VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Came back from the shops today to find a good 10" scrtach x2 on the bonnet and near side front wing - very upset and feel absolutely gutted!!

Had a quote to get the bonnet etc resprayed at it is particularly filthy......what I need to know is that I can not afford to get this done for a couple of weeks and so what can I do in the meantime to minimise any further damage (it is garaged 90% of the time).

i.e shall I T-cut it to start with? Sorry I am a bit of a layman and have never had this happen to me before.

Any advice appreciated.

R32Dub

·
Premium Member
7,998 Posts
Hi R32 Dub, Firstly is it deep ie can you get your finger nail into the scratch? If so then you will need to paint it cos it's too deep to polish out I'm afraid. :(
I would try a company like 'Chips A Way' it might be cheaper? I hope you get sorted fella, good luck. :wink::)

·
.:R32OC Site Contributor
5,616 Posts
I'd also recommend getting Chips Away to come and quote. Had one of their guys sort out a massive stone chip in the bumper and I cannot fault the work one but.

·
Registered
46 Posts
If its garaged most of the time i wouldn't worry about it mate if its going in in the next couple of weeks, i'm not a massive fan of t-cut so i tend to steer clear of the stuff.
I would have thought you would be fine it would take alot longer than that for any rust to set in.

·
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks. It is quite deep and so will defo need to be painted - great!!

It is in the garage virtually the whole time and hopefully should not get rained on before I can get it painted...

And there was me thinking (and saying) that the car get so much positive attention!!! I guess it is ubnfortunately part of the territory...

·
Admin
9,271 Posts
Is it like a key scratch coz if it's not to wide some one like chips a way could possibly fix it and the it would keep the rest of the paint original.What colour is your car.

I know yours is a scratch and not a stone chip but have a look at this....just shows what is possible.

Stone Chip Repair Guide - Detailing World

·
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Paulie - I think this 'scratch' is on a whole nother level!! I do not even know what they did it with as don't think it was keys - think it might have been a local holiding a tool of somekind.

My car is DBP - the guy I spoke to knew the r32 colour and seemed to think it would all be ok in the end? I know it may never look quite perfect but anything would look better than it does now!

Will let you know how it pans out

·
2,808 Posts
What was the quote for the damage?
Albertkr has some carbon fibre ones arriving in 2weeks (I hope). Upgrade to one of them, thats what Im doin after some fatso sat on mine.

·
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have phoned chips away to come and have a free look - just to check nothing can be done without a repaint. The guy was just giving me a rough quote but I think I am looking at the thick end of £500 to get the whole bonnet done.

Really upset by the whole thing - although may be more upset if 'some fatso' had sat on my bonnet - I would have chased him until he lost the weight.

Fingers crossed for chips away guy

·
2,808 Posts
£500?! Get a carbon one of bertkr.

Ps. would have loved to have caught the tub of lard that sat on mine, he would of lost more than just weight if Id caught him.

·
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The quote came from a local guy - but he did fix up my mate's dad's porsche and did an amazing job. I know it is truly astronomical but I really want it to look seamless and he seems to think with the DBP colour it is extra important....

....what sort of money should I be looking at for a respray of the bonnet and touch up any other areas etc?

And any ides for where this can be done is the South West??

·
2,808 Posts
My mate owns a bodyshop in Milton Keynes and would probably do it for about 200quid, its only a scratch, no filler required etc. For 500 you could buy a new bonnet (£125) and get it sprayed twice!
Defo wouldnt get it done for 500quid if I were you, not unless you get a go on his wife.

·
1,184 Posts
With a bonnet respray you will also need the wings blending backwards or they will look a different colour and this is prob why he quoted so much. Is it not worth speaking to your insurance co, how much is the excess?!

·
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah the guy was talking about 'blending it' or something similar as he was convinced it would look a different colour. I think it will need some sort of filler as it is truly horrendous.

Insurance company - could do it as my excess is £150 (I have a history of speeding!) - however I am looking to get something even faster in near future and want to keep my insurance as intact as possible. I reckon if I go and see the guy and maybe get a few other things done at the same time - I was ironically going to get paintwork protected? Also need tyres etc so hopefully we can come to a much better deal.

All of this talk of carbon fibre bonnets is interesting me though - how much are they?

·
2,808 Posts
700quid from the TT shop but Im getting one from my friend who imports Jap kits, hes got 2 mk5 ones arriving in 2weeks. Not sure on price yet but itl be less than 500quid Im sure. If you can wait 2weeks then Id do that. He can get MK4 too but you'd have to wait 4weeks.

·
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
oooh.. sounds interesting, although we could need a Mkiv one though - very impatient person and not sure if I can wait 4 weeks as my car looks like it has lost a fight to a truck.......

.......as for 500 quid to get paint done and be getting a go on his wife.....the price would need to be considerably lower than that - she ain't no looker (and weathered)

...will go and have a little think and probably get some more quotes done around the £250 mark

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yea will need blending 100% because of the colour, £500 quid is alittle steap might be worth shopping around. A decent bodyshop/sprayer shouldn't have a problem matching the colour using the colour code on the car.

·
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the reply - do you know of anyone that could do it in the South West - I live in Bristol? - or does anyone come highly recommended? (I can make it over the bridge to Wales if in Cardiff or Newport).

Cheers, desperately want to get it sorted......went out to see it this morning and think it was actually worse than I remember it!!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.