VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys, could someone tell me the difference between sealant and wax and alos do one of these go on after polish?? just trying to get to know about the detailing side of things. so might be a few more Q's soon hahaha

·
Premium Member
4,542 Posts
Correct me if i'm wrong but........

Wax usually for the shine side of things.

Sealant is a less glossy more hardwearing wax that should last ie for winter protection.

I've recently bought collinite 915 which is a great sealant then i follow it up with DODO blue velvet for the shine.

·
.:R32OC Site Contributor
1,485 Posts
Collinite 915 is a wax.

You won't be benefiting from layering them on top of each other, and I'd go as far to say that the collinite is providing a less from perfect surface for the Dodo to bond to, thus reducing durability and looks significantly.

With modern sealants and waxes, I can't honestly tell you the difference, as now days they both seem to do the same job and can give similar looks (however waxes are often thought to have the edge in looks over sealants).

·
Premium Member
4,542 Posts
EdHoskins said:
Collinite 915 is a wax.

You won't be benefiting from layering them on top of each other, and I'd go as far to say that the collinite is providing a less from perfect surface for the Dodo to bond to, thus reducing durability and looks significantly.

With modern sealants and waxes, I can't honestly tell you the difference, as now days they both seem to do the same job and can give similar looks (however waxes are often thought to have the edge in looks over sealants).
Well there ya go then, perhaps two coats of collinite OR two of DODO would be better then ?

Looks like the collinite's gonna be for her car then :cool:

·
90 Posts
Sealant is polymer based - fabricated. Wax is based on oils/treesap/natural prodcuts..

Sealant generally gives longer protection and deeper reflections while wax tends to give the paint glow and a wet look.

For Sealants i wouldn't look past Jet seal/Zaino Z2 and CG blitz the latter being my weekly top up spray.

Wax, colour dependant, Swissvax ONYX or 50:50...Dodo hav a decent range worth a look but i've only tried Purple haze and i favoured my inital 2 options.

Ali

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.