VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I don't usually post on here as I just don't get the time - I always like reading through your threads though as some of you guys have the knowledge!

Anyway, I have a Mk 5 R32 that I'm looking to upgrade again, so far I've got the generic stuff - map, sports cat, millteks, forge intake etc etc.

My first question regards rear seats - I was thinking of removing them and possibly replacing them with roll bars - will that make the car lighter? I assume so, but I really don't have a massive amount of knowledge on this stuff...

Second question is in regards to a turbo - Because I've been looking into this for a while, I realise that you'll need to upgrade the rest of the engine etc before I can just slap a turbo on there, but the main question is this: My colleague recently purchased a turbo for his motor, and he mentioned that he bought a second-hand turbo with a few thousand miles on it and just got it reconditioned - he seems to swear by it. Do you think this is something that would make sense to do? Or should I just go out and buy it?

Any help chaps?

Cheers!

RT

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Removing anything from a car will make it lighter,

So your power to weight will be looking better on paper so should be faster, but i dont know if just removing the rear bench will be noticeable in performance?!

Worth a try i guess what's there to loose buddy, remove the bench and hope for the best lol

Wez

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Leave the seats in and get a big turbo!

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Rear seats in a mark 5 are so heavy you wouldn't believe it. Definitely get them out. Plus it'll be louder, and louder is always better.

·
19,388 Posts
I would hazard a guess that the reason the rear seats are so heavy is to ensure they don't deform too much in an accident and thus offer the occupants some protection.

·
2,204 Posts
I had everything behind the front seats out of my MK4 recently (sound deadening project) and it made no difference to acceleration at all. Not that my bum dyno could detect anyway. What it did do though, was make the rear end choppier over bumps and the exhaust drone in the cabin was truly awful.

Leave the seats in!

Get a new turbo. You don't know what you're getting with a s/hand one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts