VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning everyone

Im sure you will all know about the issues the site has had. In the last 2 weeks we have upgraded the server hardware, operating system, running software, made server and site optimisations and much more.

We think we have a stable base now, and since the optimisations where applied yesterday morning, we seem to have stayed stable (unless you tell me otherwise).

Thats just one side of the story, since the 'big switch' the design that was being used seems to have been causing a lot of users issues. The new software is a heavy user of 'advanced' web design techniques and technologies such as jQuery, AJAX, HTML5 and CSS3.

This means that users of older versions of browsers, namely Internet Explorer end up having a poorer viewing experience than those users with browsers such as Firefox, Chrome, Safari and the later versions of Internet explorer.

The design of the site at present, was never intended to be a permanent thing, as I always wanted to create something with a little more character much like the R32OC of old, some of our veteran members will remember this

I have attached an image of a working development design overlaid on the current forum. I am using this at the moment whilst making changes and fixing things along the way.

The idea is to give users the viewing experience they want, along with retaining the advanced features we have with the new software but for it to also gracefully degrade for those with older browsers and different screen resolutions.

You will notice I am running quite a large resolution, which allows me to see a good portion of the background image, generously supplied by Andy G from his Nurburgring trip.

I will be sending out a mass pm to everyone letting them know how to activate the new design within a week or so, if not sooner once I have finished making changes to the design and applying fixes.

What do you think ?

Attachments

·
1,056 Posts
I think it looks good now and works well. Although, I have moved away from IE recently to use Chrome so all is good . I didn't use the Forum for ages after the migration but hoped when I got back on everything would be good and thankfully it is now.

The colour combos also look good as well and I've also worked out how to use the little character people again so I'm very happy

·
1,056 Posts
Also, is there any chance of getting the Pink Elephant back or the Wobbly Michelin Man as I liked to use them as well in my posts sometimes.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I like the screenshots it is subtle and tasteful yet adds a lot to the overall appearance and as regards to the rework and layout etc that you have discussed it all sounds like it is heading in the right direction. Keep up the good work and I'm glad the issues appear to be resolved, although these things are to be expected sometimes.

Sent from my ST18i using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks benzo, the new design is going to be the one that stays for a long time. Now that the majority of the site issues have been ironed out from a core point of view.

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Morning guys,

Im going to be pming a few of you later letting you know how to access the new site layout and design for some testing.

G

·
looks 100 times better wayne and your welcome

i have noticed since the last change that it was a lot slower for me but im not sure if thats my end although it was fine before ( im using ie)
ill see how i get on if not ill give chrome a go .

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Andy, Just editing the other photos you sent to be used as backgrounds!

If it seems better already and your on IE that is a good start!

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Morning guys,

Im going to be pming a few of you later letting you know how to access the new site layout and design for some testing.
I'm sure you lots of guys helping you out but if you need any other assistance my degree is in Systems Architecture, web design, GUIs, systems testing and writing user guides etc so I'm well versed in this type of thing if you need any further input.

Sent from my ST18i using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Benzo, Im gonna be rolling it out to other user groups towards the end of the week..

·
19,402 Posts
Wayne, I've got a degree in colouring in, if that's any use :)

·
Registered
1,563 Posts

·
19,402 Posts

·
Registered
1,563 Posts

·
19,402 Posts
Yes I do like your sense of humour, very like mine but your comments are funnier.
Yes I am very sarcastic and it does get me into trouble now and again. Glad you took the comment in good humour, as intended,

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Yes I am very sarcastic and it does get me into trouble now and again. Glad you took the comment in good humour, as intended,
I know how that feels, I have to watch myself around people who don't know me well enough to realise I'm joking. Totally taken the right way Bob.

·
3,611 Posts
Reactions: Benji26

·
19,402 Posts
But you never seem to keep it in between the lines
Take a little longer next time and think of something funny :)

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
Wayne,

Under the sections "content I follow" etc, the threads with new posts no longer show up in bold. Makes it harder to see if you have new unread posts. (I use firefox)

The subscribe to thread option still does not work on the Forum Runner with my iPhone by the way. It allows you to select it, but then the next tme you go in its not on the subscribed listing anymore. PC is fine.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts