VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there everyone I've just recently made an R32OC account and really need help trying to figure out what is wrong with my DSG gearbox for all I know it could be the Mechatronics or maybe even a worn clutch I honestly don't know, I drive a 2008 Mk5 Golf R32 which just hit 112,000kms as of today and before you ask when was the last time I had the DSG serviced which I have been asked a million times when ever I tell someone the problem, let me give you a story time. I bought the car last year at the start of November it was just a few kilometers over 103,000km and it drove absolutely mint not a single problem, the car was smooth and shifted perfectly I couldn't have been happier as this was my first car which I had been saving up for a long time only working on weekends as I was still in school.

On the 16th of December last year I went for a DSG service, the car was now at 106-107,000kms and still driving great. I took it to a very well known and trusted mechanic which I won't mention because I'd rather not slander their name on the internet. Anyways got the car back fluids, filter, seals and all just your standard DSG service, the car felt almost smoother than before and I was a happy customer. A couple days later I noticed oil spots on the driveway and didn't think much of it, almost 2 weeks later the car started acting a bit weird, after taking my foot of the accelerator it felt like the gearbox had recoil and something was moving around, there were no clicks or clanks just this weird wobble coming from the gearbox. The oil spots started to get bigger and I was getting concerned so I took a look underneath, after taking a look underneath I found the plastic cover underneath the engine/gearbox was soaked in oil and the drain/fill/sump plug was dripping gearbox fluid. Turns out the mechanic I took it to didn't change the washer/flange on the plug and/or didn't do it up tight enough causing it to have a slow leak, a job done well but ruined by a silly mistake.

After I tightening the plug up the dripping stopped, but this was unacceptable and I took it straight back to the same mechanic and told them what they had done wrong, nicely enough they apologized and offered to redo the service free of charge and even gave me a discount on my next engine service which I was more than grateful for, the mechanic told me the car was missing around almost a liter of fluid which is a lot considering the DSG holds 5-7 liters if I can remember right correct me if I'm wrong, car felt back to normal until a week later it had this odd clicking sound when slowing down to the lights through 2nd-1st gear, this happened roughly 5 times out of 10.

Currently this has slowly developed and got worse, those clicks turned into clanks and is now from 3rd-2nd-1st when slowing down and almost happens all the time. It's strange because the car is fine on take off from a stop throughout the gears when accelerating but when the gearbox reaches 6th gear it makes a loud clunk or thump that can be felt, this happens around 7 times out of 10 but I noticed it doesn't really happen when going down hill, it also takes longer to reach the 6th gear, it used to shift into 6th at 50kms or just a bit over but now it shifts into 6th at late 50kms or close to 60kms sometimes over.

After going over speed bumps and putting my foot back on the accelerator, rarely it will over rev like it's struggling to get into gear or get stuck in a gear and wont shift up and I'll have to take my foot off the accelerator and let the revs go down before I can accelerate again and the gearbox can engage. Another problem I encounter every now and then is when I accelerate from a left or right turn, once again I'll turn the corner and the gearbox won't engage. I'll have to slow down and then put my foot back on the accelerator before I can continue again. The last problem I'm encountering is quite bad backlash, whenever I'm stuck in traffic on the way home i'll be cruising in 2nd gear at around 20kms but once I take my foot off the accelerator the car will start to feel like its breaking by itself and its so bad it throws your head forward and makes this whirring sound, and then when I put my foot back on the accelerator to move again it makes multiple clicking sounds like the tension of the gears is being released due to the backlash. This only happens at low speeds and only second gear in stop start traffic.

I have a feeling this could be a faulty Mechatronic unit due to driving around without the correct amount of gearbox fluid which has now messed up the timing of the shifts and I fear may have caused damage to the gearbox as a result. But honestly I don't know, I'm alone in this all I have is the internet, and can research the problems I encounter. So I hope at least one of you may have the answer to my question or some ideas to what it could be anything would be greatly appreciated because I'd like to get this fixed as soon as possible before it gets worse, so whatever you've got throw it at me, I'll take all the help I can get this is my last resort :)

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you had the box recalculated
No I haven’t but I have brought it up to that mechanic and even when I took it to Volkswagen when I first started to notice these problems and both said the recalibration was only for cars driving really poorly, I assume the recalibration if when they adjust the gears to there factory specs? Also I haven’t ever had any lights pop on the dash ever

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah that is true most of the vw mechanics tell you its normal or these things happen with age, when the mechanic stuffed my gearbox service up I took it to Volkswagen to get it done properly and the guy said “take it back to the other mechanic we’ll do the same thing for triple the price” I am planing on taking it to this place called Euro Surgeon Performance in New Zealand there meant to be really good

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also me personally would tell your mechanic its still not right since it leaked the oil as it was ok before they did the dsg box
Also me personally would tell your mechanic its still not right since it leaked the oil as it was ok before they did the dsg box
yeah I agree I should tell him the origin of the problem, cheers mate :)

· Registered
64 Posts
Recalibration is easily done at home with a vcds clone. If you love your R32 it is a must item to have considering it hardly costs anything. It will also show you error codes if any showed up thanks to the stupid mechanic. Don't ever go back there once you sorted this problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.