VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im not that good with the numbers in sound and audio, well not at least the amplifier numbers and what they can achieve.

I'm planning to install 2 subs in the boot, 8"-10" subs with max 1000w. What kind of an amplifier do I need for those 2?

Then I'm planning to replace the original speakers I have in the doors. What kind of speakers do you recommend in ways of power and dimension? And do I need a amplifier/other electrical soundimprover for those too?

And as I don't know how to remove the original speakers, it would be good to know how

·
.:R32OC Site Contributor
1,270 Posts
I know you should never answer a question with a question, but...

Are the subs 1000w each or a total of 1000w between them?

Is your head unit the stock one?

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's like this:
I'm at the planning state now, and doin a budget on my car upgrade. And actually I'm thinkin about not having subs in the boot because that will disfunction my sparewheel.
So do you know any good-quality door-speakers to compromise with? of course they wont do the same job as 2 subs, but at least half the way.

With the sub question I ment 2x1000w, and I have a Pioneer Avic f900bt that's on the 2nd on my "to shop-list".

·
Registered
222 Posts
idivuoma said:
It's like this:
I'm at the planning state now, and doin a budget on my car upgrade. And actually I'm thinkin about not having subs in the boot because that will disfunction my sparewheel.
So do you know any good-quality door-speakers to compromise with? of course they wont do the same job as 2 subs, but at least half the way.

With the sub question I ment 2x1000w, and I have a Pioneer Avic f900bt that's on the 2nd on my "to shop-list".
varför frågar du inte i Sverige om sådana här saker,, garaget typ?

Is it Nominal (RMS) or max 1000W? how many OHM are the subs on? dual or single voicecoil?

You have a sparewheel? i got some goo and a compressor instead!

Good speaker in the door would be 6 3/4 but 6½ will work, my self use Infinity=)

·
.:R32OC Site Contributor
1,270 Posts
Ah ok, so you were going to mount your subs in the spare wheel well. You could still use a standard enclosure if you don't want to lose your spare wheel?

Chris from CCA can recommend some decent speakers for the doors, I'm not too sure myself.

If you were to use the subs I'd guess they'd each be about 500w RMS if they're each 1000w max so you'd need to find either a couple of monoblock amps good for 500w RMS each or a fairly beefy 2/4 channel amp that will do 500w RMS into 2 channels.
If you can't find any amps that match the figures exacly then it's better to underpower the subs than to overpower them.

The other thing to consider is the impedance of the subs and what load the amps will drive safely. Most car audio is 4Ohm but there are quite a few 2Ohm subs and there are some others with other values but they're a bit less common.
Essentially you have to make sure that if your subs are each 4Ohms then your amp has to be at least 4Ohm stable, which is quite likely. If your subs are 2Ohms then the amp has to be 2Ohm stable. It's kind of counterintuitive but the lower the impedance value of the subs then the lower the value that the amp has to be stable to.

EG, you can run a 4Ohm sub off a 2Ohm stable amp but you can't run a 2Ohm sub from a 4Ohm stable amp.

That's assuming you're wiring one sub up to one amplifier channel. If you start wiring subs up in parallel or series it starts to get more complex. Also if you start bridging channels in a multichannel amp the stability values will change.

You can go as complex as you like but that's the basics of it.
Sorry if it's all old news but it sounds like that's the kind of info you're after so I hope it helps.

Nick

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks nick for the help, that's just what I needed to hear. Yeh I guess it's old news, but never bothered about car-audio untill I bought my R :)

Well I see if I put 2 subs in the back, I want to keep the sparewheel and still have plenty of room (which doesn't sound so easy without compromising).
talking about 2x350 rms with 2/4 (?) ohm

PJ

ps. Skee, this forums is much better, users are nice and helpful and it's a R32 Owners Club(!!).

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Ok, and Cue the music...In the BLUUUUEEE CORNER, Weighing in at Siiiiixteeeeeen Stoooooone, All the way from Chorley Engerlaaaand, the Speaker with the speakers, the monkey with the wrench, CHRiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis "Speaker Boy" Greeeeeeeenhalghhhhhhhhh!!! Woooooo Woooooo Wooooo.....

ha ha, now thats out of the way...

Idivuoma Dude,

what you need to do, if you dont want to put subs in the boot and lose the functionality of the boot is the following -

1 - Sound proof your doors using Dynamat Extreme, this will increase your bass in the car MASSIVELY and stop the doors vibrating and rattling when you hit decent bass through the speakers. This is from £30 per door, but the more you add the more bass you get and the fewer rattles you get.

2 - Replace the nasty standard speakers with some decent ones. i HIGHLY recommend Focal 165 VR's. I've had some superb results with these recently. I sell these at £240 or £300 installed. The Bass response on these are phenomenal as are the vocal and treble and the Bass will easily make up for what you've been missing out on and to some extent will sound as good as a sub.

3 - If you want to run these off the Avic F900 then this will be ok, but what i'd REALLY reccomend if you want decent bass is to run them off a small 2 channel amp. Focal make a new amp called a Focal Solid 2 Amp. Its a 2 channel amp with 80w (RMS) per channel and this is PERFECT for running these speakers on, this is £199. Its small enough to go under a seat or even behind the back quarter panel where the speakers are if you have a 3 door model.

4 - Sit back and enjoy.

What you think pal?

Chris
CCA

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Chorley Car Audio said:
Ok, and Cue the music...In the BLUUUUEEE CORNER, Weighing in at Siiiiixteeeeeen Stoooooone, All the way from Chorley Engerlaaaand, the Speaker with the speakers, the monkey with the wrench, CHRiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis "Speaker Boy" Greeeeeeeenhalghhhhhhhhh!!! Woooooo Woooooo Wooooo.....

ha ha, now thats out of the way...
lol!:rofl:

I've been looking on a Focal 165 VR kits, but are the front door kit's only? I have a 5 door MKV
Don't know if you can install them on my car, that's if you don't want to visit northern sweden ;)

Been thinkin a lot, and there will not be a boot install on mine. So I'll be only installing new doorspeakers, and to get the most out them I'm putting a amp to boost them. And a underseat install looks best

·
55 Posts
hi idivuoma!

check out my car, and especially the sound install at: http://www.garaget.org/mcz

you could possibly get some ideas and also see how I have done the install. I have choosen JL Audio parts only, and the quality is superb ;)

Will keep an eye on this thread and try to help out as much as possible. Good luck.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've seen your car before on here, and was looking for it cause I remebered you had somekind of a underseat install and door speaker replacement.
How much was it for all that in SEK? did you buy it in sweden?

·
55 Posts
i haven't really calculated the total, but around 15 000 SEK. Almost everything is bought from the US, since it's half the price over there. Even with import taxes and shipping quotes it's much cheaper, only downside is that you loose the warranty.
Only thing I got from Sweden was the CleanSweep.

I don't have an underseat install tough, my amps are attached to the back of the backseat. And I was looking for a stealthbox for the sub, but I thought they were a little too expensive (JL Audio has one) so now it's in a regular box.

I have seen an R with an amplifier mounted in the center armrest in the backseat, very neat. It's a clean and nice option if you find a small amp ;)

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
15 000 sek for all? man, that's much... better start saving
really liked that little Z emblem on you car, a nice touch :)

that armrest idea aint that bad, i'm gonna measure it and google for small amps

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Hi Mate,

if you wanted to use the Focal 165VR in the front doors then you can but the MKv has 3 speakers in the door. a 16.5cm woofer mounted to the door. a 10cm Mid Range mounted to the door card and a 2.5cm tweeter located behind the wing mirror. The Focal 165 VR only replaces the Woofer and the tweeter so you'd have to disconnect the mid range. OR, you could ask me nicely to get hold of a set of Focal 165 VR3's. These are SO rare. There were 25 sets in the UK and i had 2 pairs of these. They replace all 3 speakers, Woofer, Mid Range and Tweeter and are one of the only sets that do so and are tailor made to your golf. Dave Fish has a set installed by me and he has pictures on his blog (page 13 i think) and they sound beautiful. They are not hard to install and i could talk you through it easily if you wanted me to locate you a set and ship them to you. Have a look for them at www.focal-fr.com IF you need a set then tell me and i'll start asking questions and trying to find some.

