VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bit of advice needed!

I'm after a rear ARB but not sure which to go for! Whiteline no longer do the 24 or 22 so there out. I've got a whiteline 24mm front and a set of Bilstein B14's on with adjustable drop links on the way for the front and a full Powerflex kit just not sure which rear ARB to go for!

Is the Nuespeed to much? And how do people rate the Wietec and H&R bars?

·
Eats Kitty Litter
7,307 Posts
Nuespeed is good but very dear. Personally i would go for H+R ARB`s

·
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Anyone know where they sell just a rear H&R bar? and they're 21mm aren't they? Not think the 25mm Nuespeed one would have the car handle a touch better or do you think it would be too much?
Also ordered the full powerflex kit so handling will be done after the rear bar and I want it to be pretty good on the country roads! No one I know can touch me as it is haha (Private country roads that is!)

·
649 Posts
Where did you get the info about the whiteline rear arb? Awesome mike quoted me on Friday for one of these, 24mm adjustable one.

·
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Where did you get the info about the whiteline rear arb? Awesome mike quoted me on Friday for one of these, 24mm adjustable one.
Directly from Whiteline mate, I deal with Whiteline quite a bit as I run www.AdvancedPerformanceParts.co.uk. The 24mm rear bar is being re-designed but there is nothing actually in place to start on the re-design work, the 22 is now obsolete and wont be replaced however they do still to a 20mm bar.

I am only talking about the bars for the Mk4 golf though!

·
649 Posts
Ah I see I was meaning mk5

·
Semi-Advanced Member
4,197 Posts
When I did mine I left the front standard and just did the rear. Its my understanding that if the set up if balanced in relation to front and rear stiffness the car should handle really well. I have the rear H&R bar set to stiff and the front end feels much lighter than before. I think sticking a big thick bar upfront on a car with such a nose heavy set up might compromise the feel on turn in a bit?

·
899 Posts
When I did mine I left the front standard and just did the rear. Its my understanding that if the set up if balanced in relation to front and rear stiffness the car should handle really well. I have the rear H&R bar set to stiff and the front end feels much lighter than before. I think sticking a big thick bar upfront on a car with such a nose heavy set up might compromise the feel on turn in a bit?
I'm not sure how just the rear feels but just having my front 24mm bar fitted with the Bilstein B14's and now the adjustable drop links my car really does feel like its on rails round the bends, there is no understeer what so ever and believe me I've tried my damn hardest to make it loose grip in the dry! The steering feels increadibly sharp now

The reason why I'm wanting the rear ARB is just after a good drive out the other night I felt the back end was slightly light and I would think the additional force on the back wheels would get shot of that, my only concern is if I fit a bar to large the back end may hold on further than the front that may promote understeer where at the moment the car feels solid just has that slight light feel towards the back end? I think I might have just answered my own question, think about it I would think the rear bar would have to be smaller than the front to ensure theres more grip at the front? I wouldnt want the front end to loose any grip because of the rear

Where did you get just the rear bar? If you dont mind me asking

·
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Went for the Weitec 22mm Adjustable bar

Will let everyone know how i find it when its fitted with the powerflex bushes

·
2,204 Posts
Complimenting your front bar with a bigger rear bar will restore the factory roll balance again + your Billy B14s, your cornering speed envelope is much larger than stock. In the dry that is
As we've discussed already, be careful in the wet. It WILL slide. You just haven't found the road speed / conditions in which it will let go yet
The R has wide tyres and weight on it's side, so mechanical grip is very good as standard.

The affects of the ARB tuning can be felt more with the stock springs and dampers. The B14s are much stiffer and therefore holding the car up more in the corners, so the effects of the arbs aren't quite as pronounced as they would otherwise be.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts