VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
719 Posts
Hi all,

I've got my car going in for a major service with 120k on the clock and obviously this doesn't include spark plugs (even though it's costing £255), I don't believe they have ever been replaced but I know they were checked at 80k and reported as being fine (I got the car with 60k on the clock)... So the question is, if the car is still working fine is there any point in replacing them? I would do this myself but at £10 / £15 each it's still a big cost I could always do without.

Thanks

·
19,389 Posts
Hi all,

I've got my car going in for a major service with 120k on the clock and obviously this doesn't include spark plugs (even though it's costing £255), I don't believe they have ever been replaced but I know they were checked at 80k and reported as being fine (I got the car with 60k on the clock)... So the question is, if the car is still working fine is there any point in replacing them? I would do this myself but at £10 / £15 each it's still a big cost I could always do without.

Thanks
I doubt it's still on the original plugs at 120k.

They should be replaced every 40k miles, so i would just get them replaced as they are fundamental to optimum performance.

·
2,204 Posts
How can you be sure of that if you've not had the car from new? This is where you tell me you have in fact had it from new and done all your own servicing

My old Alfa A147 Twin Spark was on a 60K plug service and honestly, there was hardly anything left of the big plug's electrodes by 55K and the little plugs were just totally gone.. It's amazing the engine even ran.

The R32 plug is just a standard platinum tip. 100K+ is extremely unlikely imo.

·
719 Posts
Thanks guys, I read a post by someone else stating that a major service included spark plugs but when I asked while booking they quoted over £100! However I just phoned again to check and they said it did include spark plugs as it's a petrol... ummm, now I'm

Edit: I personally haven't changed them since I got the car @ 60k, I know at 80k they were checked and said to be fine, if they have been changed on a major service then they aren't listing it on the receipts!

·
Cannot reMember
16,142 Posts
How can you be sure of that if you've not had the car from new? This is where you tell me you have in fact had it from new and done all your own servicing

My old Alfa A147 Twin Spark was on a 60K plug service and honestly, there was hardly anything left of the big plug's electrodes by 55K and the little plugs were just totally gone.. It's amazing the engine even ran.

The R32 plug is just a standard platinum tip. 100K+ is extremely unlikely imo.
Coz the fuckers where welded in and corroded to fook. No tip hardly on the tip and just generally in bad condition

·
Cannot reMember
16,142 Posts
Thanks guys, I read a post by someone else stating that a major service included spark plugs but when I asked when booking they quoted over £100! However I just phoned again to check and they said it did include spark plugs as it's a petrol... ummm, now I'm
take it somehwere who knows what they are doing

·
19,389 Posts

·
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
19,389 Posts
lol, it's vw so you would think they'd know...
That's where you went wrong

To be fair some of them do but it's unfortunate the person on the service desk is not normally one of them

·
719 Posts
Thanks... checked the history and up to 110k, no tick for spark plugs and all but one of those stamps is VW including 2 major services... umm, I'm gonna phone again and double check

·
Administrator
13,972 Posts
Just do em I change mine every 2 x years

Sent from my iPhone 9 in a Time Machine

·
2,204 Posts
Thanks... checked the history and up to 110k, no tick for spark plugs and all but one of those stamps is VW including 2 major services... umm, I'm gonna phone again and double check
A tick doesn't necessarily mean anything. Dealers are often the worst place to get a car serviced. It's just 9-5 to them and they don't care. I've had cars from VW before (well, my missus has) and they can't even be arsed to wipe oil spills off the engine etc. When they did a cambelt for us they didn't put the cover back on properly and the belt rubbed on it. We even got our Polo GTI back with bad alignment after they replace the front tyres (it was c0ck on when driven in the day before!). How is that even possible?!?! Bloody morons.

Anyway, every time the spark jumps the gap, a microscopic layer of the electrode evaporates. There's just no way a plug designed for a 40K service life can last 3 times that and still provide an optimum spark.

I am of course always open to be proven wrong though

·
719 Posts
That's good information thank you

I would guess that the history book must be wrong then... so annoying.

Off topic, I did once take it to an independent but it put me off completely, courtesy car was his old banger, when I picked my car up he mentioned an issue on the shock that made the car feel wrong and when I got home and looked underneath, well he must of taken it off road so basically ragged it, very disappointed and angry, also did work I didn't ask for like brake oil change... With a fast car I always worry the technicians just want a joy ride - once they took it out on an MOT and gave me some lame excuse why about rolling resistance (first time I'd seen it leave a garage during an MOT). so for me, I get a bit of reassurance from stealers, at least you have come back and a nice courtesy car, to be honest from looking at AMD, VW were actually cheaper!

Anyway, thanks for all your advice, I'll get them to at least check the plugs if the come back and say it's not included and replace if required.

Thanks guys.

·
19,389 Posts
As said above, the dealers are very poor at ticking the right boxes in the service book. I've often had discussion as to why certain parts are listed on the receipt however, in the service book it says they haven't been changed.

I'm of the view if you don't know when something was last done, change it as it does no harm to change more often than recommended and at least you know for piece of mind.

When I was a lad you were lucky to get 10k miles out of a set of plugs, but that was in the days of points, distributors and rotor arms.

·
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks again for all the info

·
2,204 Posts
Koenings uncomfortable?!? Was the tester fat and just couldn't get in them?

Dealers are only human and errors occur. I can forgive that. What I can't forgive is the nonchalant attitudes some dealers demonstrate with complaints. Incidentally, my service book doesn't have the plugs ticked either, or the longlife oil tick, but I know both have been used as the engine internals and plug condition tell the real story

I've also seen what short journeys did to my chain tensioners at only 50K! Motorway cars are always the best ones to buy. "One lady owner" I steer well clear of.

I know not all of us are wizards with the spanners or don't have time the time or inclination to do our own servicing, but it's worth getting a clued up friend to check the car over after a service. Some people don't change the oil, or they just suck the oil out of the sump with a Pela and don't change the filter. Just have to be vigilant as best you can.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts