VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
.:R32OC Site Contributor
5,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It would seem that attending the R32 Rolling Road day on saturday was a bad idea. Why? Because now I want to do things to the R that I said I would never do.

After doing a quick search to see my nearest tuners (from Ashford, Kent) I found and emailed Big Boys Toys and AMDTechnik (not realising they appear to be located in the same building!)

Have requested a quote for the following:-

Milltek cat-back non-res exhaust
Carbonio CAI
Remap to support the above running on 98/99 RON.

Car is a MkIV R32.

Do you think I am making the right choice re the above modifications?

Anyone had any experiences at either BBT or AMD?

Any advice on the mods or any additional things I should do whilst have these done?

Cheers, Matt :D

·
5,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
That was my immediate reaction... jump straight in and get a SC. What sort of price do you think I'd be looking at? £4k?

AMD just got back to me with:-

Remap @ £499.00
Exhaust @ £493.56
PiperCross VIS @ £249.00
Fitting @ £175.00

Total = £1,416.56

No Carbonio - PiperCross VIS instead. Anyone got one of these? Difference compared to Carbonio, apart from being more expensive!?

·
1,432 Posts
Big Boys Toys and AmDTechnik are one and the same now since AmD went down the pan some time ago and were saved by BBT who purchased the company.

The Carbonio is available with 15% off now, I think you should get that. I have it and its great. Intelligent Tuning might be able to do you a better price on the exhaust but I'm not sure how far away from you they are so may be best to go with the AmD price which presumably includes fitting?

·
748 Posts
Ive had all my work done by bigboystoys and I cant fault them! If you normaly spend that sort of money with them they do free fitting!

·
616 Posts
I may have a SC for sale if you fancy it...... or Schrick cams but i'm not sure if i'm selling the cams yet.
BBT's/AMD are good, I used to use them all the time and they are capable of doing anything you want really. I'm sure they will be able to offer discount on a bulk buy (not promising, but speak to Shaun). I know they have been really busy recently but they will be able to fit everything for you too.

·
243 Posts
I'd recommend BBT too!

How come you're selling up Decked? You've not had the SC that long have you?

·
616 Posts
Golfgirl said:
I'd recommend BBT too!

How come you're selling up Decked? You've not had the SC that long have you?
Not sure really... Basically I went out in my mates HPA again (originally he had a lot of issues) but he's had some work done, a few bits relocated/changed and it's running sweet! Although mine is running well and I love the power it's as far as I can really take it, as the VF stage 3/4 is not working out well in the US so I've decided jump ship. Fiftypence was selling his HPA 360 kit and with me having the HPA manifold I knew I could run it as an FT400 kit with a few pipes and it would keep me occupied for a while... plus the upgrade to 450 fairly easily and they do a load of software updates etc that I'd enjoy tinkering with.
I think the big difference in the 2 kits is the torque, I can drive mine very fast, just like the HPA but I need to drop a gear, and it keeps pulling like a train, where the HPA pulls hard low down and looses it a bit at the top but when my car was in the shop I was in fast turbo cars for a while and I started to like the lag and boost, possibly not as simple a drive or as smooth but I don't use the car much and I'm just going to keep playing with it, so I thought what the hell....

·
Registered
127 Posts
Matt, i will send you that Pm mate, ive got things for sale too!! Ive used BBT in the past but imo went down hill since the guru left and went abroad, things got rather pricey etc and i didnt think the service was that great, but thats my opinion.

The slippery slope is looming for you now..........

:top:

·
616 Posts
Jimmy_P said:
Matt, i will send you that Pm mate, ive got things for sale too!! Ive used BBT in the past but imo went down hill since the guru left and went abroad, things got rather pricey etc and i didnt think the service was that great, but thats my opinion.

The slippery slope is looming for you now..........

:top:
Ah ha! Jimmy I have some news.........:proud:

·
133 Posts
Hi Matt i have just had a few things done by BBT and cannot fault them very helpful and really seem interested in the R, Bill

G

·
Deckedr32 said:
Not sure really... Basically I went out in my mates HPA again (originally he had a lot of issues) but he's had some work done, a few bits relocated/changed and it's running sweet! Although mine is running well and I love the power it's as far as I can really take it, as the VF stage 3/4 is not working out well in the US so I've decided jump ship. Fiftypence was selling his HPA 360 kit and with me having the HPA manifold I knew I could run it as an FT400 kit with a few pipes and it would keep me occupied for a while... plus the upgrade to 450 fairly easily and they do a load of software updates etc that I'd enjoy tinkering with.
I think the big difference in the 2 kits is the torque, I can drive mine very fast, just like the HPA but I need to drop a gear, and it keeps pulling like a train, where the HPA pulls hard low down and looses it a bit at the top but when my car was in the shop I was in fast turbo cars for a while and I started to like the lag and boost, possibly not as simple a drive or as smooth but I don't use the car much and I'm just going to keep playing with it, so I thought what the hell....
Good luck Keith - when are you going to get the ball rolling - who are you going to get the work done by?

·
5,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
BBT just got back to me with:-

Remap @ £399.00
Exhaust @ £493.56
PiperCross VIS @ £299.95
Fitting @ £117.50

Total = £1,310.01

So, thats £106.55 cheaper than the quote from AmD, despite them being the same company these days...

Do you think this price is reasonable?

G

·
Mattchaps said:
BBT just got back to me with:-

Remap @ £399.00
Exhaust @ £493.56
PiperCross VIS @ £299.95
Fitting @ £117.50

Total = £1,310.01

So, thats £106.55 cheaper than the quote from AmD, despite them being the same company these days...

Do you think this price is reasonable?
As I mentioned on TSN I think you could get this cheaper. Intelligent Tuning on here - their Milltek prices would beat this hands down. The Pipercross is a fortune and unproven on the MKIV - I'd get a Carbonio or an EIP CCAI :151:

·
616 Posts
I have the pipercross sitting in the garage........

·
616 Posts
It was fitted for about 5K miles, and it was fine but I had a K&N on the Mk3 and it sounded so much better so I imported the K&N Typhoon from the US and it sounds like a proper bad boy! (as it's not sold here). Mind you, that's in the garage as well......

·
5,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok guys, had 4 quotes in total and Tuning Werks in Croydon have come out cheapest, and they are the closest to me.

For an APR remap, Carbonio CAI and Milltek non res cat-back all supplied and fitted = £1,174.82

Anyone used Tuning Werks, and am I likely to get similar results with an APR remap as I would with say Revo?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts