VW Golf R32 Forum banner

sick R32, clunky gear change and stalling

2K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  alexmac 
G
#1 ·
hi all, my R32 is sickly sitting in traffic today i noticed the idle dropping way below 600 and dropping as low as 0 and then the battery light flicking on then rising again to 600. You could here the engine stumbling and when in first you could see the number 1 flashing once or twice, it went on for a good 5mins sitting in traffic, once on a decent A road the next bit of traffic the car was fine. Also when at a stand still and pulling away the car was very jerky and i kept thinking that the car was going to stall. In the end it stalled once and started up straight away, sat at 600 idle without issue, move down the road a little then the same issue again with it dropping below 600. A similar thing happend last week, there doesnt seem to be any pattern for it, weather or different petrol and i havent changed anything ont he car. it had a MOT in november without any issues.

any ideas if its something i can check at home, there are no dash lights on although the car felt more responsive after this intitial issue on the A road although could be my brain but i always felt the car to be a bit sluggish unless you really put your foot down although after the incident it seemed i only had to tap the pedal and the car felt it pulled more (hope that makes sense)

thanks
Rob

See less See more
#3 ·
Best thing to do is get vagcom on her.
Have you had the coils recalled?
Also start the engine open the bonnet and listen out for any unusual sounds such as vac leaks.
Mine was know were near as bad as what yours sounds to be, but mine has been idling very high lately and it turned out to be a vac leak on the brake servo pipe.
Could try cleaning the MAF and TB and check for any bare, dodgy disconnected wires.

Not sure if the fuel injectors would play a part in this if they are on the way out. Or a blocked fuel filter.

As already said I'm sure vagcom would bring some code up with all this going on.

Good luck
Alex.

G
#4 · (Edited)
thanks both, i recently had the lamda sensor changed but this has only just started happening and way after these were fitted. I originally thought that the weather might be playing a part but its not that the car is garaged every night.
I did see a write up on the cleaning the throttle body etc and thought i would check mine out. As you both said i would have thought that at least a light would flash up when it kind of stalls but not a thing.

Will have to find someone with vag.com. I was going to invest in one of the generic readers, my neighbour had one and found the lamda sensor from it.

engine wise i only have the forge induction kit so i can here a bit of sucking fro the engine back when pushing the pedal down but no more than usual.

#11 ·
That's the way they should be. They don't change the covers when they change the coilpacks.

Some people change the covers and the conduit to blue using the parts off an R36

If you want to do so there are a couple of threads with the part numbers.

#13 · (Edited by Moderator)
Apologies, I misunderstood your post.

Honestly it's the first I've heard of there being a different colour between the old and new coilpacks. In fact I didn't even think there were any wires on them just a moulded plug for the loom to plug into. It's been a few years tbough since I've been under the bonnet of an R32.

#15 · (Edited by Moderator)
I saw your post regarding the fan noise, but haven't heard anything like it before.

When they do the coilpack recall they put a sticker in the boot with "28F5" and the date written on it. It's next to the spare wheel well along with the build sticker. On mine they also put a note in the service book to confirm it had been done.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.