VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya guys and gals,

I have sprayed lots of things from small to large stuff and never had any trouble but this time the stupid thing has bubbled from heat i Sanded and took my time to spray paint the top engine cover. it had been on there for a couple of months before it started to bubble and split which looks crap

Iam going to strip back and re spray but want to make sure It doesn't happen again

Process going to do

Sand back with a b&d mouse and make it perfectly smooth

Primer 2 coats

Spray R32 blue 2 coats

Laq 3 coats

Inbetween the primer and colour I thought of putting down a black heat resistant spray but un sure

Has anyone got any ideas please

Thank you

·
1,000 Posts
had same problem with my engine cover, think its down to a mixture of heat from the engine but also Silicone in the plastic if a silicone cleaner has been used on it before. Try taking it back to just plastic and then clean with paint brush cleaner or thinners and then panel wipe before spraying to remove any silicone soaked into the plastic.

·
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
had same problem with my engine cover, think its down to a mixture of heat from the engine but also Silicone in the plastic if a silicone cleaner has been used on it before. Try taking it back to just plastic and then clean with paint brush cleaner or thinners and then panel wipe before spraying to remove any silicone soaked into the plastic.
Thank you for the info ill do that and see how I get on

Like everyone on here you don't want to have a crap job

·
4,420 Posts
yikes, i hope this doesn't happen to me, ive spent hours drawing on my engine cover, i used panel wipes to degrease it all, and 4 coats of primer, then god knows how many layers of gloss, i havent used any heat resistant stuff either

·
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yikes, i hope this doesn't happen to me, ive spent hours drawing on my engine cover, i used panel wipes to degrease it all, and 4 coats of primer, then god knows how many layers of gloss, i havent used any heat resistant stuff either
Fat Head- iam going to spray the underneath of the cover in a couple of coats of Halfords heat res spray.

·
4,420 Posts
Fat Head- iam going to spray the underneath of the cover in a couple of coats of Halfords heat res spray.
I was thinking tin foil or something but that could work

·
South East Organiser
6,824 Posts
Mine has been good for 3 years...the heat and paint arent really a problem just try mot mix manufacturers as this can have an un desired effect.
As bob said silicone in/on the plastic can be a pain. I gave mine good scrub with water and washig up liquid seemed to work.

Sent from my blower by a cat

1 - 9 of 9 Posts