VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok...so I know it's not an R...or even VW..but it is VAG so that surely still allows me to be on here??!! As some of you may remember, I sold my Mk5 VW Golf R32, DBP to a fellow forum member - rj_skillz a few weeks ago and so the hunt began for a new motor! Initially, I was keen to go for a Mk6 R...and had even thought of a Mk6 Edition 35 GTI....but really and truly needed something a little more economical as I am doing a lot more miles these days! However, I wanted something similar to the R32 in terms of power and presence.....The A5 3.0 Quattro Coupe S-Line seemed to for the bill nicely - similar power, V6 engine, 4WD, looks the part and yet is about twice as economical!!

It's been over a week ago now since I picked it up, but just have been so busy I haven't had the chance to sit down and write it up the pick up story....until now! So here goes - sorry, it's a bit of an essay.....

Since selling the R32, I was keeping a close eye on A5's. I had thought about a Sportback for the practicality of 5 doors, but heart overruled head on this one and went with a coupe!! I had my eye on a few but eventually found this one in LKC Motors in Worksop....

So I got on the phone, secured the car with a deposit and sorted the finance out with Capital Car Finance - an EXCELLENT company if anyone is looking for finance! Cannot fault them at all and they gave me an excellent deal with great APR rates that couldn't be beaten anywhere else!

Anyway, back to the car....so with the finance all sorted, I made arrangements to pick up the car...as some of you may know, I'm from Northern Ireland so I had to book flights over and the ferry back! It really is very straightforward so if anyone from Northern Ireland is reading this and is thinking of buying a car on the mainland (or vice versa!) but think it's too much hassle, it really isn't!! Very very smooth! My wife came with me (we left the kids at home!!) and we got the plane to East Midlands, the dealership at LKC Motors very kindly agreed to pick us up and drive us the hours journey to their showroom, check over the car and deal with paperwork and hey pesto, we are driving out of their place in a new motor! Must say, LKC Motors were a pleasure to deal with! Very family friendly company and excellent service who know what they are talking about when it comes to quality cars! Would highly recommend them to anyone!

Anyway, we had decided that instead of rushing back to catch the ferry at Holyhead that evening that we would stay in Manchester Trafford Centre Travelodge for the night, so that was our first destination..not before a quick bite of lunch in Sainsbury's though....my first chance to crack out the wife's DSLR and get a few snaps of my new pride and joy...

After lunch we made our way towards Manchester....a beautiful drive through the Peak District and a great first drive...unfortunately my wife slept for most of it so there are no nice scenic pics I'm afraid...to be fair, she was literally just back from an 11 day church trip to Uganda so she was absolutely wrecked!

Anyway, we made it to the Travelodge at the Trafford Centre and parked up...more photo opportunities...

So, since that I had my fun driving my new car, it was now her turn....off to the Trafford Centre we went for a few hours of shopping!!!!

After a lovely meal and cinema it was time to head back and get some sleep - it was a long day!

Up the next morning and back to the Trafford Centre for breakfast and a bit more shopping
...then we started our journey towards Wales and Holyhead! We were getting the 8.30pm ferry so we had loads of time!

Lovely drive, mainly motorway the whole way to be honest to Wales, then we made our way along the coast - as we had plenty of time we stopped off at Colwyn Bay for a little break and to admire the view...and of course take a few more pics....

We (sorry I mean my wife!) then asked an ambulance driver where the nearest SHOPPING town was
so he said Llandudno so off we went to find it! To be fair it was pretty close by so we parked up and again headed on a trek around the shops....however I couldn't keep my eyes off the A5 sitting nicely parked in the car park....

I'm pleased to report that we (she) didn't spend too long (or too much!!) there so we made our way to Holyhead to catch the ferry...

Here she is, all parked up for the journey (think the woman in shot thinks I'm taking a photo of her!!)

Nothing to report about the ferry journey - pretty standard really and after about 3 1/2 hours we had arrived in Dublin and made our way home!

Got some snaps the next day in daylight (sorry, I didn't get a chance to clean it after the journey - please don't judge me!!)

And finally, for my favourite so far....

So there you have it, my pick up day(s)! It really is a very straightforward process travelling from NI to mainland GB and hopefully, if nothing else, this post will have inspired someone to take the step and travel across the Irish Sea to pick up their new car! Despite anything else, it really does work out a lot cheaper and it is a very enjoyable couple of days break!

I'm really pleased with the A5 - such a gorgeous car and a real head-turner! Great engine too! And I must say, Im very glad I opted for the Coupe - I really was debating Coupe or Sportback as we have 2 kids - a 3 and 1 year old! For us, it is nothing more than a slight inconvenience getting them in and out! Our 3 year old boy can jump in and out of the back himself and our wee girl isn't too hard to get in - will probably put her seat in the front when it's just me and the kids to make it even easier! But I know it's not for everyone! However, for me, I definitely made the right choice! For me, the mark of a great car is your anticipation to be in it when you're not - and I can't wait to get in it again, so this is a very good sign!

