VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i've recently been having problems with my OE VAG MK4 Radio and CD system -

1. its never picked up AM/MW bands since i've had the car, it just gets noise. I've had it all out the car, cleaned up the contacts, removed the ariel and cleaned the contacts etc and still nothing :angry:

2. The CD changer doenst play any cd's at all. It takes them in and ejects all fine, and it changes between discs, but it keeps error coding saying 'cd error' with both original cd's and copies. Again, i've removed the system completely, then put it back in and it worked for about a day, then stopped playing them again and now it just won't work :angry:

What i'm looking for is is an OE 'look' system, nothing too flashy so that it won't get nicked, or needs a face plate removing everytime i leave the car. I might aswell go for an MP3 playing system if possible but its not critical as i am happy with cd's.

I've had a look around online radio sites but can't find what i'm looking for so as anyone got any tips for the double din, or even a single din system that doesnt need taking out everytime? Thanks for you help.

Edited to add, do these screens like this >> http://www.online-caraudio.co.uk/ishop/1126/shopscr1012.html just stay in the car all the time, or do they fold away out of sight into the dash? Surely they must get nicked all the time??

·
Registered
151 Posts
A friend of mine has that Alpine unit in his 4 motion, Their is no pop off or fold away, they do just stay like that all the time but its a awesome head unit.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
GBR Dude, sorry to hear about your problems with the kiV units, they dont have a massive shelf life so you've done well to get this long out of it. Its actually the laser that has gone matey.

OK as for OE unit that do MP3, have a look for a Pioneer DEHP 77MP, Pioneer stopped making this unit 2 years ago after it had been a best seller for 3 years (i used to work for them so i know this). Its a "traditional" looking stereo, AMAZING sound quality and it does MP3, WMA discs and will take an iPod via an optional lead though the control is tricky and limited.

You should be able to get one on ebay for around the £150 mark. Failing that, any Pioneer unit ending in RB has blue illumination and matches the MkiV dash nicely or Alpine do a few units with multi coloured illumination like the CDE 9884 that i have in mine.

There you have it pal, hope this helps,

Cheers,

Chris

CCA

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Actually i dont think i have bigged the DEHP 77MP up enough, it is an AWESOME unit, it has a Burr Brown DAC in it and the sound quality really is something else, It was basically developed for the 27+ age group who didnt want flashy graphics on the the dashboard and who wanted function over bling. But what this actually did was introduce a new sort of subtle bling. I put one of these in my mates Mk 3 a few years back and when he wrote it off we actually had to break into the compound to get it out, it now resides in his MkiV dash and awaits his new car. I highly reccomend this unit, seriously

Chris

CCA

·
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies! The more I look around at all these headunits, it does seem like the best for the money ones to get are the whole screens/dvd/mp3/satnav combos but I can't get my head around the fact surely they would get nicked in the first day! I mean a £500 Alpine screen just sitting there!

I live just outside of Croydon and most places I end up going to around here in the car are begging for a gorgeous Alpine DVD Screen like that just sitting there behind a skinny piece of glass for someone to smash. Are there any that at least fold out of sight or have covers of some sort? I just couldnt buy one that sits there waiting to be stolen.

A few years ago someone broke into the old man's company car on our drive way just to nick a sony 'TAPE' headunit ffs! Leaving a smashed window and a screwdriver jammed door lock and dashboard!

·
Registered
59 Posts
ive just bought a kenwood DDX5220 unit for £600,i could wip it out in 30 seconds once in the car!the car is garaged every night & i dont really leave it any where dodgy.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have a clarion VRX578RUSB which has a 7" touch screen that folds away and you can also remove the front when leaving the car, it plays DVD, all sorts of cd's has a cable for ipod and a clarion bluetooth hands free kit. Does the job for me.

·
4,328 Posts
Yeah im hoping it will sound and be as good as it looks, and should match in nicely with the dash surround.

Only thing i wish was that the lights could of been red.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Pomme dude,

if its anything like the kenwood 5220 or pioneer d3 you'll be able to change the illumination colour, i know you can on even the £170 alpine units.

Let me know

Chris

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Tony Dude,

its a UK version, only recently launched, £850 or there abouts matey.

You coning up here on 15th June??

Chris

G

·
Chorley Car Audio said:
Tony Dude,

its a UK version, only recently launched, £850 or there abouts matey.

You coning up here on 15th June??

Chris
AH I see couldn't find any info on them apart from the US Alpine site. I'll be on holiday Chris - I fly out on the 14th. Sorry!

·
4,328 Posts
Its the UK one which has just jut come out, ie its not on the alpine uk site yet and only a few retailers have them.

Ps the price is a bit better then that as well :)

i so hope i can change the colour as that would be great :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.