VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, apologies should anyone be offended by this thread. We should all drive safely in the first place. Some people think that that means within the speed limit regardless of conditions, and regardless of the limit.

I was wondering (having just been flashed so obviously a selfish motivation here) whether anyone had any interesting traffic police/traffic camera stories or any experience of loopholes or getting off?

·
Registered
184 Posts
While I'm sure that everyone will agree that driving at inappropriate speeds is dangerous, the fact is that a fair proportion of speed limits are set at levels well below the safe maximum speed for the roads they're on, for traffic management, environmental or just plain political reasons. Even the safest driver can fall foul of a speed camera and the "policing by post" system takes no account of mitigating circumstances or a previously excellent driving record.

Loopholes in the system are hard to find, but some do exist.

http://forums.pepipoo.com/ & http://www.safespeed.org.uk/forum/ will tell you everything you need to know.

·
1,084 Posts
You think you have it bad in the UK........ (well, true, the govt are just out for the cash)

In Japan we really do have Private Motorways (ie the entire motorway network is private toll-roads). The speed limit on most is 80kmph, the fastest ones are 100kmph.

Urban roads limit is generally 30-40kmph.

Generally the driving standard here is very poor, which is one of the reasons I'm not getting another motorbike.

One good thing is that the camera's aren't so blantantly government cash generators, and even on a 100kmph road, I think they don't trigger until 150kmph.

Good luck with the loopholes!

An old one I used to know of is that if it's a rear facing camera, say you were unsure who was driving at the time. This has been used a lot though, hence the growth in forward facing cameras that snap your face.

I know a few bikers around London/Surrey, who have venetian blind style number plates, so they flick a lever and the plate shows a special message to the camera operator. (or you just have velcro holding the plate on and take it off when you go for a burn) This only really works with bikes though, as they can outrun pursuit vehicles.

I would like to point out, that I have never done any of the above.

Once again, good luck baradona! (In general, with a high performance car, the insurance didn't go up for me too much when I got points).

J.

·
.:R32OC Site Contributor
1,485 Posts
Is it true that in Tokyo if you're going over a certain speed they won't chase you becaus they know they won't catch you - or is that just for Tokyo Drift?

·
.:R32OC Site Contributor
2,548 Posts
EdHoskins said:
Is it true that in Tokyo if you're going over a certain speed they won't chase you becaus they know they won't catch you - or is that just for Tokyo Drift?
Lol Ed, I think they've probably got helicopters and radio's over there these days ;-)

·
1,084 Posts
Seeing as we have totally de-railed this thread. I'll continue....

This is the typical Japanese cop car.:secruity: You see the same old pieces of s**t everywhere. Its a Toyota Crown. Engines are between 2.5V6 and 3.5 V6 developing 215 - 315 bhp (the non-police versions anyway).

The funny thing is, emergency vehicles here must obey the rules of the road, speed limits, traffic lights, no overtaking zones, everything. EVEN AMBULANCES AND FIRE TRUCKS!!!:wtf:

When I was browsing for this pic, I came across the one below. Have never seen anything other than the above though.

And don't even get me started on Taxi's :damnmate:

·
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the links antera

I've seen a couple of scooby police cars over here in the UK. That Toyota Crown is fcuking ugly

·
267 Posts
Hey Baradona,

To be honest if you are looking at 3points +60 i would take it as there are NO real get out clauses ......

If your licence is in danger then spend the money on a good solicitor but , beware the courts are getting really heavy on speeding these days as i have found out to my cost .

Good luck ........

sp

·
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
In anticipation of an endangered licence I've invested in a Road Angel Navigator 7000. Really pleased with it so far - the navigation's spot on and it's covered every camera I've come across so far. It also covers the sites at which speed camera vans are going to be operating in any particular period (apparently these are published by the authorities on a regular basis so each update contains new locations. 180 quid from Halfords.

Interesting to see how "enthusiastic" the speedo on the MkV R32 is too... pretty inaccurate at high speed to say the least

1 - 13 of 13 Posts