VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about selling up and moving on.
Would people say its best/easier to sell if its put back to standard?

·
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't even know how much it's worth in all honesty. Nah just over year!
It's been good to me, but I'm I think I'm done!

·
Nappy Wearing Member
881 Posts
standard and sell the parts is probably the best unless you've not got the originals.

·
468 Posts
+1 for standard sold my mk4 with loads of bits on I should have taken off (due to a quick sale) lost quite a lot of money, you live and learn.

Why are you selling? Bored already?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Defo standard. There's still a major stigma attached to modified cars. It doesn't matter how discreet or minor the mods are, or how the car's been treated, prospective buyers will [wrongly] assume the car has been ragged to death and owned by a chav.

But of course we all know differently. Enthusiasts are less likely to skip services, less likely to bump the car up kerbs, less likely to park it in the middle of the supermarket carpark, more likely to wax it every year, more likely to spend the requisite money on it's upkeep and more likely to warm it up before revving it hard.

The one type of previous owner I would NEVER buy a car from is a woman.
Couldn't of put it better!

·
.:R32OC Site Contributor
3,281 Posts
Totally disagree. I sold my MKV in March with all the mods for far more than I would have got with them removed and the car back to standard.

I didn't even need to advertise it.

Put it this way, without divulging what the buyer paid, I've not seen a MKV sell for the same price since.

·
2,204 Posts
Totally disagree. I sold my MKV in March with all the mods for far more than I would have got with them removed and the car back to standard.

I didn't even need to advertise it.

Put it this way, without divulging what the buyer paid, I've not seen a MKV sell for the same price since.
You were just lucky you found a buyer who knew what he/she wanted. The people who actively seek out modified cars are far thinner on the ground than people who want standard cars.

·
Administrator
13,971 Posts
CorradoR32 said:
I'm speaking from experience and it's just my opinion

Obviously not all women are the same but every single car I've owned that was previously owned by the fairer sex had the tell tale hallmarks. All 4 wheels kerbed (badly) and pulling to the left, dangly key chain / metal bracelet scratches on and around the door handles, marks on the roof where they've dumped their bags whilst opening the door, side bolster abrasion marks from where the seat was rolled forward as far as it'll go into the centre console, babies kicking the back of the chair and ruining it, dirty headlining from babies throwing stuff around in the back, foundation all over the sun visor, black and watery engine oil, thick black dust on air filters, filthy brake fluid, brake pads almost worn down to the metal. car park dings etc etc.

Plus all of my exes have shown no mechanical sympathy, cannot judge distances (passenger mirror clouted into parked cars regularly) or speeds (pulling out in front of oncoming cars) and the clutch pedal is either up or down, nothing inbetween. To them (by their own admission) cars were merely white goods to get them from A to B and totally resented spending any money on them. They put the cheapest crappest supermarket fuel in them, drive 30 seconds to the paper shop, let it idle for 20 mins to warm up in the winter etc etc.

I'm sorry, but I just haven't witnessed any of that from male drivers / owners but I'm sure they exist. Stereotypes are born for a reason. My Mum and current GF are both very good drivers though, just to bring balance to the argument

A fit girl who truly understands cars is a rare treat indeed! Vicki Butler Henderson was one some years ago and they made a celebrity out of her!
Fit? Are you blind lol

Sent from my iPhone 9 in a Time Machine

·
.:R32OC Site Contributor
3,281 Posts
You were just lucky you found a buyer who knew what he/she wanted. The people who actively seek out modified cars are far thinner on the ground than people who want standard cars.
If you advertise the car in the right way, there's nothing to say it won't attract the right person.

The car before my R32 was a supercharged VR6, admittedly I had a small fortune in it but none the less 6.5k for an 11 year old Mk3 Golf wasn't too bad going.

I think there's a line you need to draw when modding a car or a point of no return, once that's crossed the only thing you can do is damage limitation and you have to accept you'll never see the money again.

On the other hand, a car modded in the right way with all the desirable parts and looked after well, will make it far more attractive to an enthusiast and you're bound to get an enthusiast pay more for the right car for them.

Just don't buy any car off a woman!! ;-p

·
Registered
512 Posts
Thinking about selling up and moving on.
Would people say its best/easier to sell if its put back to standard?
Sell as is. Your mods are 'sensible / desirable' - nice car that will sell easily.
Shame you are thinking of selling up.

·
Long Member
1,093 Posts
I'm speaking from experience and it's just my opinion

Obviously not all women are the same but every single car I've owned that was previously owned by the fairer sex had the tell tale hallmarks. All 4 wheels kerbed (badly) and pulling to the left, dangly key chain / metal bracelet scratches on and around the door handles, marks on the roof where they've dumped their bags whilst opening the door, side bolster abrasion marks from where the seat was rolled forward as far as it'll go into the centre console, babies kicking the back of the chair and ruining it, dirty headlining from babies throwing stuff around in the back, foundation all over the sun visor, black and watery engine oil, thick black dust on air filters, filthy brake fluid, brake pads almost worn down to the metal. car park dings etc etc.

Plus all of my exes have shown no mechanical sympathy, cannot judge distances (passenger mirror clouted into parked cars regularly) or speeds (pulling out in front of oncoming cars) and the clutch pedal is either up or down, nothing inbetween. To them (by their own admission) cars were merely white goods to get them from A to B and totally resented spending any money on them. They put the cheapest crappest supermarket fuel in them, drive 30 seconds to the paper shop, let it idle for 20 mins to warm up in the winter etc etc.

I'm sorry, but I just haven't witnessed any of that from male drivers / owners but I'm sure they exist. Stereotypes are born for a reason. My Mum and current GF are both very good drivers though, just to bring balance to the argument

A fit girl who truly understands cars is a rare treat indeed! Vicki Butler Henderson was one some years ago and they made a celebrity out of her!
Wow, that is bordering on Anchorman levels of sexism. I know plenty of women who treat their cars with great care and respect. Just as there are hordes of male drivers who don't.

·
Registered
977 Posts
In re of the op though surely there's 2 markets...

If you sell on here then likely any mods will be welcomed

If you go public then strip back for sure and sell parts on here

1 - 20 of 34 Posts