler, more exclusive image (I think?) and offers better value for money. The S3 is however quicker, more economical and has a superior interior. You can make a good case for either car really.

·
716 Posts
A real tough choice, and i was faced with exaclty the same options. I was originally going to buy a S3, But after a short while in a R32 decided i fell in love with the engine/exhust note etc etc.

The R32 is a superb car, and i think what makes it have the selling point, its more of a flagship model for VW, than the S3 is for audi, so makes it feel more special.

I interior in a golf is still a very high standard, and isnt a while great difference.

Yes i am very biased but i have only had it 2 months, so still very fresh.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Would you recommend manual or dsg?
Ive seen the launch control with dsg on youtube and it looks very good.
But ive also heard it still changes gear when it wants which i dont like.

·
4,328 Posts
davefish said:
Welcome chap. Really tough choice. Though if Audi made a 3.2 RS3 it wouldn't be! As they don't... I prefer the MkV R32 (obviously) purely because it uses a 3.2L V6 that sounds amazing, has a cooler, more exclusive image (I think?) and offers better value for money. The S3 is however quicker, more economical and has a superior interior. You can make a good case for either car really.
Got to disagree with that mate, as i have had a lot of plays with s3s and never came off worse. Also a mate has just got a s3, and on two seperate occasions has gone with two people from here and has never come off better always a dead heat.

So i would say the performance in a straight line is pretty much the same, except obviously for the sound :) :) :) :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Im definayely going to mod whichever car i go for. I know the golf and the s3 will not be quicker out of the box than my mini cooper s that i had. But a few mods will change that. It will cost way more to get decent figures from the r32 but if you like your car its well worth it.

·
1,485 Posts
I was in the same dilema, and still after getting the R used to think if I made the wrong decision...

the answer is NO.

The S3 is an extremely capable car, probably more so than the R32. It's quicker, again more so then the R32 (round a track), but imo isn't special at all.

The things that sway the R32 for me is

-Looks 'beefier'/more aggressive
-3.2 V6 Sound
-Exhuast note
-Ease to drive.

For about £900 you will have an R32 with more power than an S3, having said that for £600 an S3 will push 310bho and 350lbs/ft!

It's really down to personaly preference, but I think the things I mentioned, regardless of outright power etc, are the main contributors to many people choosing the R32 over the S3.

·
264 Posts
I had a look at an S3 before i considered the R32 but its only available in three doors which is no good for me. Dont think you would regret buying either of the cars anyway :) Good Luck!

·
2,548 Posts
pomme said:
I have had a lot of plays with s3s and never came off worse. Also a mate has just got a s3, and on two seperate occasions has gone with two people from here and has never come off better always a dead heat. So i would say the performance in a straight line is pretty much the same.
I hope you're referring to plays, pre FI ;-)

I can't comment from first hand experience yet but if we're talking about the latest generation S3 then every test I've seen has resulted in it being slightly quicker around a track. Audi also claim 0-60 in 5.7 which is .8 faster (M vs M). Not sure about 60>100 but the Audi is lighter (135KG), has more power (15BHP) and uses the same drivetrain. :unsure:

·
1,184 Posts
In a nutshell, in factory spec
S3 lovely inside, boring out- looks just like my old man's 140 A3 TDi and about as aurally inspiring.
.:R Lovely ouside but boring in- Looks just like my old mans previous Mk V 140 GTTDi.....
BUT sounds awesome!

With Recaros in the R no contest for me....until the Audi RS3 arrives...MMMMMMM

·
Premium Member
7,998 Posts
Ok folks, it seems that there is a split decision on this matter both cars have good and bad points but I think Luca is very fortunate to be in this unfortunate position if you get me? Both cars are well engineered and its a very hard decision to make. Hopefully Luca, your own personal taste and practability will prevail? Just remember its you that has to live with the car. Welcome and Good luck fella :)

Anyway, here's a video to get the juices flowing (sorry its in German) but you can get an idea......

Ahh.....Sabine :xD:xD:xD

·
Registered
98 Posts
There is no question that, out of the box, the new S3 will just beat the R32 in terms of straight line performance and handling. The lighter engine over the S3's front axle gives it the advantage.

I had the exact same dilemma when choosing and it came down to these reasons:

1. R32 is available in 5-door
2. The R32 V6 sounds spectacularly good when pootling or on wide open throttle and the miltek accentuates this even more. The S3 sounds...frankly...naff, even when on an aftermarket exhaust.
3. Remap and haldex transform the R32 to an even better all-round car than stock (in fairness as they do for the S3 which is even easier to achieve more power/torque from)
4. In stock form, the R32 top end (i.e. over 100mph) is MUCH more responsive than the S3 which actually gets a bit asthmatic in comparison at those speeds.
5. R32 is more exclusive I believe and I respect it as being more of a future classic than the S3.

Both are superb cars though. As said by others above, drive them back to back and your decision should be made a little easier.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Trackdevil1 said:
The R is lighter
The MkV R32 is actually heavier than the new S3. Approx 1510-1590kg kerb weight (depending on whether 5-door or +/- DSG) whilst the S3 is around 1450kg kerb weight.

Not a lot of difference in it though, but I found that as standard the S3 understeers a lot less than the R32, due to the lighter engine at the front. The haldex fixes this problem completely, so it now handles superbly and understeer is practically eliminated (that is on the Haldex sport mode).

·
2,548 Posts
alex_123_fra said:
I found that as standard the S3 understeers a lot less than the R32, due to the lighter engine at the front. The haldex fixes this problem completely, so it now handles superbly and understeer is practically eliminated (that is on the Haldex sport mode).
I've recently had the Haldex GenII fitted and I totally agree. Much better, understeer is gone unless the corner is extremely tight. It's very neutral in Sport mode, easy to control and actually feels safer IMO.

·
1,485 Posts
Dave, have you tried it in Race Mode yet?

1 - 20 of 54 Posts