VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
168 Posts
I've had my R36 for 8 months and I absolutely love it.
We currently have 2 cars, the R36 (10 plate) and a Mini Cooper S(03), but we don't need both of them and I can't help but feel a 5 door mkv R32 DSG would suit us better and cost us a lot less than running both (the mini is getting a little problematical)
The wife needs a car to commute in and I think the R36 would be awkward to park, otherwise I'd definitely keep it
So basically If I did go for the R32, would I miss the space, the toys and the power?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Ignoring the performance side of things, I went from a B6 Passat (2.0 tfsi) to an R32 and to be honest I feel like there is as much room in the R32 as there was the Passat. Boot space is smaller but obviously a hatch rather than boot lid makes life easier!

In terms of driving/comfort/space you won't notice much difference. Even the layout of the dash is almost identical and I believe the R32 and R36 have the same toys

·
168 Posts
The boot space is not an issue and as you say the hatch has it's advantages too. It's the rear legroom that will be tighter.
I think a more or less standard R36 has more toys than a loaded R32 tbh but I stand to be corrected

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

·
1,927 Posts
I woul've thought it'd be hard to notice the performance difference, as long as you bought a DSG one? I think I'd be tempted to forego the sound and get a mk6 R, though, purely for the tunability...

·
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What toys does a r36 come with? Can't think of anything that wouldn't be in a full specced r32
Front and rear park sensors with optical display if you have the rns510
Adaptive bi-xenons with static cornering lights
Front and Rear heated seats
Auto hold
Electrically fully adjustable front seats inc inflatable side bolsters (fantastic seats)
Highline display
MFSW
Folding mirrors

on top of that I have

RNS510
Dynaudio
Premium Bluetooth with keypad
Keyless entry and start

As you can see it's a strong package!

·
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I woul've thought it'd be hard to notice the performance difference, as long as you bought a DSG one? I think I'd be tempted to forego the sound and get a mk6 R, though, purely for the tunability...
The R36 is booked at 5.6 to 60, whereas the R32 is more like 6.2 isn't it?
The're all dsg
The Mk 6 R is a lot more expensive and puts it against a sportback S3, which I would probably choose over it tbh

·
1,927 Posts
The R36 is booked at 5.6 to 60, whereas the R32 is more like 6.2 isn't it?
Pretty sure the DSG Golf has been timed at sub 6 sec, so pretty close to the Passat.

S3 Sportbacks are a lot more expensive than the 3 door versions, as they weren't released until a few years later.

·
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes m8, I had a 3 door but struggled with space in the back for my lad.

·
19,389 Posts
Just ignore the budget and go for an RS3. Sounds like the ideal car for you:)

·
1,927 Posts
3 grand difference between the cheapest S3s and the cheapest Golf Rs on AT. I know which one I'd prefer (clue: I'd be saving an extra £3000)

·
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just ignore the budget and go for an RS3. Sounds like the ideal car for you:)
Or for the same budget I could get 3 R32's in different colours depending on my mood lol!

·
1,138 Posts
Defo keep the R36. The toys you have are bang up to date for any modern car, and I would suggest you will end up missing them. I really love the Q factor they have as well. A R36 estate would be the perfect solution!!

·
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Defo keep the R36. The toys you have are bang up to date for any modern car, and I would suggest you will end up missing them. I really love the Q factor they have as well. A R36 estate would be the perfect solution!!
Yeah the estates are nice, but unless you drop lucky, you have to wait for the right one to come along, after all there's only 160 R36's in total.

·
361 Posts
Maybe consider a audi a3 3.2 sportback pretty much a r32 in different clothes and save some pennies as can be had for a few grand cheaper than an r32

·
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Maybe consider a audi a3 3.2 sportback pretty much a r32 in different clothes and save some pennies as can be had for a few grand cheaper than an r32
Had 2 before m8, lovely cars but simply put, it's not an R!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

1 - 20 of 31 Posts