VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Iv been noticing a few few small spots of an oily substance left under my car lately.
Its not a massive leak but getting a few spots per day I would guess.

I left some white paper under the car for the past 6 days and now I have returned I have discovered that the substance is actually pink.

I made sure I squared the paper up with the wheels so I could find the position of the leak and its coming from approximately 8-10 inches from the inside of the drives side wheel towards the center of the engine bay.
I understand that this inst fool proof as it could be running along parts of the undercarriage but thought Id try it.

So its light pink in colour and coming from the drivers side of the engine bay, could this mean the power steering? Im not sure if that is pink or green?
If so, is this a common place to see a leak and does anyone have any idea of the component to aim for... Wrack? etc etc?

I haven't checked the reservoir yet as it was dark.

Any info would be great

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
If its pink i would of said coolant.

If its green then its power steering fluid.

I'd be checking both reservoir and the PS pump myself as the hoses onto the pump have a tendency to leak.

If bot follow the rad hose work to the rad and to the block, see if there's a leak from there, normally a trail of the liquid you can follow back to the source.

·
19,404 Posts
It could be coolant, possibly leaking from the bottom corner of the radiator.

The underway can route any leaks away from the source.

Reactions: MATTYR32

·
Eats Kitty Litter
7,321 Posts

·
19,404 Posts
Reactions: MATTYR32

·
Administrator
13,972 Posts
It's coolant from your water pump , the oily texture is the perished rubber gasket from the pump

I am guessing the car has just over 100k on it , which is about the time the pump starts to leak

The latest version has metal impellers

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.