Have no mods planned - to be honest, I like to keep it as standard as possible, but I think I will upgrade the alloys at some point - again, after much debating, I think I have finally decided...Initially I was thinking of a set of black polished S5 style alloys but have gone off them now...so it was then between a set of Gunmetal RS6 alloys or the new RS4/5 V-spokes...after seeing Nickyboy's post on the A5OC a few days ago of his black S5 with V-spokes I have made up my mind - the V-spokes it is - I think they just look incredible and really set the car off! Check out his post here and see what you think... http://www.a5oc.com/...0-v-spokes.html Would love to know your thoughts on these!!

Anyway, think that's enough for now! Sorry if I have bored you with the length of this post!

Hope anyone who is still reading enjoyed it!

Thanks

Ian

PS. Even though it is my wife's camera I took all of the shots myself!! Not too bad, even if i do say so myself!!

Reactions: SVK and rj_skillz

·
Registered
197 Posts
what a beautiful car

Ian, you made a great choice and I'm chuffed to see that your happy with it and how great it looks!! Guys, Ian's right - travelling across the sea really isn't too bad. When I was going to pick up the R, I thought it would be way too hectic but got there and back within a day
Btw, the R is getting treated so damn good!

Poor mrs was dragged after her long trip
who cares, its not everyday you pick up a prestige car.

As for V spokes, spot on - I love them - they do really suit the car well and sits so well buddy. Look forward to more updates on this.

Speak soon,

RJ

Reactions: R32_Ian

·
Administrator
3,597 Posts
Nice !
I had a A7 3.0 TDI quattro as a courtesy car, surprisingly nimble and comfortable

·
719 Posts
Lovely looking car, always find that the A5 looks 10x better in the flesh than photos. Probably be tempted with 19" RS6 wheels tho, sets the look off IMO. I'm tempted with a 5 door A5 but just keep thinking it's slightly too big for my needs.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Very enjoyable read, Ian. I'm from NI myself and think i'm going to have to travel to the mainland to pick up an R32, when i finially find one that matches my desires.

I can't see your car on the pics on my work PC, but if it's anything like the one you linked to, then it's a stunner!

·
206 Posts
Thanks for all the comments guys! Really pleased with it!

And yes Easybreeze, would have to agree, it definitely looks better in the flesh! Photos just don't do it justice!!

Reactions: Easybreeze

·
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Very enjoyable read, Ian. I'm from NI myself and think i'm going to have to travel to the mainland to pick up an R32, when i finially find one that matches my desires.

I can't see your car on the pics on my work PC, but if it's anything like the one you linked to, then it's a stunner!
Thanks Tim!

If u need any advice/tips for making the journey just fire me a PM and I'd be happy to help! This is now the 3rd car I've 'got over the water' so am well used to it by now!!

Enjoy the search for your perfect R! Be patient - the right one will come along....you just have to wait!!

·
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
what a beautiful car

Ian, you made a great choice and I'm chuffed to see that your happy with it and how great it looks!! Guys, Ian's right - travelling across the sea really isn't too bad. When I was going to pick up the R, I thought it would be way too hectic but got there and back within a day
Btw, the R is getting treated so damn good!

Poor mrs was dragged after her long trip
who cares, its not everyday you pick up a prestige car.

As for V spokes, spot on - I love them - they do really suit the car well and sits so well buddy. Look forward to more updates on this.

Speak soon,

RJ
Thanks RJ!

Poor mrs?? She got to the Trafford Centre for a shopping spree, much to my dismay!!! However, I don't think I could complain about a couple of hours shopping considering what I had just purchased!! Will keep you updated, esp if I decide to go for the V-Spokes!

And nice to hear that the R is being looked after! I had no doubt that it went to a good home!!

Speak soon

Ian

·
89 Posts
Really looks nice, lovely build quality, we currently have a Q7 and TT 3.2 DSG so appreciate what you are liking

Cheers

·
.:R32OC Parking Attendant
4,025 Posts
Nice detailed write up - you just missed one detail: what film at the cinema?

·
Registered
584 Posts
lovely motors the A5 Coupe defo one of my fave motors in at work weve had a few lads in this week putting the RS5 honeycomb grilles in them (obviously made of money) hope its had the inlet manifolds replaced though!

·
1,138 Posts
Liking the new car Ian. On the wheel query, I would defo go with the new b8 RS4 wheels - that S5 looks great with them. How come you went to the mainland UK to get the car? I would of thought you would of got a good A5 3.0tdi within NI.

·
206 Posts
Thanks everyone!!

Liking the new car Ian. On the wheel query, I would defo go with the new b8 RS4 wheels - that S5 looks great with them. How come you went to the mainland UK to get the car? I would of thought you would of got a good A5 3.0tdi within NI.
VWR....it is actually much much cheaper to go over to the mainland for a car like this!! I think due to the fact the there is a bigger pool/choice of cars on the mainland, prices are forced down a bit - over here, there are fewer cars about, especially prestige cars, so prices will be kept higher! I saved between £4k - £5k on this car (the same car, albeit a different colour!) was in a showroom only a few miles from me and was £5k more than what I paid! For the cost of a flight over and ferry back, I think thats good value!

This is the 3rd car I have bought in this way - 1st I saved £1k, second £1.5k and now £4-5k!! Can't go wrong with that! Very much depends on the car though - it doesn't work out cheaper on all cars, so you have to do your homework!!

Thanks

Ian

1 - 16 of 16 Posts