VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
.:R32OC Site Contributor
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning,

I started my car this morning to drive to work and noticed an odd squealing noise coming from under the car at the back - somewhere near the rear diff. It could be a 'mechanical' squeal or it could be an 'electronic' squeal - it's kind of hard to describe but it sounds like maybe a pump squealing whilst it's turning or something. It's not dissimilar to 'alternator whine' for anyone who's experienced that through a stereo system, but this is more 'squealy' and less 'whiney'.
It's a continuous squeal but every second or so it will raise in pitch for a moment like something's jammed then drop back down to the 'normal' squeal tone.

The noise only happens when the engine is on, and it seems to get slightly quieter when the revs are up but that could just be relative. It definitely gets quieter after the car has warmed up but it was still there - albeit much quieter - when I got to work.
It doesn't matter if the car is moving or stationary, in gear or not. The pitch doesn't rise with the revs either.

I got to work fine and the car certainly didn't feel any different to normal but it's very disconcerting and I'm worried that driving it like this might be damaging it further.

Help! Does anyone have any ideas as to what it might be?

Cheers,
Nick

·
842 Posts
does the squeeling noise happen when you first open the door and the fuel pump primes?

lift up your rear seats and have another listen to try and pinpoint it

·
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
16vTej said:
does the squeeling noise happen when you first open the door and the fuel pump primes?

lift up your rear seats and have another listen to try and pinpoint it
Hi,

No the engine has to be running for it to happen, and it only happens after athe engine's been going for a couple of seconds - it's not immediate.

I should add that last night I pulled the rear interior panels off (I have a 3-door) and cut the rear speaker cables to extend them into the boot. I didn't drive it once I'd finished and now this morning I have this problem. I can't imagine for a second that me doing anything with the rear speakers (and it definitely was the speakers - I haven't chopped any other wires by accident!) has caused this to happen. Just thought I should mention it as it seems very coincidental.

Anyway, I'll try to find out a bit more tonight but any help in the meantime is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Nick

·
842 Posts
disconnect the rear speakers and see if it goes away in that case

may be a short with the wiring you have added?

·
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your replies.

Yeah that was the first (& only) thing I've tried - the speakers are disconnected and in fact I left the stereo off the whole way into work. The only cables I've messed with are the rear speaker cables so unless I'm missing something then with the stereo off everything else should be unaffected.

If I take the fuse out for the stereo will I need to put a code back in to get it working? Because I don't think I had a code from the previous owner so can't try that if that's the case.

Either way I'm struggling to see how the two can be connected. I agree that it is suspiciously coincidental but I can't think of any way that doing what I have done could lead to this noise.

Again, I'll look into it properly when I get home and hopefully be able to say more then, but until then all your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
Nick

·
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
On closer inspection (by lifting up the back seats and putting my ear to the floor where the seats sit - thanks Tej) I can hear that it's an electric motor and the sound has, since this morning, decreased and settled to the sort of whine that a struggling electric motor might make. It's coming from the middle of the car (as in neither driver's side nor passenger side) just under where the back seats are.

Anyone know of any pumps or motors around there?

Thanks,
Nick

·
Premium Member
7,998 Posts
Hi Nick, as previously mentioned it sounds like the electric fuel pump? I would personally use Vagcom to do a scan to see if anything comes up? Hope you get sorted and good luck fella :top:

·
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cheers,
I would use Vagcom if I had it - maybe it would be a good investment. Seems expensive on the face of it but I'm sure you'd probably make your money back quickly enough in dealer/garage fees!

For the moment though, I don't. So I take it the fuel pump is located around there then (could also do with some kind of technical manual...).
Going back to the initial comment about the fuel pump, does it just prime when the door is opened? I guess it's not actually going to turn until the starter is turned?
If it is the fuel pump, then just as a test if I were to locate the fuel pump fuse and take it out, would that cause any adverse effects (other than stopping the engine until I put it back in, obviously...)?

Cheers,
Nick

·
842 Posts
Spinksta let the car prime when the door is opened then start her up...let the car idle until you hear the noise then pull out the fuse for the fuel pump

the car will probably run for 15-30 sec before it cuts out but that should be enough time for you to see if the noise goes away

Thats the way I've de-pressurised the fuel system in that past before working on parts of it so it'll be ok to do...I wouldn't advise using any throttle though as the car may lean out a bit too much with low fuel pressure

·
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK, I found the fuse for the fuel pump and, with the engine idling, removed it. The noise immediatley stopped, whilst the engine carried on. It started to die after a few seconds so I put the fuse back in and the noise returned. So I think I've found the culprit.

On a side note, i think the drivers door switch that tells the car the drivers door is open has failed. For as long as I've ownd the car, opening the drivers door has never made the interior light come on or forced a beep when the lights are still on. Hence, I guess it doesn't prime the fuel pump either. Are these switches easy to replace?

Anyway, I shall see if I can find a replacement fuel pump. Are they easy to change?

Thanks for all your help guys,
Nick

·
842 Posts
can you hear the pump prime when you put the ignition on though? glad you've found the problem though!

the switch is meant to be a common fault on mk4 golfs, the control bit is in the door near the barrel, from what I've heard its a matter of either replacing it or fixing it (just a matter of refreshing some solder that can break over time)

I've not done it myself but I'm sure there's a guide on uk-mkiv's forum

·
106 Posts
hey Spinksta, sorry to hear of your problem. i think i probably have a similar noise to you, although i have never thought anything of it. the noise has been there since i have owned the car (1 year and 8,000 miles ago) and is going fine. i also heard this noise on a couple of other R's i test drove before i bought my one! I did guess it was the fuel pump tho, because, as others have said, it makes the same noise as when you open the drivers door and you can hear the fuel lines prime.

·
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ah ok so this may be a more common problem than previously thought.
As it happens, it hasn't been making the noise for the past couple of days so it looks like it's going to be an intermittent thing. Thanks for the info though - at least I know I'm not the only one. As you say it still seems to work fine so I think for the time being I'll leave it.

I'm now moving my attentions on to the door open sensor as this is causing irritation in several areas. I've had a look on the UK-MkIVs & VWVortex forums and there's plenty about it on there including several good DIY guides to getting the mechanism out and working out what the problem might be. From my symptoms I realise that I probably need a new microswitch which costs about £2 but I can't find it in the UK. I might put a new thread up to see if anyone's got any info.

Thanks for all the help guys

Nick

·
8 Posts
Hi all,

In reference to the above post:
I have a 2007 MkV R32 DSG and twice in the last month of owning it ive noticed a high pitched and fairly loud squealing noise from the rear of the car. The noise doesnt change in pitch with revs, or road speed and appears to only happen after I have driven the car for a while (>1hr). Its hard to decide but appears loudest at the RHS rear wheel and sounds like its coming from under the rear seats. Originally I thought it was a squeal from the rear speakers, but turning the radio off doesnt stop it. As soon as the engine is shut down, the noise stops. On start up it begins again. So it is definitely engine related.

Anyone had the same problem with a Mk5 R32? Anyone know if the MK5 R32 fuel pump is also in the same position as the mk4?

Thanks

1 - 15 of 15 Posts