VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I finally bought a MK4 R32 last Wednesday after doing a bit of reading, including lurking on here. It's simply the best car I've driven and I haven't stopped smiling since so thanks for the enthusiasm that helped make my mind up.

A few comments/questions:

52 reg 2003, deep blue pearlescent
All standard spec (as far as I can tell), but with full black leather Konigs and electric sunroof. Very good clean condiiton. 64k miles. Private sale.

I looked at one other but it just didn't feel "right", possibly the clutch was on its last legs. This one feels so much more looked after.

The first few miles were quite jumpy, getting used to the sensitive throttle and sporty clutch. Because of the engine and exhaust tone i found myself changing gear too early and running at low revs for a while. When I started to open her up.... wow, the world started to be sucked past the windows very quickly while the "R" sat poised and glued to the road.

Have now done 200 miles and have got used to driving it but I don't think I'll ever forget this first week with it. I'll be 45 this year and I'm more a fan of the engineering rather than driving very fast everywhere. I had a Mk1 GTI and although I driven some nice cars since, the R32 has bought back many good motoring memories. I can't believe I've waited 15 years to get another Golf.

I can't honestly see myself modifying it as the sound and speed are perfect for me but I wonder how many of you said that several hundreds of pounds ago?

I will take some photos and get them up here tomorrow. A couple of questions:

Wipers. They seem to be for a LH drive car as the drivers one pivots in the middle rather than the edge? Normal?

Xenon headlights. The drivers side one does not always come on immediately. Sometimes have to switch light off and on until it works. Any suggestions?

Wheel centre VW badges are a bit weathered. Where can I buy accessories like these?

Looking forward to reading replies.

·
132 Posts

·
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi and thanks for the quick reply. I'll check out the vwspeed site and probably find other goodies. That Indigo colour looks good, and a bit rarer.

·
1,184 Posts
Welcome mate, Vw centre caps off ebay around 20 quid, for lights put in xenon into search field or look at exterior section of forum and you will find plenty of info. in terms of wipers, i'll take a look at mine on the way to work as I havent noticed, do they 'open' clockwise or anti clockwise? they should arc clockwise to finish vertically against the drivers side pillar if i remember rightly. In terms of mods, I was delighted with mine til I heard a mark 4 with a milltek exhaust fitted! Good luck and have fun!

·
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi S19,

Many thanks. Yes my wiper do act as you suggest they should - it just seemed that the passenger side gets a bigger, clearer sweep...?

The Milltek. Am I right in thinking it's quieter at low revs and louder at high? And it adds bhp? See I'm thinkin modding already....

·
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
"DBP the fastest colour"

I like your thinking. Cheers mate.

·
.:R32OC Resident Pervert
7,935 Posts
Hi and welcome,

I also replaced the VW center wheel caps (Brought from VWspeed, But I paid £25.00)

Sure you will get lots of advice on here.

·
.:R32OC Site Contributor
5,616 Posts
Welcome to the forum mate.

I managed to get a set of OEM centre caps off eBay for £15, but be careful as most of them are not OEM.

I remember my first few miles, jumpy was an understatement! It took me a few miles to get used to the throttle and clutch.

Regarding a Milltek, yes it will add bhp. There are 2 options, resonated and non resontated. Resonated is almost quieter than stock, and you will only here it when you accelerate hard. Non-resontated is loud... here's a little clip of mine :D

If you fancy a bit of a drive, come to brands hatch on 26th March... Have a look in the meets section for more info... there's gonna be about 16 of us! :D

Matt

·
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ordered the centre caps from VWspeed last night. Received reply today saying they are out of stock indefinitely and a refund. Sounds like a trip to ebay.

The username is actually tel-boy backwards, or Terry. Nothing to do with yobbish tendencies.

Mattchaps, I'm near Portsmouth so Brands Hatch is definitely a possible. I used to live near Brands, at Meopham, as well as several other places in Kent.

That headlight took a couple of attempts to light again today. It's sounding like the controller but more reading and investigations are to be done.

Had to drive the Wife's Mini cooper this morning, felt soooooo slow....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts