VW Golf R32 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Volkswagen Golf R32 | Black Magic Pearl | Sunroof | DSG
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Why 5W-30? The specification for the engine was originally 5W-40, at least it was in my Mk4 and the engines are essentially the same?

As another poster has found as engines get older and you get some wear in the bearings and pump you may have a problem with low hot idle oil pressure with 5W-30.

I know dealers use 5W-30 but that just to keep their life simple as more modern VW's normally use 5W-30 or 0W-30

cheers
Rohan
The oil used meets the required VW spec so that's why I used it. Have used 5W-40 in my other car though.

·
Registered
2004, Mk4 , R32
30 Posts
Viscosity is as important as VW spec compliance. VW dont talk about the viscosity spec in there engine oil spec codes in all the common data you read to try to force you to buy the VW oil , i wonder why they do that ?

Here in Australia I use a VW 502 / 505 compliant 10W- 40 full synthetic made from Group 4 and Group 5 base oils (PENRITE Ten Tenths Racing).

502 / 505 was the relevant spec at the time the cars were built The later VW specs are not better oils but were made to aid compliance life of cats and DPF's in meeting ever increasing tightness of emission limits at some cost to engine mechanical life

cheers
Rohan

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Viscosity is as important as VW spec compliance. VW dont talk about the viscosity spec in there engine oil spec codes in all the common data you read to try to force you to buy the VW oil , i wonder why they do that ?

Here in Australia I use a VW 502 / 505 compliant 10W- 40 full synthetic made from Group 4 and Group 5 base oils (PENRITE Ten Tenths Racing).

502 / 505 was the relevant spec at the time the cars were built The later VW specs are not better oils but were made to aid compliance life of cats and DPF's in meeting ever increasing tightness of emission limits at some cost to engine mechanical life

cheers
Rohan
Im content with using 5W-30 and I may shift to 5W-40 on one of my next services as the mileage increases, as I have already planned to do.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
It should be fine as long as hot idle pressure is not to low and pressure remains OK at high revs and load if you thrash it :)
There's plenty of people using 5W-30 mate lol it's fine.

·
Registered
2004, Mk4 , R32
30 Posts
Yes and a few have a hot idle pressure problem and strictly speaking its not the original oil viscosity specification that a lot VW engineers spent a lot of time deciding on when they built the engine but yes it works for most people just not my personal choice
cheers
Rohan

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Yes and a few have a hot idle pressure problem and strictly speaking its not the original oil viscosity specification that a lot VW engineers spent a lot of time deciding on when they built the engine but yes it works for most people just not my personal choice
cheers
Rohan
I appreciate your insight, and I understand what you're saying but I'm not concerned so let's move on from the oil spec choice :) every person I've spoke to uses 5W-30 wjth zero of the issues you have spoken about so I am not interested in changing oil spec. My manual gives me VW oil spec requirements to meet and no information about viscosity so I chose what is widely used. Case closed

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Hey Sam, moving on from oil viscosity :p. Could you tell what model of head unit you have in stalled?
There are so many on the Xrons site!
Hey mate! Yeah no problem, I get what you mean!! It is this model here:

It was installed by the previous owner, but this is it here. It is AWESOME. Wireless Carplay is all I use on it to be honest, but it has so many features if you are interested in all of them!

·
South East Organiser
6,832 Posts
Looks like you have put some time into her dude, looking good. Interior is nice man

Reactions: shpoo

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks Sam. It looks like the original just a lot more up to date and modern.
Hey mate! Yeah no problem, I get what you mean!! It is this model here:

It was installed by the previous owner, but this is it here. It is AWESOME. Wireless Carplay is all I use on it to be honest, but it has so many features if you are interested in all of them!
Hey Sam, does your head unit support a reverse camera?
If so which one? I wanted to install an OEM flip reverse camera but wasn't sure if this is possible.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Hey Sam, does your head unit support a reverse camera?
If so which one? I wanted to install an OEM flip reverse camera but wasn't sure if this is possible.
Hey mate,

yes it supports reverse camera. It has the standard RCA cable for a reverse camera. This tells me it should be compativle with any camera that Has the same connections! But I have not tried any cameras sorry.

i have also considered a flip camera, but opted out for the time being! Maybe later on I will look into it again!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I haven't removed the unit so i don't know what plugs are there, but I would say no to the genuine unit as that is not a universal connection type for a camera. An aftermarket flip camera will work though most likely. Like this one:

don't quote me on that, but it has the correct connectors for the back of the head unit I have!

21 - 40 of 46 Posts