VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Afternoon Folks,

Got one of those what the f*@# is that noise situations.
When hitting around 60mph+ there is this annoying high pitch squeal that sounds like it is coming from the front centre of the engine bay. It seems to stop when slowing down to around 40mph. It isn't effected by what gear is selected and continues even when coasting. AC being off or on makes no difference.

I had thought it was radiator fan fouling on something or a knackered fan bearing but I can't see anything fouling on the fans and they spin freely when the car is stopped.

I've tried to record the noise on a couple of dash cam clips:
and

Anyone had a similar noise?

Thanks!
Joe

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Gareth, sorry for late reply man, thought I got emails when I got replies to a thread, weird. Yeah I literally sorted out the issue a few days ago, however not 100% sure which thing fixed it.
I had the center driveshaft bearing replaced as it was starting to knock, so slight possibility the noise was a knock on effect on a flappy propshaft.
I also replaced the rad shroud and fans, when I took it off I did notice there was slight play in the big fan which the new fans did not have. Also the cabling to secondary air pump wasn't routed very well which may have pushing against the fan at speed, so I sorted that when I reinstalled it. If I were a betting man I'd say fan with play was causing the squeal because it flexing slightly at speed.
Hope that helps in some way! Let me know how you get on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey Gareth, sorry for late reply man, thought I got emails when I got replies to a thread, weird. Yeah I literally sorted out the issue a few days ago, however not 100% sure which thing fixed it.
I had the center driveshaft bearing replaced as it was starting to knock, so slight possibility the noise was a knock on effect on a flappy propshaft.
I also replaced the rad shroud and fans, when I took it off I did notice there was slight play in the big fan which the new fans did not have. Also the cabling to secondary air pump wasn't routed very well which may have pushing against the fan at speed, so I sorted that when I reinstalled it. If I were a betting man I'd say fan with play was causing the squeal because it flexing slightly at speed.
Hope that helps in some way! Let me know how you get on.
I will do it has driven me crazy for 2 years now will get on it as soon as the weather lets me
Thanks joe

1 - 5 of 5 Posts