VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had my Mark 4 r32 with VW FSH stolen last weekend, fortunately the car was recovered a day later because it had a tracker fitted. The only damage on the car was the lock and the ignition barrel which were both totally mangled where the dickhead had broken in to the car.

The car was recovered and sent to my local vw garage who have quoted for the repairs at £3,200. So the insurers, who value the car at £5,000! Said it was beyond economical repair! Obviously I want the car back but the insurers are saying that because the garage can't get the car started in order to road test the engine they are not willing to pay for the repairs.

I should also point out that the car was recovered literally 5mins walk from where it was taken in mint condition. So its highly unlikely that there is any problem with the engine at all!

Iam not really sure what to do because I honestly feel that there would be nothing wrong with the engine provided the immobiliser was fixed but the insurers won't have it. Plus they are only willing to offer me £5k for a car that's worth far more than that.

·
Administrator
13,972 Posts
Hi

Why do you want the car back , if some scum back had stolen my car (and he would have been a dirty scroat) I would not want to touch it again,

Plus it will be a cat D or C car ,

This is the reason that when I bought my car with a tracker I had it removed the same day as I did not want to risk the car being found if some omeba scum bag was in it

Just take the money and get another ?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
can you take the £5k and then buy it back as a non-runner?

id definitely argue the offer of 5k, if youve loads of history etc then send them it, with adverts for cars the same age/spec as yours (if poss) and they may increase it. i had this with a mr2 i wrote off.

is the car recorded 'stolen/recovered' if it is this would affect the re-sale value of you ever wana seel. how long have you had it and spent on it?

must admit if my mk5 ever got stolen i wldnt want it back. theres a nite in the glove box saying 'please burn out!'

mk5's are far more common tho. be a shame to lose a mk4.

so in a nut shell i dont know what to do if i was you!!

·
Eats Kitty Litter
7,320 Posts
If it`s just the ignition barrel damaged plus a few bits of plastic why is the vw garage quoting £3,200 to fix it for?
If it is going to be put on the V5 as stolen/recovered Cat D your loss about 25% re-sale value plus find it even harder then usual to sale so personally would get as much money as possible for the car and get a clean replacement if you want another R32. You could then buy back your old R32 and break it for spares if you wished. You just buy it back and put it on the road after claiming the insurance money if you want a cheap run around i guess but some insurance companies don`t like insuring Cat C/D vehicles though so check on the insurance side of things.

·
South East Organiser
6,827 Posts
Insurance companies mugging punters since the dawn of time.
They know full well that engine will run fine, just trying to wriggle out of course.

Can you get the car taken to another garage for a second opinion. So have you actually claimed.
If you haven't or cancel the claim. you could get a set of locks from the dealer your self.
The insurance company will do exactly this then send it to Auction.

Defo refuse the 5k, as said just trying to rip you off,
they are going up in value at the mo..

·
Eats Kitty Litter
7,320 Posts
The OP hasn`t stated what the mileage is plus colour which makes a lot of difference to the price but saying that insurance companies will always offer as little as possible to start with hoping the car owner will not be bothered to argue their corner. People can advertise a car at what ever price they like but that doesn`t mean the price is rising. The cars are getting older with higher mileage plus high running costs and not fast compared to anything slightly modern.

·
Registered
393 Posts
You can appeal against the insurance offer and they will bid offer higher.
Also if you can prove cars of similar age mileage etc are worth more. (Which they are)
You should get what it's worth out of them.
Also you should be able to buy it back very cheap.

My work van got crashed into about a year ago
Nissan quoted me £2750 to repair it
They classed my van as a cat D Wright off then I purchased it back for £275

Took the van elsewhere and had it fixed up and back on the road for under £500

·
92 Posts
As said before Insurance companies will always give a low offer to start with sure you'll get more out of them. How much had you got it insured for?

·
4,420 Posts
Hi

Why do you want the car back , if some scum back had stolen my car (and he would have been a dirty scroat) I would not want to touch it again,

Plus it will be a cat D or C car ,

This is the reason that when I bought my car with a tracker I had it removed the same day as I did not want to risk the car being found if some omeba scum bag was in it

Just take the money and get another ?
i agree with mark

·
5,499 Posts
From what you've written it sounds like just the ignition barrel is broken? or is it much more than just that?

if it's just this, then maybe consider fixing it elsewhere or getting some parts priced up yourself?

seems a shame to write off a perfectly good car if it's a simple part like a barrel lock!!

·
Long Member
1,093 Posts
If it's a low miler in good nick (excuse the pun) then I can understand why the OP may wanna keep it. Has FVSH too. I'm not sure what I'd do to be honest as I've spent a fortune on mine and I'm not sure I'd throw it away that easily. A good mk4 low miler is £7k+ min.

·
Eats Kitty Litter
7,320 Posts
Not when it is a Cat D it isnt. If he wants to keep it take whatever he can from the insurance and buy it back.

Reactions: MIQ

·
Registered
100 Posts
I would look carefully at a Cat C and probably avoid it but a Cat D is no big deal.
I just bought a CatD Mk2 valver. Window and ignition smashed then the heater matrix failed on the thiefs so car was recovered at the side of the road. Insurance wrote it off.
Paid peanuts for a decent mk2 with 85k, new ignition barrel, new matrix and window. I got the VOSA paperwork stating the car was fit for use.

Not in the same leauge as a 32 right enough but if you like your car then get it back and enjoy it.

·
830 Posts
I think I would be tempted to argue the valuation and buy it back.after everything you put into a car I,m not sure I could walk away that easily.
But I would then have to change it up a little so it didn't feel "tainted"
Just my tenpence

Matsu

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I would even let them pay you, buy it back, fix it and pocket the rest.

Or

Argue, get more out of them, buy it back, strip it for parts (you will sell parts on here very fast) then put all the money together and buy another one possibably lower mileage/better nick.

For example:
Lets agrue that you end up getting a payout of 6k, you buy the car back for I don't know for 1k (have no idea how buy back works) thats leaves you 5k, you then use a little cheap £200 run around just while you break your R taking you to £4,800. You clear an easy 2-3k breaking the R for parts.

Giving you around 7-7.5k for another R that isnt a cat D/C

Just an idea.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I'm surprised nobody has asked this yet, but how did they steal it if they needed to break the locks/barrel? If they didn't have the keys then the they didn't have the transponder chip in the key that talks to the immobiliser to allow the car to start. Did they manage to defeat the immobiliser and drive it, or was the car towed away?
think its still possible to steal early 2000 cars the 'traditional way' of snapping the barrel and bypassing the immobilizer.

later cars are much harder and almost impossible to 'steal' now without coding keys or stealing them from houses

·
877 Posts
think its still possible to steal early 2000 cars the 'traditional way' of snapping the barrel and bypassing the immobilizer.

later cars are much harder and almost impossible to 'steal' now without coding keys or stealing them from houses
Its a MK4 R32 so at the oldest it is a 2002 model and will have a Thatcham approved immobiliser as standard (immobiliser version 3 cluster). Under normal conditions this car won't start without the immobiliser transponder chip inside the key near the blade being placed near the RF coil in the ignition barrel.

I'm hoping the OP comes back to the thread to say the car was towed or lifted once the scumbag thieves had gotten access to it by breaking the driver side lock and steering column lock.

If they got the car to start without his keys then that's a bit more worrying as they might have defeated the immobiliser through the OBD port.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts