VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to you all, ive just joined.

Just ordered a R32 on saturday, to be delivered on 1st of march, cant wait:elefant:

Pearl blue, 3 door, DSG.

Paris

·
2,808 Posts
Howdy doody.
Is your second name Hilton?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im sorry to disappoint you but im male, like off star trek voyager.

i though blue was the best colour, its unique, no other golf in the range can have it ?

·
2,808 Posts
Tut, fooled again.

·
.:R32OC Site Contributor
748 Posts
Welcome! I dont know that I could put up with a wait that long... but at least you know it will not have been touched by anyone else!

·
305 Posts
worth the wait! 08 r32, nice!

·
1,184 Posts
Good for you mate but OMG no way I could wait that long for a new car! I'd have chewed my fingers off I reckon! Glad to see it is another in the fastest colour...Ha ha.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks for the welcome guys.

Can i just ask, when i get the car, do i need to go steady for the first few miles to break her in or will i be able to put my foot down? :marchmellow:

·
Premium Member
4,542 Posts
Theres a whole bone of contention surrounding that question.

Manufacturers bench test/run every engine before it even gets near the car so in theory modern engines dont require running in as they used to HOWEVER,

My advice is to take it steady for the first 2k miles, as this is really when the engine is at its tightest.
When i bought my Alfa new i was told the above but the salesman said for the sake of 2k miles is safer to run careful and loosen it up gently.

I think if you were to rag the car from day one it would be looser far quicker in its life, but if it was my new car i'd personally run it in steady.

Sure someone will be along to say rag it shortly tho lol

·
2,808 Posts
I caned the balls out of my Civic type r when I first got it (and I do mean caned, bouncing the limiter). It ended up needing a new bottom end after 3000miles, new clutch and flywheel after 12k and a completely new gearbox after 17k. Morale of the story, you will end up paying for it if you go mad, everythings gotta bed in, that means brakes, clutch, gearbox, everything.
But then, I got everything done under warrenty. But then again, I spent alot of time driving around in a pink Jazz.

Id take it easy for the first 2k like Daddio says ^^, just go for a bloody long drive.

·
1,084 Posts
:dito:

I took it reasonably steady for the first 1000 miles. Saw the high end of 6000 rpm a couple of times due to kickdown. After I passed 1000miles, I drive how I like. (usually stuck in traffic for the commute though).

If you do any long motorway runs in the first 1000, make sure you vary the revs.

I would say you can accelerate reasonably hard, but upshift early ie before 4000rpm.

Just my 2p's and I've never run in a car before.

As the others said, there are 2 different schools of thought. The same goes for when you should first change the oil.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thanks guys for the advise.

Im getting DSG with mine, what do you think of this?. which is best DSG or manual.

i was unsure until i had test drive, the DSG was so smooth and better on juice so i decided, thats for me - did i make the right choice? :driver:

·
.:R32OC Site Contributor
575 Posts
DSG takes a bit of getting used too,but once youve the hang of it there's no going back I reckon, its all up to personal preference at the end of the day.Mind you if your waiting until March?uve plenty of time to change your mind and order it with a manual box.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts