VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My R is booked in for a service on Monday and has nearly done 81,000.

I've read a lot about Haldex changes and that it should be done every 40,000 miles...how do I know if it's ever been done and should I ask for it to be done this time?

I've had the car just over 2 years and have had it regularly serviced bit I've never noticed a haldex change.

Thanks in advance for your views

·
19,389 Posts
Some of the later service books have a box to tick to say the Haldex service (4motion) has been done but sadly you can't rely on that. If you don't know when it was last done, I would get it done.

The plugs are also changed every 40k miles so they should also be done.

The only other thing is if the car was DSG, then it's oil and filter get changed, but I assume your car is a manual.

Brake fluid should also be changed every 24 months, so that may also be due a change.

·
Senior Onion collector
4,512 Posts
Definately get Haldex filter & oil changed if its not been done for 2 years, its not that much and can prevent issues in the future.......I'd also get the rear diff oil changed and gearbox oil changed at your mileage.

Did both of mine at around 29,000/ 5 years and both were really dirty;)

·
19,389 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ouch! Is all I can say.....cost me £433!!

Had it serviced and followed everyone's advice and had the following changed:
Haldex oil & filter
brake fluid
gearbox oil & filter
transmission oil changed.

Apparently it's changed and it's recommended that the Haldex is changed every 20,000 not 40,000 miles.

Expensive day but worth it.

·
19,389 Posts
I think that's quite a good price. With that price, I assume they didn't change the plugs?

The 20k services are for Gen 1 Haldex as used on the MK4. The MK5 uses a Gen 2, which is 40k

Reactions: inactive

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Bob, it's good to get reassurance on the price.

There's no mention of changing the plugs. Not sure what was done as part of the £199 for the service but the parts list on the invoice doesn't mention plugs.

The garage was sure it was 20,000 miles, probably just a rouse to get me to spend more money!

·
19,389 Posts
As I said on an earlier post, the plugs are changed every 40k miles too so assuming they were changed at around 40k, they were due to be changed. Unfortunately, some garages get confused and think it's every 60k miles, like it is on the GTI.

Possibly, they were changed late the first time and not due yet.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts