VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
4,645 Posts
Quite often I drop my lady back at her house late on a Sunday night and this is when they are out on the roads spreading the salt should they deem it neccesary.

The first time this happened, I came to a roundabout I always give it a little beans round and the arse end just whipped out like never before. Then came out the Sunday just been, at the same time to see they had recently salted the roads. This time I was more ready, but true enough the roundabouts were really slippery again.

So my question is this, does a fresh salting on roads that are no where near freezing result in the road being slippery initially? Tried googling it to no avail. Perhaps it acts to draw some oils or other residue out of the road surface.

I dont suppose the salt and grit particles are large and numerous enough to cause the tyres to be carried across the surface.

918 Posts
Nothing to do with oils, just a newly laid loose gravel type debris surface resulting in the tyres not being able to grip the actual road as much.

· Administrator
11,639 Posts
Poor some salt on a work top at home then run your hand across it, this will answer your question

Sent from my iPhone 9 in a Time Machine

918 Posts
Poor some salt on a work top at home then run your hand across it, this will answer your question
Exactly, just as I said.

· Registered
4,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Glad you guys agree with my theory, the dudes I work with that don't care about cars in the slightest thought I was mad as "how can something put down to make the road less slippery make it more so?" yadi yadi yada.

In my mind, I didnt think the particles were large or present enough to mechanically reduce tyre surface area contact but fair play if that is what you think it is. I would like to know if there is any chemical reaction going on too though.

· Premium Member
14,955 Posts
Glad you guys agree with my theory, the dudes I work with that don't care about cars in the slightest thought I was mad as "how can something put down to make the road less slippery make it more so?" yadi yadi yada.

In my mind, I didnt think the particles were large or present enough to mechanically reduce tyre surface area contact but fair play if that is what you think it is. I would like to know if there is any chemical reaction going on too though.
The salt only raises the melting temperature of the ice.

Salt water will freeze at a much colder tempreture than 0.

I think i said it the right way round

· Registered
4,645 Posts
I was wondering as to why the roads feel more slippery after they have had salt and grit dropped onto them in situations where there is no water (or very little) present and temps are above freezing. For example on a night where they expect early morning temps to be below freezing.

So people were kind enough to post their thoughts as to why this might be, common consensus is that it is literally due to mechanical reasons. The salt and grit reduces contact area for the tyre so there is less friction and therefore less grip.

I just wondered if there is anything more to it hypothetically.... like any residues or low level fluids intereacting with the salt and producing less grip chemically.

Reactions: PaulW

· Registered
201 Posts
SplitPersonality said:
I was wondering as to why the roads feel more slippery after they have had salt and grit dropped onto them in situations where there is no water (or very little) present and temps are above freezing. For example on a night where they expect early morning temps to be below freezing. So people were kind enough to post their thoughts as to why this might be, common consensus is that it is literally due to mechanical reasons. The salt and grit reduces contact area for the tyre so there is less friction and therefore less grip. I just wondered if there is anything more to it hypothetically.... like any residues or low level fluids intereacting with the salt and producing less grip chemically.
You wound also find it hard to find grip if there were marbles all over the road the salt and grit is there to do one thing

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.