VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you had the choice of an R32 03, 31,000 miles. A Porsche carrera year 2000, 48,000 miles. A carrera 4 year 2000 50,000 miles or a M3 03, 44,000 miles what would you choose?

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
i have voted the r32, because I have driven all 4 of those cars at length.

The carrer isnt as fast as a slightly modded r32, by a long way - as macdaddy can vouch, the carrera4 isnt really much different than the carrera, and the m3 is... well its a bmw. It does drive well, but do you really want something that is getting more and more common by the day?

The r32, is 4wd, it is limited edition, its near enough bomb proof, sounds the nuts, and is a very involving drive!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I heard from a dealer that there were quie a few problems with the carreras and they arnt as reliable as people think but that might just be him trying to push a boxter. I was also told that the carrera 2 is ever so slightly faster than a M3 and the carrera 4 is the same speed. 4.8 secs if im correct on the M3?

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
along them lines yes, but, its only 50% the car, and 50% the driver, if you get an autobox, theyre dreadful in the older porsches, and i didnt get along with the SMG in the M3. The manual m3 is nice though, but as i said in my previous post, theyre just too common, like classic scoobys now.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree with that, i went to a carpark in my local town and i saw 5 of them parked on the same floor lol. Ive heard a few problems with the porsche because its water cooled or something?

·
.:R32OC Site Contributor
716 Posts
Voted for the R32 100%.. porkers are real nice, but i like to "blend" in a bit more, i wouldnt have another M3, i got very bored. I have sooo much fun in the R32. out of list, the R32 wins for me.

·
286 Posts
I haven't driven anything else in that list other than my 03 R32. Therefore that's what I've voted for. Also, 31,000 miles on an 03 plate is very good and being the lower milage out of the choices that would also sway me.

I do agree with the M3 comments with regards to becoming very popular although I have always loved them.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does anyone know the proper 0-60 for these cars?

Bare in mind the porsche will be the 3.4 version not the 3.6.

·
2,548 Posts
Providing we're talking about these two models...

From new, both the M3 and the 911 are better cars. Personally, I'd rather wait until I had more to spend before buying a Porsche (20k is too cheap IMO). If you're "getting on" and have had plenty of cars I'd go for the M3. If you're young and only had a few I'd go for the R32 and save the M3/911 for later.

·
276 Posts
hard

my dream car is a 911 but I wouldnt buy a 996, dog ugly TBH.

Id have a 997 C2S i think, but Id need to drive one first. Would it be worth twice the price of the R?

As for the M3, not sure, not driven one maybe I should try and see. The new one is dog ugly IMO.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yea those 2 models but the 3.4 not the 3.6 model on the porsche coz it had a facelift or something. I agree that the 996 isnt as nice looking as the 997 all due to the lights but im still in love with every part of that car, ive just heard a few roumers about it being frequently faulty and have to be carefull when buying.

·
1,838 Posts
If you wan't to spend all you're time getting abuse buy the M3(not that fast).If you want to be skint all the time andweep when you see the front end buy the porker.If you want a limited edition everyday performance car that as a good community forum and in everyday driving will keep the others on there toes buy the R.Clue to which one I voted for in the answer above.PS have driven all of above and really thought about buying an M a few years ago until i drove one.

·
2,548 Posts
I followed a white one on the motorway last week and it looked stunning, although I prefer the exhaust positions on the C2S. The driver wasn't interested in demonstrating its performance unfortunately. Probably thought "who's this young chav in his peasant wagon" lol. I reckon it will take me around 7 years (for GT3 equivalent) if things go according to schedule. I plan to go Jap first.

·
276 Posts
why not ask in pistonheads general chat.

If you ask this question on an M3 forum you will get a wildly different answers like

1) Its a VW, 28k you must be joking!
2) Its not as powerful (in real life?)
3) M3 is a better drivers car (subjective)
4) It looks better (subjective)
5) Im a badge snob :D

·
276 Posts
davefish said:
I followed a white one on the motorway last week and it looked stunning, although I prefer the exhaust positions on the C2S. The driver wasn't interested in demonstrating its performance unfortunately. Probably thought "who's this young chav in his peasant wagon" lol. I reckon it will take me around 7 years (for GT3 equivalent) if things go according to schedule. I plan to go Jap first.
been there, done that. Dissapointing. What you thinking of?

·
2,548 Posts
SpoonZ said:
been there, done that. Dissapointing. What you thinking of?
Not sure yet, I guess front runners at the moment would be:

• Evo X (FQ version)
  • 350Z (I think a 370Z is on the way)
  • New Nissan GTR (step above the other two in price though).

I don't want to buy German cars for the rest of my life. Will be keeping the amazing .:R for 3-4 years though.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts