VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I have been on here for a while and never posted before. Theres so much advice and info on here theres really no need to keep asking the same questions. But. I'm at a loss right now with my Mk5.

I decided I wanted to change my interior lights to some nice white LED ones. I changed the drivers side dome light easy enough. It worked straight away. Changed the passenger side dome light. It worked but then turned off. I thought this was odd so I put the original bulb in and that one doesn't work now either. So I'm kind of at a loss. Also to go along with that my rear view mirror now doesn't dim when I push the button. This has only stopped working since I tried to change the interior bulbs.

They were error free bulbs and my rear view isn't an auto-dimming one if that helps work things out.

Any help or a point in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. I'm getting sick to death of those HID's glaring me from behind!!

·
322 Posts
Flip the tab back under the mirror....sorry couldn't resist.

You have auto-dimming, buts it's not automatic??? It should be automatic. There is a button on the mirror for mk5's and I think a green light so you know it's on. The mk4's mirror is on all the time and also shows a green light....I think. Some mk4 models have a button, some don't. My old bora had auto-dimming and had a button, true story.

Could be a fuse???

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wasn't expecting that one I must admit haha.

I don't think my rear view mirror is an auto dimming mirror. It never used to auto dim. I would have to push the button for the mirror to dim and yes when the buttons pushed the green light comes on. When I push it now the green light comes on but it doesn't dim. The reason I don't think its a fuse is surely the green light wouldn't come on to indicate that its working? I have checked the fuses as well and none are blown.

Not really to sure what to do with it!

·
322 Posts
Just having another look, i think mine may have malfunctioned. Its always dimmed, doesnt look right.

It does not get its power from any internal battery - it is powered from the harness.
The harness is connected to fuse box C in the dash for its switched power.
Fuse location varies, you will need to check a factory repair manual for your variants location,
it is a 5A ATM fuse (VW part # N 102 615 01). Mine is in location #17, but I would not go by that.

There are also two override signals, one from the reverse light circuit and one from the dome light circuit.
Both of those will defeat the dimming function when current is present,
but I am pretty sure the green light stays lit when those no-dim signals are active.

http://www.golfmkv.c...ad.php?t=147471

found this as well

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.