VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats people recommendations on road legal track tyres?

I've bought a spare set of Alloys for track use but would prefer to just stick them on drive there & drive back. I've been looking at Yokahama AD08's as they seem pretty good at a decent price, the main thing I like about them though is the 8mm of tread in comparison to most that are 6mm

Can get a full set of AD08's fitted for £620 ish

G

·
I've used road legal track tyres and plenty of my friends have there fine But the don't like standing water just beware more so when they wear

·
498 Posts
The AD08's go off fairly quickly with track use. I've used Kumho V70a in the hard compound with good results. Not the best time of year to be looking at fitting a set though. Michelin Pilot Supersports do well enough on track and would cope well over the winter on greasy roads..

·
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've got a set of alloys for the road with Goodyear Eagle F1 Assy 2's fitted on the front & Vredisteins sessanters on the back. Would have been the Goodyears all round but my tracking being out knacked a set in 6 weeks and they weren't available anywhere when I needed a set.

The track wheels are what I'm looking for tyres for, won't be used in the wet (Hopefully!) as I'm intending to start track days next year.

What are the Kumho's and Mitchelin's like? and How much tread do they have?

·
498 Posts
Kumho's are road legal track tyre similar to Toyo R888 or Michelin Cups. Usually the best value in track tyre. The Michelin Supersports are just a good road tyre that fair well on track compared to other road tyres. The AD08's fall into the gap in between. But if you've a spare set of wheels for track use then a dedicated semi slick like Kumho or Toyo are the way to go. Federal RSR also get good reviews but haven't personally experienced them. Thread wise Kumho's come with 5 or 5.5 I think but if you're using a road tyre for track use you'll tear through the extra mm a lot quicker..

·
Eats Kitty Litter
7,307 Posts
I have several sets of road/track tyres for sale if anyone interested.

G

·
The 595 rsr's are a great tyre as are the 888 's but to get the full potential out of them you got to get them up to temp or you may as well use a good premium brand like good year f1's

·
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have several sets of road/track tyres for sale if anyone interested.
What you got mate? and how much life is left? Have to be road legal but they will only be used for driving to the track, using on the track and driving home. Only plan on 2-3 track days next year

1 - 9 of 9 Posts