VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep hitting the rev limiter when overtaking because I'm looking at the road and not the rev counter and it's starting to get a bit annoying.

Have any of you fitted a pillar-mounted shift light to your R32? Where is the tacho signal taken from? I understand that on 2002 onwards Golfs, the tacho on the instrument cluster is driven off a digital data stream (CAN-BUS) from the ECU?

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
i can personally change gear right at the limit just by listening to the car now, and at many different revs.

Not sure about the shift light, surely you wouldnt have to have a cable plugged into the canbus all the time just for a shift light ?

·
Premium Member
4,542 Posts
I used to hit it all the time, especially in first cos its such a short gear.

I'm same as Wayne tho now, i'm used to the engine tone an know when to change.

It will come over time that skill, trust me.

·
1,432 Posts
I know when to change just before the rev limiter, shame the R doesnt have a bouncing rev limiter like most cars seem to. Instead it seems to hit the rev limiter and go flat if you know what I mean. As opposed to going ba ba ba ba it goes berrrrrrr :)

·
616 Posts
Once youve hit it once or twice you should get the sence of where it is. I think if you go to all the trouble of fitting a light it'll start annoying you. Are you playing your music up loud?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wayne said:
i can personally change gear right at the limit just by listening to the car now, and at many different revs.
Agreed, but you haven't heard the stereo system I've got in my R. When it's cranked up it completely drowns out the engine!

·
4,328 Posts
antera309 said:
Agreed, but you haven't heard the stereo system I've got in my R. When it's cranked up it completely drowns out the engine!
Even so, i have a great system as well, but have learnt just from the feel when you are getting near the rev limit.

Must been my 6th sense :driver:

·
Premium Member
4,542 Posts
Isnt playin music in the R32 illegal !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think its the law you have to put the window down half way and just soak in the raw V6 sound, or at least thats what i do lol :p

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
mine seems to hit limmiter in first but the rev counter is only saying 6.2k rpm but in second power drops at 6.8k? any ideas. is it slight delay in signal from ecu so it physically hitting limiter befor rev conter says its at 6.8k

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
pomme said:
Even so, i have a great system as well, but have learnt just from the feel when you are getting near the rev limit.
This is what I've been trying to do. In my old VR6 it was easy - the engine sent vibrations right through the chassis that could be felt easily, but the '32 is a much more refined beast!

macdaddy said:
Isnt playin music in the R32 illegal !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think its the law you have to put the window down half way and just soak in the raw V6 sound, or at least thats what i do lol :p
I must admit, in the first two weeks after buying it, I drove everywhere with the windows down just so I could listen to the lovely noises coming from the exhaust! Sometimes I still do it. When going through tunnels, usually! :proud: :proud:

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
have you got a remap on it? but on mine first power cuts before it does in second thats why i was wondering about a slight delay in signal from engne to rev counter. be interesting to look into this further when get the car back from dealers!

·
3,732 Posts
gazjones said:
have you got a remap on it? but on mine first power cuts before it does in second thats why i was wondering about a slight delay in signal from engne to rev counter. be interesting to look into this further when get the car back from dealers!
i know my car well, but after reading your posts i warmed the car up then aimed at the limiter in 1st, only reached 6.3/5

i dont normally do this as i know the car well, and for the sake of petrol often change alot sooner but interesting to find this tho

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Does a stage 1 remap raise the rev limiter? When I had my VR6 cabby done at Stealth, Vince raised the rev limiter by 200RPM and this helped a lot - it gave a bit more leeway just in case you were late with an upshift..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts