VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Just about to buy an R32 (black or silver, another debate I know)

What I would like your views on is the wheel specification questions...

I am thinking 18's over 19's as I dont want to spoil handling/ride - unless you can persuade me otherwise as I agree 19's look fantastic. But I dont want to get into spacers or suspension mods just yet.

But my main question is about wheel width... I understand the standard rim is 7.5" - does anyone know if 8" or 8.5" can go onto a standard car without any alteration??? Also can 235 tyres be used without rubbing on the arch?

What I am thinking is a set of TT Sport rims - these are 18", 8" front but 8.5" rear rims with 235/40's all round. - Does anyone know if these will go on to the R32 without any problems and would they effect the handling?

Looking forward to any views or help.

Cheers

Hunty

·
1,084 Posts
I know I may upset the applecart here, but I trust VW's ride and handling engineers.:eviltongue:

I have many friends who work in this area for BIG name companies, and literally millions are spent on this part of chassis engineering.

I'm not trying to preach, but if I change my rims I will stick to 18 x 7.5J

Bigger wheels do look phat though, and if you're planning on other chassis mods (is suspension, ARB's etc) in the future then it makes no difference.

I'm sure someone with the actual answer you are looking for will be here soon.

Welcome aboard by the way....

And Black is best!:151:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi James

Thanks for your thoughts and input - think you and I are on the same wave length here too (and also leaning towards black)

I agree totally on the R&D development that companies, like VAG, put into what is best for a specific car and like to think something as special as an R32 would have had some serious time spent working out the best wheel dimensions and suspension set up for our bumpy British roads. But, as per the TT, the standard car had its faults and criticism in the handling after the launch and recalls and mods followed - When the TT Sport came out they lowered it and changed the wheels as I menitioned above to improve the handling! (so could the R32 be improved in the same way?) (and the wheels on the TT Sport make the car look loads better too)

However, if there is a more optimum size - whether it be wider rim or wider tyre, to improve looks and grip - or whether just an improved look without spoiling any of the drive, feel or handling then I would appreciate to hear from anyones experiences - and lets face it we all know how the world of chipping/re-mapping has improved things for engine response...

Cheers

·
1,432 Posts
Depending on the offset on the front I believe you will require a spacer on the front to run 8.5wide wheels however you have mentioned you will run 8 on the front and 8.5 on the back this should be just fine with the tyres you mentioned you shouldnt have a problem.
You can even go up to 9.5 in the rear if you really wanted to as many have done in the US.

·
3,732 Posts
you should be fine with no more than 8 on the front, as 50 said the rears are more accomodating

with regards to rim size i agree that millions get spent on handling but.. cars are also designed to be generic in their handling too. they cant make different cars for different environments, they produce one model and make it handle as a good all rounder. upping to 19's and fettling the suspension isnt going to be that much of a risk as it sounds (as long as they dont interfere with the turning circle and the cars not to lowered) more tyre equals more grip as theres more rubber on the road but also more rolling friction surface.

to enhance just one part of a car though is where the risk can lie, as corresponding components may start suffering with added load and stress, although manufacturers design the car to within high tollerances anyway its always best to 'chain modifiy' and enhance an area of the car and consider all of the components related to it

dont fear it :D

i am planning in the near future on changing my rims to 19's with 8 on the front and 8.5 on the rear

the only compromise is the rubber depth, going ultra loprofile means the comfort may suffer and you shake your teeth out on bumpy roads. so tyre choice is going to need to play a factor for grip/performance/ride quality/comfort.

:driver:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers Fifty

Like the idea that 8" front and 8.5" rears will work and allow the 235's without any mods at this stage. As I am alslo looking at the BBS CH's and see you can buy these in 8" and 8.5" on the 18"ers

Guess I am trying to make mine a little bit different without going to far at the moment.

Do you know if anyone has put 235's on the standard 7.5" rims? Would this work?

Cheers

Hunty

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks also Cherry

Totally agree with the point about enhancing only one part - like a chain reaction.

What tyre sizes are you looking at for your 19's?

It is all a balance between aesthetics and overall performance I think we would all agree!

Hunty

·
133 Posts
Hi hunty, i have just changed to 8x19s (tsw legends ) and have had no problems with rubbing the car is still at standard ride height and looking closely feel that could def be lowered without probs,but at the moment feel that it looks/handles ok cheers BILL

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Bill

Thanks for the note - how does the ride compare? And is that 8x19's all round?

Just had a look at the rims you mentioned and they do look very nice. I do fancy a set of BBS CH's on 19's so its great to hear your views.

Can I ask what tyre sizes you went for?

Thanks again

·
1,432 Posts
Just FYI I am running 8.5x19s with 225/35 ZR19 front tyres and 245/35 ZR19 rears.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts