VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm toying with the idea as getting something literally cheap and cheerful to get me to work and back everyday so I'm not putting such high mileage on the R.

How much extra (I know everyone's different) would I expect to pay for a second car?
My conclusions are that if I choose to have the second car as third party only, it's slower etc, worth nothing and the simple fact that I cannot be 2 places at once so my annual mileage won't change (infact my risk factor of commuting in the more expensive R32 everyday is nulled).... then I should be paying only the admin cost of adding another car to my policy?

Just wondering people's experiences and welcome feedback on my points above from members and the insurance sponsors alike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
19,388 Posts
3rd party isn't much cheaper than fully comp these days even for a shed as the biggest risk is 3Rd party liability.

You'll need a separate insurance policy for the 2nd car. On a normal insurance policy you can't just add a car. Even multicar policies are separate policies for each car. Another insurance industry smokescreen.

You can only use NCD on one policy although some insurers will mirror it on another policy. Chances are the cost to insure the 2nd car will not be as cheap as you would expect and might even be more expensive than your R insurance.

One thing to note about insurance is that common sense amd logic are not taken into account.

Obviously you have the tax, maintenance and MOTs on the 2md car.

You need to weigh up the costs of running a 2nd car vs just driving the R32.

Cars are for driving and unless it's a collector's item you shouldn't fear add miles to the R32.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Whilst you might be able to only physically drive one car a time there's nothing stopping each car being vandalised, stolen or damaged in any other way at the exact same time so they're both risks in their own right for private individuals.

I guess it depends on how many miles you're actually going to be doing but our resident Mystic Meg above has covered most considerations for having a second car.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Whilst you might be able to only physically drive one car a time there's nothing stopping each car being vandalised, stolen or damaged in any other way at the exact same time so they're both risks in their own right for private individuals.

I guess it depends on how many miles you're actually going to be doing but our resident Mystic Meg above has covered most considerations for having a second car.
Yeah but that's why I thought if the second car was third party or at least a lesser value than my excess then there would be no extra risks incurred to the insurance company should I need to claim because that's where it applies that I could only drive one car at a time.

Bob is right when it comes to logic and common sense, insurance companies take no notice and are literally a law onto themselves. There doesn't seem to be any actual governing body or human rights involved. Especially no gender equality (despite it being a law)... I don't know how they know all these loop holes or why they haven't been filled but it shouldn't be this hard/expensive and worrying to deal with insurance.

The main reason I want to keep the R's miles at where they are (ish) is just for resale value. Done 20k since I bought it June 2015. Now I'd like to keep it for weekends and run something I don't mind assholes banging doors into in car parks etc.

I'm wanting a car that costs basically nothing to tax, cheap insurance, fuel and very cheap to buy. Any ideas on a car? I can at least get some quotes then to determine viability. Was considering old saxos, fiestas etc that I can get through an MOT at least once

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Plus I'm filling my tank up around 4 times a month at the moment so would like to cut that down to 1 tank for the R a month and 1 for a cheap shitty car

·
Registered
495 Posts
Might sound like I'm playing devils advocate here but I'm really not. The car insurance industry does appear to have a cartel on these sorts of things but at the same time you have to take stock of how they actually operate.

The minimum requirement for insurance is third party cover. As I said whilst you can't drive two cars at once, which might mitigate your overall risk as a driver, both vehicles could create a situation with third party liability at the exact same time. For example, one car could spontaneously combust and cause damage to someone's property whilst the other car could be parked on a hill and have the brake let go and damage another vehicle. A very rare scenario I'll admit but the potential for a third party claim is always there on both cars.

At the same time going from an R32 to something a little more run of the mill induces extra risk. The human body learns to adapt to certain routines by performing actions hundreds/thousands of times. When you jump into another car you have to readjust. In that period you could quite easily misjudge a corner, braking distance or the ability to accelerate out of a dangerous situation. They don't know you personally and have no way of assessing your driving ability. That's why they use several factors to build their risk profile of you - age, occupation, marital status, length of ownership of vehicle, where you park the car, previous claims/endorsements and so on and so forth.

