VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to buy a smaller ariel, but am unsure if ok to use with sat nav - anyone have an ideas? :confused:

·
947 Posts
I might be wrong but I dont think the aerial has anything to do with your sat nav.

·
1,432 Posts
You may find a small block on the dash by the window which is the GPS antenna.

·
Premium Member
4,542 Posts
The definitive answer is the smaller ariels wont fit. If the car came with sat-nav then you'll have the larger gps roof ariel mounting
The antenna has a larger thread than the standard antenna and costs £59 without the VAt
I should know as the previous donkey owner has snapped the end off mine and i'm still trying to find a scrapper that has one

G

·
Emma said:
I wanted to buy a smaller ariel, but am unsure if ok to use with sat nav - anyone have an ideas? :confused:
Was your sat-nav fitted aftermarket?

Easily checked for - if you have a full height FIS then it was factory fitted and your roof aerial will be different.

If you have half height FIS then it was fitted as an afterthought and the GPS aerial will probably be behind the dash. If this is the case you'll be able to get an aftermarket aerial.

·
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
khutula said:
Was your sat-nav fitted aftermarket?

Easily checked for - if you have a full height FIS then it was factory fitted and your roof aerial will be different.

If you have half height FIS then it was fitted as an afterthought and the GPS aerial will probably be behind the dash. If this is the case you'll be able to get an aftermarket aerial.
It was factory fitted, not sure on size with check when go out later...

Even if sat nav dont work with a smaller one I guess I could just replace it for shows and that then put original back on? :confused:

·
Premium Member
4,542 Posts
its not that the sat-nav doesnt work, its the fact the thread is a different size so the stubby ariels just wont fit.

·
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
macdaddy said:
its not that the sat-nav doesnt work, its the fact the thread is a different size so the stubby ariels just wont fit.
OHHHHHHHHHHHH I get ya - well thats poo :(

·
Premium Member
4,542 Posts
you could always chop the standard antenna down, i've seen that done and it doesnt affect reception.

However at £59 + for a new one i'd leave it

1 - 9 of 9 Posts