And if you wanna pay my flights and offer me a room, of course i'll come and fit them for you.... : )

Cheers

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Chorley Car Audio said:
Hi Mate,

if you wanted to use the Focal 165VR in the front doors then you can but the MKv has 3 speakers in the door. a 16.5cm woofer mounted to the door. a 10cm Mid Range mounted to the door card and a 2.5cm tweeter located behind the wing mirror. The Focal 165 VR only replaces the Woofer and the tweeter so you'd have to disconnect the mid range. OR, you could ask me nicely to get hold of a set of Focal 165 VR3's. These are SO rare. There were 25 sets in the UK and i had 2 pairs of these. They replace all 3 speakers, Woofer, Mid Range and Tweeter and are one of the only sets that do so and are tailor made to your golf. Dave Fish has a set installed by me and he has pictures on his blog (page 13 i think) and they sound beautiful. They are not hard to install and i could talk you through it easily if you wanted me to locate you a set and ship them to you. Have a look for them at www.focal-fr.com IF you need a set then tell me and i'll start asking questions and trying to find some.

And if you wanna pay my flights and offer me a room, of course i'll come and fit them for you.... : )

Cheers
hehe, no flighttickets.. their pretty expensive, even from Stockholm to Kiruna(the city i'm in) if your not a "teenager" or student :biggrin:

Yeh I've seen Dave Fish' vocal kit, and read the blog about your install :) the thing is, speakers are 3rd on my shoplist. Wintertyres will be ordered today, then the F900 and first then the speakers. The Focal VR3 set is tempting, but it costs alot too. Found Focal 165 Access A3, which has a set of 3 speakers (tweeter, mid and woofer). It's a bit cheaper than VR3, so is the quality too I prefer.
Don't know if the VR3 is that rare, found a couple of them i SWE for about 420 sterlings. UK is known to be a bit cheaper than Swe, but you don't have to start googleing for a VR3 kit yet. Have to wait and see how much money I got left after my tyre and avic investment :)

But I appreciate your help, and seen on here that you're a pretty experienced audio-tech dude :)
I'll let you know when I have a investment budget

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Absolutely No Problems pal.

Just to let you know, the focal access A3 wont fit in your car, the mid range is too deep and the door card wont go back on if you use these.

What sort of money have you been quoted for the Avic F900 pal?

CHris

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Chorley Car Audio said:
Absolutely No Problems pal.

Just to let you know, the focal access A3 wont fit in your car, the mid range is too deep and the door card wont go back on if you use these.

What sort of money have you been quoted for the Avic F900 pal?

CHris
ah, that sucks.. I was hoping to get some good quality speakers cheap ;)
what about the Focal Access 165A1 kit with woofer and tweeter, will they fit in my back door?

have one F900 for 480 quid, but I's US. So I'm not sure about it, it has US maps and don't know if it has EU languages in speechcontrol. But I asked pioneer about it, in a smooth way of course and not revealing my cheap import plan (don't know if they actually care) ;)
In sweden a F900 is about 1100 quid = 13000 SEK, so it's more than 50% cheaper in US.
How much do you charge for a F900?

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
i have a EUROPEAN F900 in stock and it would be £899 plus £50 shipping pal.

The US version will NOT support europe and the software upgrade for the maps is not available either, so you'd just have a very useless double din screen in your dash....unless you wanted to go to america to get a hair cut....

Chris

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just talked to Pioneer support in Sweden via phone:
- Hi, I'm Jim (not my real name, cause I'm lieing if you haven't got that;)) currently living in US but moving to Sweden for work. I'm gonna import my car with a F900BT headunit.
- Ok, he answered
- I'm wondering if I can bring my F900BT to sweden, and if so, will it work there?
- No it won't, because US have a different region and regioncode.
- Ok, so I'll have to by me a new one in Europe?
- Yes, he answered.
And at the end of my lie, I just had to say:
- Ok then, have a good time in sweden!
:biggrin:
I had to wait for 20 minutes in que for the support line, but sometimes it's healthy to make fake phonecalls

So Chris, you're right. US stuff won't work in EU, damn.. why can't we be more united in this world...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.