VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never been the sort to let the lack of a couple of hundred horsepower prevent me from having a go, so when tailed by an E60 M5 on one of my regular routes home this evening, I thought it would be a shame not to see what the R was made of.

Of course, despite my best efforts I was unable to shake it from my tail(!), although he did bottle the high speed overtake along the straight:proud:. Managed to put a couple of cars between us along the next section before we pulled up at the lights. Wound down the windows and told him his motor was a 'quite a bit' quicker than mine! Very nice guy was complimentary about the R, saying he thought it was still pretty quick, before giving it a full bore start with the V10 as we went our separate ways:cool:

·
389 Posts
[quote name='disco']I've never been the sort to let the lack of a couple of hundred horsepower prevent me from having a go...QUOTE]

That line actually made me chuckle out loud, love it :)

·
.:R32OC Site Contributor
595 Posts
I suppose there's no danger in the rozzers having one of those as an unmarked car.

·
777 Posts
i would imagine an R32 being driven hard on a twisty road would be a nightmare to pass unless you had something very very powerful that could handle a twisty road like a new GT-R. Its at home on those type of roads

·
2,808 Posts
I love racing these beasty saloons, theyr always so up for it, I raced a M5 in my civic, dont think he had it in sport mode though.

·
211 Posts
yes i can vouch for the comment about r32 being a mare to pass on twisties ..... i think jbs found that out last week - see my comment in the jbs forum ! - the octavia in question is their 500 bhp one i believe from a very reliable source - pointless having all that power at a flywheel if you can't transmit it to the tarmac !!!! have also given an RS4 a run for its money on the twisties - you can't beat the laws of physics !

·
1,838 Posts
The octavia in question is 440bhp and when you saw it they were doing data logs as it had a problem.This turned out to be a split hose.Was talking to the lad who owns it though and he did say he was concerned when you kept up with him,also said he had a good chat with you...I agree though to much power through front wheels:wink:

·
2,808 Posts
link?

·
211 Posts
yes it was good fun against the octavia .... and the driver and lad with the laptop were good to chat to ! even if it wasn't running 100% i'm pretty sure they got a little surprise as i remember seeing it in the rear view mirror struggling to keep the line of the particular 'airfield' in question ... can't beat 4wd on the twisties ...had a similar experience with a monaro vxr on exactly the same part of the 'airfield' and that struggled to keep the line of road - though admittedly on the straight he got cleanly away !

·
211 Posts
yes - was giving the R a little run out and often take it up that way to blow some cobwebs off strictly legally of course - the 2 blokes in the octavia both commented how well the R was running - even though i bought the car off VW dealer some 2 years ago, might get it rolling roaded since also (on the same stretch of 'airfield') gave a 360 bhp Scooby STi WRX a good run for its money so much so we ended up chatting afterwards at a local petrol station - bit bizarre really - he again was surprised even though he did pull away how well the R performed

·
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Enigma1992 said:
I suppose there's no danger in the rozzers having one of those as an unmarked car.
Very true, thankfully!

Was glad I was northbound on the M1 this morning though. Saw three Mitsubishi Evo 9 cop cars in convoy southbound......

1 - 17 of 17 Posts