VW Golf R32 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Official .:R32OC Sponsor
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
I just thought I'd try and explain a little more about the insurer's decision to amend the criteria for our insurance scheme. Please believe me when I say that we would love to insure everybody and I've enjoyed reading people's feedback when they talk of our prices, customer service, claims handling, etc. However, the insurers have been hit hard this year and when trying to find out why, they have discovered that, in general, there are certain elements which are causing the problems. Hence the reason to only accept modifications with cosmetic changes and modded bhp increases of no more than 20bhp.

Also people must have at least 1 year's NCB - no introductory discounts are allowed, no more than 1 SP/PC/PL conviction offence per driver and minimum premiums are £250 for Comprehensive & £200 for TPFT cover.

It seems that people outside of this criteria are losing money big-time for the insurers though of course this is a generalisation as they understand not everyone claims in these 'areas'. It's just that once bitten, twice shy.

May I reiterate that it's not us who have made this decision but the insurers. Let me point you to this article which tends to sum up the market at the moment - Car Insurance Premiums Surge Ahead Over Past 12 Months, Consumer Intelligence Research Finds | Business | Sky News

·
Hard to reMember
4,500 Posts
Hi Tim,

Can you just clarify something for me? Do you only offer quotes to people over 30 who have at least 1 years experience of driving that car?

Regards

Rich

·
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
L_O_Z said:
Hi Tim,

Can you just clarify something for me? Do you only offer quotes to people over 30 who have at least 1 years experience of driving that car?

Regards

Rich
Yes for R32's.

·
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
It's fair to say premiums are increasing this year due to the increased cost of claims rather than the increased number of claims and these premium increases are imposed on us by the insurers.

Even though there is obviously negative reaction to this, our renewal retention rate has only dropped by 5% from 81% to 76% so it seems that approximately 3 out of every 4 people still renew with us.

I'm also hoping that after a period of time (such as 12 months or so), the criteria will be relaxed somewhat but we will see.

·
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
It's fair to say premiums are increasing this year due to the increased cost of claims rather than the increased number of claims and these premium increases are imposed on us by the insurers.

Even though there is obviously negative reaction to this, our renewal retention rate has only dropped by 5% from 81% to 76% so it seems that approximately 3 out of every 4 people still renew with us.

I'm also hoping that after a period of time (such as 12 months or so), the criteria will be relaxed somewhat but we will see.

·
300 Posts
Ive had a good experience with them too - better policy, cheaper excess, and 80 less than the cheapest quote I could find..

Happy new customer..

·
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Hi

Again we see the media talking about the premium increases which seem to be affecting nearly everyone.
Here is the latest article from this weeks' Daily Mail - Motorists warned to expect 'double digit' hikes in car insurance | Mail Online

For years, our scheme insurers tended to avoid these increases when all around we were hearing of price jumps.

However, fortunately, we are still writing plenty of business even though these increases have been imposed nationally. I still see on forums that our insurance scheme is making savings for forum users (and some large - a £200 saving was quoted on one forum this week!

Therefore, I'd encourage you to call us for a quotation if your renewal is due within the next 21 days or so. You will also be able to take up our competitively priced full UK breakdown cover at £54.50. Please just ask my colleague when you ring for a quote.

The new criteria of not accepting any bhp increase mods by more than 20bhp does affect some on the forum but we are still busy though we're sorry that this precludes some from getting a quote from us.

Please ring 0800 917 2274 or 01424 200477 and quote the club reference number found in my signature.

·
719 Posts
i find the whole fact of insurance absolutley ridiculous, firstly you will only insure someone if they have been driving a simmarly powered car for one year, so how do you get one years experiance if you cant get insurance? then if you live in a certain area you cant get insurance, so are you meant to move to a different part of the counrty ? a few years ago our business libailty insurance went up from £1500 to £34 000 yep thats right and then we where told it was because of the twin towers in america and the market crashing ? i think insurers make rules up as they go along penailise us for the cars we drive just because they can, if you where fifty lived in the middle of nowhere and had your car in a secret underground garage with the army guarding it they still wouldnt be happy, so putting prices up is only going to make more people drive uninsured surely, if more was done about these people then wouldnt our premiums go down,

·
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
flinty said:
i find the whole fact of insurance absolutley ridiculous, firstly you will only insure someone if they have been driving a simmarly powered car for one year, so how do you get one years experiance if you cant get insurance? then if you live in a certain area you cant get insurance, so are you meant to move to a different part of the counrty ? a few years ago our business libailty insurance went up from £1500 to £34 000 yep thats right and then we where told it was because of the twin towers in america and the market crashing ? i think insurers make rules up as they go along penailise us for the cars we drive just because they can, if you where fifty lived in the middle of nowhere and had your car in a secret underground garage with the army guarding it they still wouldnt be happy, so putting prices up is only going to make more people drive uninsured surely, if more was done about these people then wouldnt our premiums go down,
Hi
To answer your questions -
1.Re the year's experience, people tend to therefore come to us for a quote when they've insured elsewhere for a year,
2.Re the areas, again really, people just have to insure with other providers who would cover the L, M postcodes, etc.
3.Re uninsured drivers, I agree! But insurance companies can't keep making losses due to the high claims costs.

·
719 Posts
i just dont get insurance though, i can go and buy a brand new car worth twice as much money as my r and be as fast just doesnt have no gti sport r badges and leave it parked on the main road and the insurance is half what i pay on the r ? i understand that some one would rather nick my r and that there are a few dicks on the road, but if a brand new car costing 30k get wrote off and i am insuring a car at 12k costing double to insure , surely the insurers are on a loss anyway ? obviously its going to cost more to replace the 30k car?
i just dont see how it works, I once had an rx7 400bhp was worth £6k payed £1000 to insure then bought an sti prodrive 330bhp was only £450 to insure was worth £18k , i would of thought both where as pinchable both as fast but if the insurers paid out for the sti its costing them more so why is it less?

·
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
I realise it does sound strange but when insurers do all their stats, etc, they find the claims loss ratio for your brand new car is lower than it is for your R.

·
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Hi there
Just to let you know our offices are still open despite the amount of snow we've had.
Some of us, like myself, are snowed in but half the staff are working.

0800 917 2274 or 01424 200477

·
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
CHRISTMAS OPENING HOURS
Christmas Eve 24th December - 28th December - CLOSED
Wednesday 29th December - 9am to 5pm
Thursday 30th December - 9am to 5pm
New Year's Eve 31st December - 3rd January - CLOSED
Tuesday 4th January - 9am to 5pm

·
7 Posts
Called for a quote yesterday and after providing all my details I was then asked what was the best quote I had so far. When I told them it was for £358 I was told there was a marker on their intrstuctions that they couldn't offer a policy for less than £400. So if your quote is already less than that, my experience would say don't bother calling them as you will be wasting your time. Ended up going with Sheilas Wheels via confused.com.

Mike

·
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
LATEST NEWS

Hi
Just to let you know that the scheme now allows modified vehicles with an increase of up to 50bhp.

Best wishes

·
439 Posts
I tried to call you over the festive period for a quote and had to resort to Admiral.

Pity I could get hold of anyone as I would liked to have seen what price you could have given me.

·
68 Posts
Tim,

Hello, i'm new to the forum and wondered if you would insure a mk2 Golf GTI with R32 engine fitted? The engine is a standard r32 one, no mods.

Cheers.

41 - 60 of 75 Posts