VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went up to Marbella for the day as it was bank holiday for us here in Gibraltar....driving back home after a long day out I sort hit a bird on the way home....was driving at about speeds of 160-180 kmph....speachless....:(

·
.:R32OC Site Contributor
5,616 Posts
Ooooh nasty!

Hope there's not too much damage

G

·
Oh dear that happened to somebody I know, and he struggled to get it off, tried pliers and all sorts as he didn't want to touch it. Then somebody who is a farmer just grabbed it and pulled it off - it was awful - entrails and blood everywhere.

Hope you get it sorted and there isn't much damage.

·
Premium Member
4,542 Posts
ooh thats lucky theres no damage.

I remember a guy on tyresmoke that did that to a crow and it made a real mess. Then again so did the insurance company when fixing it too.

·
146 Posts
you haven't lived until you split a rabbit and sprayed it all over the heat exchangers in an early VW Beetle. My god the car stank!

·
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It was abit of a problem at first as it was sort of stuck in the grill....but then came a worker from the shop and just pulled it out! Damage to the car is not as bad as i thought it would be....will be going to vw later today to get a quote for a new grill....iv got some one on msn threatning me they want to sue me for animal cruelty but it wasnt my fault....see what happens :(

·
777 Posts
it looks like it got creamed over your R32 front badge. If it was that curious it should have looked at the back for the twin exhausts and rear badge!! Once its prized off the grill a quick Karcher should get its remains off for good.

·
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There was no blood or remains all over the car...and yeah it sort of knocked the R32 badge of th grill....:( Gonna be my 3rd .:R32 badge in about 7-8 weeks of owner ship :s

·
1,957 Posts
Do you actually need a new grill? Be prepared to wait if you do as VW can't get stock of the damned things. I was without my .:R for a month when it went in to the bodyshop after some prat reversed into it (when it wasn't even 24 hours old!).

Had I not managed to find a grill on eBay I could have been waiting months to get the car back. All the VW dealers I spoke to (in UK, Germany & Sweden) said that they could take an order but wouldn't give a delivery date. Rough estimates were 4-5 months.

·
3,732 Posts
Manu_R32 said:
iv got some one on msn threatning me they want to sue me for animal cruelty but it wasnt my fault....see what happens :(
they can report you but not sue you but even then hitting a bird is not an enforcable incident with regards to prosecution lol i wouldnt worry :)

·
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think i will be needing a new front grill (VW Had a look at it today and will confirm with me tomorrow) Although i am considering the black GT Grille.....need some convincing but still not sure!

·
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
forgot to add...can we get the U.S Spec hole-less grille in Europe?? :)

·
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Went over to VW today and they told me that i would need to replace the whole front bumper as the grill is part of the bumper and i cant get the grill by itself. They are asking for £550 for the grill and bumper and would then need to pay extra to paint and fit it....surely there must be a way to get the grill on its own??

·
1,957 Posts
The grill isn't part of the bumper - they're talking crap. Removing the grill is easy, takes about 15 minutes. See here for some instructions on how to remove the grill.

I don't know what part number the grill will have in Gibraltar, but in the UK it is 1K0853651L3QLand in Germany it is 1K0853651L3Q7. They are the exact same thing though, my .:R is sporting a German part numbered grill that I managed to find on eBay.

From memory, the grill should be around £260ish from VW. Assuming they can actually get you one.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.