VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've got rust in the wheel arch/sill area of my MK4 and I'm looking for a good place to get it repaired in the Cambridgeshire area (or close to it). I have a reliable mechanic that I take my car to and he has a body shop that he recommends, but when he asked them they weren't interested in the job. He said he also asked around and no one seemed interested!

I've attached some images. The drivers side is noticeably worse as this is the side with the wheel liner/sill issue, but my mechanic said its worth having both sides looked at as they are likely to both need doing and its true that looking down with the door open I can see a bit of rust appearing on the passenger side too.

I think I'll need the wheel liner and side skirt replacing on the drivers side. My mechanic did say its probably better to get the rust repaired rather than replacing the sill as he said the new one won't go on as well as the original, not sure if it is better to get it repaired rather than replaced?

Does anyone know of any places that will fix this permanently?

Cheers

Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Car

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Wood Gas

Automotive parking light Grille Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tail & brake light

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yep they will need cutting out and replacing. Once you find a little you’ll find more.

i have just had my Mk4 done. I had both wings replaced, I supplied the sills and some of the floor had to be fabricated. It’s had more work done but all in its cost me around £2200 and that was at a genuine restoration place, to be fair I was happy with the price. Couldn’t fault them although far from you in Wiltshire. This is mine currently, all callipers are being replaced at the moment to.
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Car Vehicle

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep they will need cutting out and replacing. Once you find a little you’ll find more.

i have just had my Mk4 done. I had both wings replaced, I supplied the sills and some of the floor had to be fabricated. It’s had more work done but all in its cost me around £2200 and that was at a genuine restoration place, to be fair I was happy with the price. Couldn’t fault them although far from you in Wiltshire. This is mine currently, all callipers are being replaced at the moment to.
View attachment 270390
Thanks for the picture and information. I’ve found a place nearby that have at least said they would do it. They said the best thing was for them to pull the side skirt off and then me come back and have a look with them, so I’ve booked that part in at least. So you have replaced the sill rather than repaired? And the rust went all the way to the floor?! Do you know if the side skirt is glued or clipped on?

·
Registered
19 Posts
That’s what the place I took mine to done. It’s best to just replace them and they are cheap enough. Mine were tiger sealed so I’m guessing someone had them off before. Nothing worse than non honest previous owners

1 - 4 of 4 Posts