VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
Had my mk4 r32 since Saturday and absolutely love it. 89000 miles and feels like new compared to my old mk3 vr.
Few bits to do to get it where I want it but am so impressed with these cars.
Only concern is when the cooling fans should cut in.
Any advice would be much appreciated
Cheers
Paul

·
Registered
927 Posts
Welcome aboard, mine still need fixing just got used to it, I call it character not a fault

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Will look it up and thanks for the welcome guys.
Hope its nothing major , temp guage dosent creep up past 90 after 10 mins of idling after a brisk run where as my vr fans would be spinning a good en after 2 mins lol
Cheers again
Paul

·
Cannot reMember
16,142 Posts
r1paul said:
Will look it up and thanks for the welcome guys.
Hope its nothing major , temp guage dosent creep up past 90 after 10 mins of idling after a brisk run where as my vr fans would be spinning a good en after 2 mins lol
Cheers again
Paul
It's nothing major at all

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So there's no worries with over heating then? I been runnin mine wiv the ac on just to keep the fans moving lol

·
19,388 Posts
Welcome to the forum

·
Cannot reMember
16,142 Posts
r1paul said:
So there's no worries with over heating then? I been runnin mine wiv the ac on just to keep the fans moving lol
You can't stop it from overheating if you have faulty fans. Just switch the ignition off

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Very true lol. But is there something at fault if the temp guage dont move over 90' even after 10 mins of idle after a brisk drive? I can only compare it to my vr6 and I know these cars are worlds apart but wiv the hot weather I would expect fans to cut in or the guage to rise?
Have searched on here for similar probs but they all seem to do with no slow speed fans with air con on etc.
Perhaps im bein paranoid just dont want to damage the engine .
Thanks for any help and your time replying .
Paul

·
Cannot reMember
16,142 Posts
r1paul said:
Very true lol. But is there something at fault if the temp guage dont move over 90' even after 10 mins of idle after a brisk drive? I can only compare it to my vr6 and I know these cars are worlds apart but wiv the hot weather I would expect fans to cut in or the guage to rise?
Have searched on here for similar probs but they all seem to do with no slow speed fans with air con on etc.
Perhaps im bein paranoid just dont want to damage the engine .
Thanks for any help and your time replying .
Paul
Mines never ever gone past 90 after a dogging on a hot day.

My vr6 used to, if the gauge decided it wanted to work

·
19,388 Posts
The temperature gauge on the R32, like all modern VWs, is not real time, it's adjusted to display 90 if the actual coolant temp is between around 85 and 105 degrees.

You can either mod by VCDS or display real time on climate control display via "not so secret menu"

·
Cannot reMember
16,142 Posts
cuprabob said:
The temperature gauge on the R32, like all modern VWs, is not real time, it's adjusted to display 90 if the actual coolant temp is between around 85 and 105 degrees.

You can either mod by VCDS or display real time on climate control display via "not so secret meny"
Obviously it's as good as impossible to have a real time analogue gauge that would fluctuate so often.

·
19,388 Posts
Obviously it's as good as impossible to have a real time analogue gauge that would fluctuate so often.
The majority are "damped" for minor fuctuations but modern ones one have a "plateau" across the normal operating range so the gauge sits in the centre position.

On my bikes the temp display was digital and would display real time

Reactions: PaulW

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks cheempeej thats exactly how id expect it to be, mine stays at 90 too but no fans when it pulls back up on the drive and idles and surely the motor would need cooling after that?
Is there anyway to test the fan module (plug into diagnostics ) ?
Dont know if it makes a diffetence but its got a miltek with stage 1 apr remap
Thanks again
Paul

·
Cannot reMember
16,142 Posts
r1paul said:
Thanks cheempeej thats exactly how id expect it to be, mine stays at 90 too but no fans when it pulls back up on the drive and idles and surely the motor would need cooling after that?
Is there anyway to test the fan module (plug into diagnostics ) ?
Dont know if it makes a diffetence but its got a miltek with stage 1 apr remap
Thanks again
Paul
Yeah for sure they should after a run. It won't throw up a fault, break out the multi meter and check the fan control module under the battery tray. But 100% it's the module, you either need a new one or 2nd hand one but the resistor will burn out again likely. Alternatives are buying an external resistor pack from the likes of NIME but at £105 it's not cheap.

Your mods make no difference

1 - 20 of 39 Posts