VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
Hi Purchased My RNS 510 MFD VERSION C SAT NAV Unit Today And Using An Install Guide I Found Installed It Within 1 Hour And I thought I Do A More Detailed Guide As The One I Followed Was For A Parrot Bluetooth Install.
So I Hope This Helps You Out (Includes Pin Swap To Sort Distortion)

Tools Needed: Small Flat Head Screwdriver, T20 Star Bit, Butter Knife or Trim Removal Tool

Step 1
I used a butter knife to lever up the light sensor and vent grill

Step 2
Remove this 1 x star head screw

Step 3
Using both hand fingers either side pull up on vent

Step 4
Remove 2 x star head screws

Step 5
You will need to then pull upwards and outward on the upper air vent panel to remove this

Step 6
Remove 2 x star head screws

Step 7
After Step 6 is complete the rest of the facia will be loose and just prise away using fingers

Step 8
Remove 4 x Star head screws

Step 9
The RCD 300 Unit is no loose to pull out and disconnect

Leaving you with

Step 10 (for ipod imput)
Looking at the plug you need to remove the blue ipod plug

Step 11
Then remove the black plug from inside the blue plug

Step 12
Now the BLACK earth cable needs moving from pin 2 to pin 3 to avoid distortion and poor sound quality from ipod/cd
youll need a small screwdive to push into the slot of the black plug pusing down the silve clip to release connector

Step 13
voilà Sit Back In Your Heated Seat As It Was Cold Out There And Admire Your Work!!

Please note You will need adaptors for the aerials which i have orderd and waiting on so will post up pics asap

aerial adaptors

part numbers are

4E0 035 608 K - £2.30*
000 098 707 (you will need 2 of these) - £14.46* each

*Prices from my local vw

My GPS aerial is located just above air hole in the right hand slot in this pic

For Anyone Who Wants To Know I Paid £550 For RNS 510 Version C Nav Unit Including GPS Aerial

Regards

Nick

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I fogot to say my mfsw works with the rns510 but anyone who has this fitted as standard do you the names of songs/radio st and route guidance show up on your multi function display?

·
61 Posts
If you have a C version then you need to disable BAP in device 37 (byte 7 bit 7), after you have enabled Navigation 37 in the Can Gateway device list otherwise you won't get anything displayed in the MFD :)

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cameluk said:
If you have a C version then you need to disable BAP in device 37 (byte 7 bit 7), after you have enabled Navigation 37 in the Can Gateway device list otherwise you won't get anything displayed in the MFD :)
A big thank you to Barry (cameluk) for doin this for me much appreciated :burnout:

·
16 Posts
Nice work!

First time I have heard about the pin swap, is this something that is rns510 specific?

also your climate control looks different to mine in two ways...

My A/c button is labled as ECON, which I assume is the oposit of your button eg. when your A/c light is on its using air con.

I dont have the DUEL button under my OFF button. What does this do?

Imp

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think its more to do with the ipod adaptor b4 i swapped the pin the cd and ipod quality was really bad its to do with the ground cables im sure barry or someone maybe albe to explain better!

Regarding the buttons they were chAnged on the face lift model i think, when dual is off you turn the temp dials and the both change the same when its on you change the temps seperatly i hope this makes sense!

Nick

·
20 Posts
Great write up.

I have just installed an RNS510 unit and am delighted with it. I noticed that the sound quality from the cd changer is really poor and distorted. I have never heard about the pin change. Do you think that this will sort my problem?

·
128 Posts

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes Craig i think this is correct as the ipod will only play 6 playlists, if you use a sd card which i do it will display album and track names on the rns510 and mfd

·
338 Posts
Fitted the RNS yesterday, no problem. Plugged in my ipod and remembered about the pin swap :banghead:
So took it all out again this morning and swapped pin 2 over, the difference is like night and day, its an easy job for anyone going to try it.

·
16 Posts
Big thanks to N13KKF (Nick) for supplying me with an LED RNS 510 and for all your help with postage, fitting, ipod questions etc. Top bloke, pleasure to deal with - Enjoy the beers mate!!

Also, instead of looking on the net/ebay for an aerial adapter i got mine from VW genuine part(7L6-051-551) for £22 inc VAT

·
9 Posts
Hi Guys,

I followed the below install guide, spot on ny the way!!!

My only problem now is that the controls on the steering wheel are not working, any way to get this sorted out. I lugged the old unit back in (MFD2) and they werre working again?

Cheers

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey

Cheers for the appreciation Andy glad to be of assistance, the LED is so much better especially in the sun!

As for the lack of display in the MFD, you need to check with VCDS 37 - Navi, Byte 7 and ensure that BAP is NOT enabled, this is only for newer cars like the MKVI and as your Navi should be pretty new, it may be enabled for that by default

Nick

1 - 20 of 46 Posts