Insurance isn't that expensive when you consider how much you could be liable for without it. I do appreciate for a lot of young drivers it's a fair chunk of their income (myself included in that one) but let's say you do end up in a fault collision, it could be with a £200 Micra or a 16 plate GTI Clubsport S - that £1600 you paid to cover yourself soon becomes good value for money when it's the latter!

If you want a second a car I'd look for something that's reliable more than anything. No point having cheap tax and good fuel return if it's constantly begging for money to be spent on it. Apparently the 1.6 Focus is meant to be a decent daily.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
id get the cheapest PCP deal i cld find with 4 wheels and free insurance.

if it cost you £200 a mnth thats £2400 a year without fuel. is that cheaper sums than running the R?

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
id get the cheapest PCP deal i cld find with 4 wheels and free insurance.

if it cost you £200 a mnth thats £2400 a year without fuel. is that cheaper sums than running the R?
That's way way more mate.
I'd be looking at £400 car, maybe £400 insurance, £100 tax and would want one with 12 months MOT.... so let's say 1k budget before fuel.

At the moment 4 full tanks of fuel a month at around £70 a tank. £280 a month, £3360 a year. I think it's more than feasible to half that with the addition of a second car so a budget of £1680 for second car for insurance, tax and petrol for the year does seem possible and I'll drastically reduce miles added to the R

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you want a second a car I'd look for something that's reliable more than anything. No point having cheap tax and good fuel return if it's constantly begging for money to be spent on it. Apparently the 1.6 Focus is meant to be a decent daily.
I appreciate all your points there mate and I didn't consider the unforeseen circumstances factor. Do you reckon that, if what you say about learning habits and driving two different vehicles puts me as higher risk, that my job driving patient transfer mini buses also increases my risk profile?
I'd of honestly thought that driving for a living would reduce your risk due to experience and professionalism and the fact that risking driving dangerously then risks your job.

I understand what you say about it seeming like value for money but these companies set up the insurance game with the risk of cost at their end because they knew only a minority would claim and that most people wouldn't therefore premiums taken were high % profit after salaries etc etc etc paid to staff. Now, all the risk is placed onto the customer because any claim (on the service you have paid for) means 5 years of being penalised regardless of fault. Even excesses.... yes please let me pay you for a service and then when I need to use that service please charge me again. I could rant all day about insurance being a scam but I genuinely just want to know what second car people would recommend that is going to cost less than £1600 for purchase, tax, insurance, petrol for the year please.

My R's insurance was £650 so gives an idea of where abouts I'm at.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
That's way way more mate. I'd be looking at £400 car, maybe £400 insurance, £100 tax and would want one with 12 months MOT.... so let's say 1k budget before fuel. At the moment 4 full tanks of fuel a month at around £70 a tank. £280 a month, £3360 a year. I think it's more than feasible to half that with the addition of a second car so a budget of £1680 for second car for insurance, tax and petrol for the year does seem possible and I'll drastically reduce miles added to the R Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
i know what u mean but like most things it wont work out like that. all cars cost a fortune in either depreciation of maintenance.

if its just guna be for a year and then throw away the car then maybe but through in a service, it going wrong, then the mot you'll be closer the £2k mark and thats an under estimation in my humble opinion.

cars are expensive to run. its funny as been having the same conversion with my mate at gym. we found a pretty decent seat arosa (if theres such a thing, lol) and he paid £500 with a full ticket. was good as gold untill the gearbox died on the M62 on his lasses bday with tickets to doncaster wildlife park in her handbag. scrapped the car and didnt get to the park! now bought a £700 yaris and its running well, untill the next time!

·
Registered
495 Posts
Don't get me wrong, these insurance underwriters are far from going bust even with a perceived increase in the number of claims with added extras like extortionate hire car fees and personal injury claims. It's still a profitable business to run otherwise they'd abandon it. As you quite rightly stated, the number of policies which don't incur claims still outweigh the ones which do by a massive margin.

Industry research does suggest that if you drive as part of your profession then yes you're classed as a higher risk.

The current answer to building a more accurate risk profile is with these black box/telematic apps. They can then see how exactly you drive, how often and at what times. Wouldn't surprise me if it becomes compulsory in the years to come, maybe not all the time but perhaps for the first few months on a new policy.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's way way more mate. I'd be looking at £400 car, maybe £400 insurance, £100 tax and would want one with 12 months MOT.... so let's say 1k budget before fuel. At the moment 4 full tanks of fuel a month at around £70 a tank. £280 a month, £3360 a year. I think it's more than feasible to half that with the addition of a second car so a budget of £1680 for second car for insurance, tax and petrol for the year does seem possible and I'll drastically reduce miles added to the R Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i know what u mean but like most things it wont work out like that. all cars cost a fortune in either depreciation of maintenance.

if its just guna be for a year and then throw away the car then maybe but through in a service, it going wrong, then the mot you'll be closer the £2k mark and thats an under estimation in my humble opinion.

cars are expensive to run. its funny as been having the same conversion with my mate at gym. we found a pretty decent seat arosa (if theres such a thing, lol) and he paid £500 with a full ticket. was good as gold untill the gearbox died on the M62 on his lasses bday with tickets to doncaster wildlife park in her handbag. scrapped the car and didnt get to the park! now bought a £700 yaris and its running well, untill the next time!
Yeah I know there's a risk involved with buying a banger but a simple car that will get me A-B that I can do general maintenance myself, I won't have to pay for a service (wouldn't bother anyway on a banger).

So far IMG suggested a focus 1.6
Anymore suggestions?

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
So far IMG suggested a focus 1.6 Anymore suggestions? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
i had a tdci focus for 7 years before the R, ran like a dream and cost me pennies to run.........makes me wonder why i sold it!

any car that does 40mpg will be ok. rekon its more about condition etc than an actual model. id keep your ear to the ground and try and find something low miles, granny owner that cant drive anymore etc and grab it before it hits the classifieds

·
Administrator
13,971 Posts
I do it and wish I did it when I 1st bought my R,

The amount of money I spent on fuel in 5 years and 20,000 miles per year haunts me .

Just do it , best decision I have made

Have a Twingo GT Turbo and it's fast enough to pull away from most cars and easily does regular trips to Essex and back and super cheap to run

Only issue with a 2nd car is you have to start your insurance again on it

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I do it and wish I did it when I 1st bought my R,

The amount of money I spent on fuel in 5 years and 20,000 miles per year haunts me .

Just do it , best decision I have made

Have a Twingo GT Turbo and it's fast enough to pull away from most cars and easily does regular trips to Essex and back and super cheap to run

Only issue with a 2nd car is you have to start your insurance again on it

What do you mean about starting insurance again? Someone said it was a seperate policy anyway?

·
Administrator
13,971 Posts
It is a separate policy but you have 0 no claims bonus , I have 21 years on the golf and with the 2nd car you can not use it, but if you crash the 2nd car you loose it on both

(Basically you can only use the no claims on 1 policy, but you earn a bonus on the 2nd car separately

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It is a separate policy but you have 0 no claims bonus , I have 21 years on the golf and with the 2nd car you can not use it, but if you crash the 2nd car you loose it on both

(Basically you can only use the no claims on 1 policy, but you earn a bonus on the 2nd car separately

That's bullshit! Still got a clean driving record for that length of time. God they're such a con aren't they!!

·
Registered
639 Posts
I have two vechiles on my policy both fully comp and my insurance company allow me my 10 years NCB on both my R and other vechile.
As they consider my R low risk as only insured for 3K a year and I don't use it in connection with commuting to work.
I pay £620 for both cars, protected no claims and legal protection all that jazz.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I have two vechiles on my policy both fully comp and my insurance company allow me my 10 years NCB on both my R and other vechile.
As they consider my R low risk as only insured for 3K a year and I don't use it in connection with commuting to work.
I pay £620 for both cars, protected no claims and legal protection all that jazz.
What Company?

·
Registered
639 Posts
What Company?

Admiral I only renewed as of last week, they sent me my renewal and wanted £808.
So I rang them up, as I wasn't happy and said I've had cheaper quotes elsewhere.
So lady that dealt with me, got me down to about £740 and then asked about what I use each vechile for.
Due to me doing low miles in my R and not in connection with commuting to work, reduced it to £620 with putting my 10 years on both vechiles (Low Risk ).
I did get quotes else where, worked out to about £590 for both, with 10 years NCB on my daily and 1 year NCB on my R.
However that was with no legal protection.
Hope this helps a little.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts