VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
following on from that here is another link:

Take's under 5 minutes and they will send a fax to your MP.

http://www.writetothem.com/

They reply by letter usually within two weeks.

Given the results of the Henley By-Election yesterday, Labour are close to a U-Turn on this issue.

This is more effective than petition above as you're speaking directly to people who can change it. And if you feel strongly about it please do it, as it will influence the result.

·
1,184 Posts
First one has been done twice iirc. I'm pretty sure most of us have signed up but some new members may want to sign it anyway. 2nd post is a very good idea. ;)

·
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wrote a quick letter, straight to the point to my local councellors:

FOR THE ATTENTION OF:

Cllr Keith Prince
Cllr Graham Borrott
Cllr Ashley Kissin

Barkingside

Sunday 29 June 2008
Imraan Malik

Dear Ashley Kissin, Keith Prince and Graham Borrott,

Please scrap the new road tax bandings system! It penalises people like me who use the car for weekends and do less than 10,000 miles per year.

A car which has less CO2 emissions than mine but is driven as a company car doing over 18,000 miles per year will pollute the atmosphere more and use the roads more, hence they should be taxed more!

Put the tax on fuel, that way you pay for the actual mileage you do rather than what car you have....

Yours sincerely,

Imraan Malik

·
.:R32OC Site Contributor
595 Posts
imster said:
following on from that here is another link:

Take's under 5 minutes and they will send a fax to your MP.

http://www.writetothem.com/

They reply by letter usually within two weeks.

Given the results of the Henley By-Election yesterday, Labour are close to a U-Turn on this issue.

This is more effective than petition above as you're speaking directly to people who can change it. And if you feel strongly about it please do it, as it will influence the result.
Imster - this is a superb idea and you are a top man indeed. :star:

I've written to my local MP and i'd like to share the script with you. Feel free to chop and change it to suit you. Don't forget that you drive a Volkswagen - "the people's car" not a Ferrari, Bentley or Aston "the premier league football players car"

Announced in the budget on 12th March 2008 were increases in Vehicle Excise Duty. These announcements made reference to the fact that they were retrospective and affect all cars dating back to 2001.
Owning an older car and keeping it running is FAR more environmentally friendly than scrapping it and manufacturing a new one, no matter how much more efficient then new car is. The manufacturing process creates huge amounts of CO2.
Owners of older cars do not have choice - potential purchasers of new cars do.
I own a [year] Volkswagen Golf as a family car and this now falls into the £400 per year tax bracket. The increase in VED has seriously damaged the prices of family cars such as mine and almost completely removed any demand in the used car market meaning that I would also be unable to sell it without losing thousands of pounds.
Could I ask for your support in calling for a reversal of this unfair policy?
We all live in different areas & if we all send a snot-o-fax to our local MP telling us what we think (i) it will hopefully put pressure on the clowns in government right now and (ii) give the next government food for thought.

·
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cheers enigma! and written up really well! I should have waited for you to write that before sending off my letter :p

come people!! sign up!

·
595 Posts
I think you had started writing yours before I had - still, more choice is better than less.

Thanks for the links again - great idea.

Another good idea: Each Sunday morning we pick a different MP's home address that is not "receptive to our ideas" and have half a dozen milltek'd up R32's with the business end pointing their his house for a 30-minute sound off. :beer:

Get in!

·
595 Posts
My local mp has replied back to my request that he supports a reversal in the policy:

Yes, I totally support a reversal.
My best wishes,
At least i'm not living in a tree hugging constituency :wink:

·
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
haha he must be busy! straight and to the point answer!

Much better than my lazy councellor.. no reply yet

·
595 Posts
Has anyone else sounded off at their MP?

Everyone happy with the road tax situation? (ducks for cover)

·
.:R32OC R-Fest Events Co-ordinater/Organiser
1,746 Posts
Nothing from my MP yet. My MP is Tim Yeo; remember 'that' scandal in 1994? lol

·
595 Posts
sdmac27 said:
A bit late now seeing as labour managed to survive the vote but I sent my letter off nonetheless.
You need to keep doing this, folks!

Keep making as much noise as possible about this - they need to know that you can't use tax to give people incentives to make decisions that they have already made.

If you bought a car in the new higher tax brackets as far back as 2001 - you pay more now - this information was not made known to you then so why should you be expected to pay the price from now on? Remember also that you are driving a VW Golf - a family car, not a Ferrari or Porsche.

I think this is worthwhile and also free and a great way of telling the decision makers rather than just as part of a petition. If any of you are members of other likeminded forums, can you cross post or at least let others know there is another way.

·
.:R32OC Resident Pervert
7,935 Posts
Thought that is going ahead anyway ?

(No matter if we vote on a poll)

·
.:R32OC R-Fest Events Co-ordinater/Organiser
1,746 Posts
Heres my reply; I emailed him and he sent a letter back which I thought was quite a nice touch. Not the answer I wanted though;

Dear Mr. *****

Thank you for your email of 29 June

While it is true that the lifetime carbon emmisions from cars and front-end loaded by virtue of the manufacturing process, scrapping a high-emission car and replacing it with a low-emission one will result in a reduction in carbon emissions if the high emission vehicle is taken off the roadand the low emission one is run for a number of years.

I do not regard the proposed changes in Vehicle Excise Duty as "retrospective" in the ture sense that the term is nomally applied to taxation issues. Retrospective taxation is when tax matter relating to previous years are reopend and higher tax charges imposed in respect of past income of expenditure decisions.

A change in Vehicle Excise Duty which is introduced in respect of future years is no different because it happens to apply to existing cars as well as new ones. Indeed as far as I am aware nearly all past changes in VED during previous Conservative and Labour Governments have always been introduced in this way.

In any even the collapse in the second-hand market for certain types of car is caused by many factors, including higher fuel prices, changes in VED and a recognition that demand in future will be much greater for low-emission vehicles.

I am afraid therefore that although I sympathise with the consequences for your personally of these proposals. I am not able to to campaign for their reversal as you request.

Tim Yeo

·
887 Posts
Had a slightly more positive response from my MP, albeit a bit short!

Thank you for your email regarding the impact of Vehicle Excise Duty.

You have articulated a reasoned case and I have taken on board the valid points you have raised. As a consequence of your representations I am persuaded to sign the Early Day Motion which states:

"That this House is concerned at the retrospective effect of the vehicle excise duty changes announced in Budget 2008 to take effect from 2009; and asks the Government to reconsider".

I hope this is a helpful response to your enquiry on Vehicle Excise Duty.

Regards

Tom Clarke MP

·
Admin
9,271 Posts
Right I meant to post these when I got them....but never had time ...then forgot.... so here is the reply I got from my MP....

1ST Reply

I then sent another Email and got this reply

Reply 2

With this table

By what he is saying it has not been decided when the new tax rates will come in next year.Does anyone have a linkto where it confirms the date as next March/April.

·
.:R32OC Resident Pervert
7,935 Posts
Paulie is this any help ?

Road tax - Parker's

(Sorry but I dont know how to do the linky thing)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts