VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
.:R32OC Site Contributor
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum, doing my homework before I consider trading in my Corrado VR6 running a Rotrex Charger (313bhp) for an R32. I've test driven a couple and they are a good solid and fun drive but that punch that comes with 10psi of boost is sorely missed! So as I have the charger and some piping etc it makes sense to move it to the R32 when/if I get one.

Anyone on here running a Rotrex?
Anyone got much information on fitting a Rotrex to their R32?
I notice lots of posts about VF chargers, can anyone fill me in on where these are normal mounted?
If anything is relocated to make space etc????

Pictures or a link to a how to would give me a great insight as to fitting and locating!

Thanks in advance.

·
616 Posts
Hello and welcome!
Here is a quick pic.... I can get you more if you want and even the fitting guide if you want?

·
4,328 Posts
It would be worth a phone call to storm developments as they use the same charger for there ones. I nearly went down this route, as i heard they have one at around 600 break :)

·
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah the guys at Storm did my VR6, going in to see them tomorrow.

I take it that the VF charger runs directly off the belt train on the same side of the engine as its fitted?

Am I right in thinking the washer bottle is also relocated to make some space?

·
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers for the replies guys. Looks like I'll be taking the plunge and going for the first Mk IV R32 Rotrex conversion! If it behaves anything like it does on the VR6 then it should make for some spectacular driving! All told it would appear that the charger is completely hidden from view, with nothing being relocated.

Only thing I have to decide on is how much BHP I'm going to chase, on a FWD 300+bhp was really getting onto the edge of stupid, torque steering, tyre eating monster, and that was with uprated suspension & differential! With the Rotrex and R32 combo Bhp in excess of 500bhp/380Ibft are obtainable but how will the AWD R32 take it!?!?

What sort of Bhp/Torque are you FI guys running?

Obviously there are the Turbo kits hitting 360 and 400+Bhp and the stage 2 VF kit hitting mid 350Bhp, who's running them and how does the AWD R32 take to the extra punch?

What sort of Clutch and Flywheel combos are you running with higher Bhp/Torque?

How has the Haldex and Gear box taken to the extra punch, last thing I want is to tear anything to pieces!?

What types of brakes are you running, stock, porsche, brembo, ap racing etc?

Sorry for all the questions but I've been through the FI conversion before and would prefer not to make any rash or ill informed decisions, so best bet is to ask those who are there already on the R32.

Cheers again

·
616 Posts
Well I'm running the VF stage 2 (350BHP) and switchable race file 400BHP
The AWD takes it without any problems, I have had the traction control disabled though.... I hated the way the traction would come on ever when you'd manualy turned it off.
I'm back to a stock clutch/flywheel. I was funning a Fedanza flywheel (pants) and a Sax clutch but it got distroyed somehow!
I'm running the blue haldex in mine and it's fine (currently a stock gearbox) but I have run a quaife box and LSD in there and it was fine, it should be going back in soon. The only problem was the uprated clutch and flywheel.
I'm running the Porsche/ECS stage 5 setup and they are great! I love them to bits. They are a Brenbo caliper coated in blue so they look stock.
Hope this helps!

·
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the reply Deckedr32.

Does that porsche brake setup fit under the stock wheels without spacers?

What was up with the Fidanza, I run one on the VR and find it tore through the rev range on N/A?

Where did you manage to scare up the Quaiffe box, those things are like rocking horse sh*t!?

cheers

·
1,222 Posts
CraziScot, I would be very interested to hear your comments on the Rotrex Charger for the R32! if you get it fitted.

I phoned them up about 4-5 weeks ago and they stated the following prices

£5000 for 400BHP
£7000 for 500BHP

They did appear to push me towards the 400BHP! seemed a little strange why they were not that keen on selling the 500BHP. it could just be getting the wrong end of the stick.

·
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The kits I assume will be similar to the Stage 1 kit I got for the VR6, all parts include (ie Charger, pipework, HT Leads, Plugs and any other bits).

zirconium, have you considered 500+bhp on a road car that was made stock at 240bhp?!?!? In all likelyhood it will tear your gear box, clutch, and flywheel to scrap and thats just the start of the problems! VW only build in a certain safety factor, pass that level and good luck, its time to start sinking thousands into the engine bay! My VR6 on 313bhp was a beast, but as above it was starting to cause me more grief with clutches etc that was not sensible for a day to day car!

·
1,222 Posts
Hi CraziScot

Yes I had consider the impact of putting 500BHP on a car that was made to do 240 + a little, I was just surprised when then discouraged me from thinking about the 500BHP. If I was a salesman I would put both options to the customer! would you?

It like you going to VW and asking for a R32 and the bloke tells you NO and r32 is not what you want a 1.0 Fox is what you need.

If I did decide to go that route in the long run then I would have to upgrade various parts, the company I am using JMR to look after my R32 is very good and we are doing things slowly! He know my long term goal for the R32 (400BHP+) so we are upgrading the car slowly

By the end of October I will have Hi-flow Cats and Free Flow Manifolds Fitted.
By the end of Jan 2008 I will have 268/264 Cams and Remap + Haldex Upgrade
By the end of July 2008 ECS Stage 5 Brakes
By the end of Nov 2008 upgraded suspension

And so on..

I see the R32 as a long term project, with me upgrading parts slowly so when I do decided to Go Stage 3 VF or Turbo or Rotex then I will have done all the mods for the car to cope with that power.

·
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Fair point bud, I do agree on that one!! Didn't mean to sound a little brash earlier BTW, was early morning....

Looks like you've got a serious plan on the go to sort your R32 out, would be intrested to know what you think of the High Flow Cats, manifold, and Haldex upgrade as I'm considering these as some of my first mods!?!?

G

·
zirconium said:
By the end of October I will have Hi-flow Cats and Free Flow Manifolds Fitted.
By the end of Jan 2008 I will have 268/264 Cams and Remap + Haldex Upgrade
By the end of July 2008 ECS Stage 5 Brakes
By the end of Nov 2008 upgraded suspension

And so on..

I see the R32 as a long term project, with me upgrading parts slowly so when I do decided to Go Stage 3 VF or Turbo or Rotex then I will have done all the mods for the car to cope with that power.
Nice plans Zirconium - I would conside though doing the suspension before the brakes and cams.

Your plans are how my car is set up now (minus the Stage V brakes) and all I can say is that it is amazing and would well recommend it. I do think it is a good idea to improve the handling before you add much more power :151:

·
1,748 Posts
CraziScot said:
The kits I assume will be similar to the Stage 1 kit I got for the VR6, all parts include (ie Charger, pipework, HT Leads, Plugs and any other bits).

zirconium, have you considered 500+bhp on a road car that was made stock at 240bhp?!?!? In all likelyhood it will tear your gear box, clutch, and flywheel to scrap and thats just the start of the problems! VW only build in a certain safety factor, pass that level and good luck, its time to start sinking thousands into the engine bay! My VR6 on 313bhp was a beast, but as above it was starting to cause me more grief with clutches etc that was not sensible for a day to day car!
what you say is valid but i had a diffrent experiance with my vr6 its running 320 hp with a vortech charger and its not broken anything mechanical including the stock clutch lol
rotrex stage 1 kits now use low comp pistons and make 475 hp 395 lb ft im tryin to setup a group buy atm dont forget that centrifugal superchargers are much kinder to transmissions than turbochargers (although the torque graph for the jbs looks absolutely perfect) because theres no big sudden kick

·
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Bit of thread resurection!!!!!

You really don't need to try to convince me about how good the Rotrex is, I chose it for my Corrado very carefully, for the reasons that it is linear, doesn't suffer belt slip like the VF/Vortec kits, creates much more horses from a similar boost as the VF/Vortec and cost a guts load less than turbo but with similar power figures. I loved my Corrado, but trust me the punch from a Rotrex is much more turbo style, with the exception that it comes on a little easy then launches the car to the red line.

The Corrado also had a short G60 gear box in it which meant my abuse of the gears, clutch etc was much more vicious but to be honest the R32s box isn't much different to that one.

If I wanted that crazi power again from the R32 I'd be speaking to Storm as they do all my work, was speaking to them earlier about the Rotrex kit amoungst other things, Andy was telling me how much his wife has enjoyed driving thier Rotrex R32 as a daily driver!!!! If thats not a good review then what can we all say?

If you want the mad power dive in, you'll love the Rotrex system and the customer care you get from Storm!

·
1,748 Posts
Hi John,
Parts list is as follows :
6 x high flow injectors
1x inline fuel pump
6 x low compression forged pistons
1 x supercharger
1 x bracket
1 x oil kit
1 x high flow intercooler
1 x 40mm dv
all piping
maf wiring
1 x belt
1 x crank pulley
1 x radiator fan switch
1 x thermostat
1 x Rotrex oil cooler
1 x rear engine mount
brackets for all coolers
1 x ecu re-map
1 x oe head gasket
various pipes and clips etc.

advise - this kit should be used with high flow cats or decat pipe and a 6 branch manifold to lower egt temperatures'.

·
346 Posts
That all sounds great. Looks as if Zirconium is on a similar plan to what I have in mind! :top:

Just a couple of quick questions:

Is the Rotrex going to be available for the MKV???

Can the kit be purchased in parts and done over time or does it have to be done all at once?

How would a DSG gearbox handle being supercharged close to that and what options is there for DSG???

·
405 Posts
the dsg would likely be fine,

Yes the rotrex is available from storm devlopments howver its still in development for the mkv although ium sure they will hurry up if u ask them,

No the kit would have to go on at once to be sure and safe,

·
346 Posts
That's what I thought!!! I will have to save a bit longer!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts