VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

· Registered
705 Posts
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATED 29/04/14
Updated the price, now £50 cheaper!! Due to finding a better/easier way of removing the outer lens. Also, the LED's have been changed for brighter, wider units which look more like the OE outer light.

Still working on getting SMD LED's fitted correctly. Will update as i progress.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey, i'm offering my services to convert your current Valeo rear inner lights to accept LED's and give the skyline look.

I have already worked on Fernr32's lights, you can see his thread here

What happens is you either send or drop your rear lights in to me (just inners required), leave them with me and i send them back to you or you come and pick them up when ready. The process should take no longer than 2 working days (24 hours for the sealant to cure).

You also have the option to remove the red plastic fog lamp lens, as Fern did. This requires that a red bulb be used in it's place, preferably LED. The clear lens will be hot glued in place.

The price is £160 plus £8.80 £110, plus £8.80 insured return postage (if required)

Thanks to FernR32 for the photo's. More pictures to be added soon.

* I am currently testing out various other LED types including PLCC2/4 SMD LED's.

** Also, please note, i cannot be held responsible for any breakages to the rear lamps. Removing the lens cover is possibly the most difficult part of the conversion, and is the reason why most people do not attempt it. I have experience in removing lenses from both headlamps and rear lamps, and normally do not have any problem however.

· Flaccid Member
1,788 Posts
Really good to see someone in the UK now offering this service, sending to Romania or OZ which was only place to get done before was a pain, good luck with doing more hopefully.

· Registered
13 Posts
Is there a way to use a continuous angel eye ring as opposed to individual LEDs for the inner lights?
angel eye ring will be behind lense and it will be very dim , will be less visible than 5 mm leds, which are in individual hole.
You can use angel eye ring in standard golf mk5 tails, ring will be on top of the lense . And yit will be not visible behind red glass.

The proper way of doing it , its the way outer tails made : using Osram bi-color led chips soldered on the smd ring.

· Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is there a way to use a continuous angel eye ring as opposed to individual LEDs for the inner lights?
As Jaraz said above really, i don't think there is a anything bright enough on the market currently. However i would be willing to attempt a custom job if you found anything. I think having a halo effect could look pretty cool. In fact, come to think of it, i'm pretty sure i have seen a set of aftermarket lights with a halo sidelight...

269 Posts
I don't know anything about LEDs so not too clued up about this and that but I did manage to find this chaps solution on mk5gti forum:

http://www.mk5golfgt...ic,77309.0.html

The main parts I used were from good old eBay. Links working on Dec 2013 but if broken copy and paste the description and something similar will come up.

1) Red LED angel eye ring 90mm - http://bit.ly/HByRhi

2) LED dimmer - http://bit.ly/19wphEH

3) General wire - Halfords I think

4) Connectors for loom - TPS, I THINK the part numbers are 1J0973702 & 1J0973802

5) Repair wire for connectors - TPS, you'll need to ask them as I don't have a record of the part number
I think parts work out to be about £80-90 or so, to summarise the thread. What do you guys think?

· Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As i say, i am willing to give it a go, worst case scenario would mean going with the normal LED approach since it is already open. Not sure if it would be bright enough to operate the brake light too, but i would imagine it should be ok for sidlights.

It would look different to the norm certainly!

· Flaccid Member
1,788 Posts
good find on the videos, enjoyed watching, cheers

· Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Pm Sent

· Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just an update to this thread, i can now do standard inner lights too. Works with sidelights and brake lights (if required).

PM me for more info

Reactions: Montana32

· Cutting Edge Member
1,160 Posts
Great work

· Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Updated thread with better pictures and a better price!

· Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
After a long hiatus, i'm taking new requests for rear light mods if anyone is still interested. I have a possible 2 orders in the pipeline already.

661 Posts
Are you using smd's yet?

· Cutting Edge Member
1,160 Posts

· Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Where in the country would I have to drop the lights to get this done ?
As Fern kindly said, i'm based in the West Midlands, about 8 minutes from J9, M6. I can do secure courier though if required.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.