VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what the standard rev limit is set at on the MK4 R? And is this normally raised on a remap?

Also on a side note, what sort of revs has the standard internals been pushed to in tuned engines?

·
Cannot reMember
16,142 Posts
Uhoh!! What are you planning! Yeah the limit can be raised in a custom map. Not sure a generic map would do the same.

I think being a lardy v6 it won't take much revs as opposed to a CTR or the likes

·
Cannot reMember
16,142 Posts
I'm sure the limit is 6600 but flattens after 6k anyway. The only advantage would be holding on to the gears longer = a wee but more speed

Extra stress on the con rods I don't think is worth the gain

·
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Main reason for asking is I know mine had a custom map, and its very very rarely I get anywhere near the limiter... Came onto a nice clear road yesterday, put my foot down, looked down as I was about to change to see the needle at 7k rpm!

She has always pulled well without running out of puff, but its the first time Ive actually noticed how far it goes! Im guessing to find out the map would have to be read, rather than just vag-com.

Anyway, it got me thinking about the extra gains available from raising the rev limit. On my old 1.6 we mapped an extra 1k rpm onto it, and it gave a healthy gain. I would guess tuners have already thought about this to get every gain from a map though.

·
Cannot reMember
16,142 Posts
I think Gaz jones had his car mapped by vince at stealth and he only added 500rpm. Gaz reported good things.

·
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
R-tech mapped mine, may ring them and see if they have information on file about what was done, didnt think of that, doh!

·
Cannot reMember
16,142 Posts
H5R said:
R-tech mapped mine, may ring them and see if they have information on file about what was done, didnt think of that, doh!
Haha do it :)

On a other note. Got the splits on. Gonna PM you later if that's ok :-D

·
2,204 Posts
Standard limiter is 6600rpm. Most remappers set it to 7200rpm. Some mappers (like Stealth) give you the choice. I set mine to 7000.

It does rev surprisingly well for a long stroke engine but the limit has most definitely been found. I don't think it's much past 7200 actually.

American tuners have discovered the lifters can start bouncing out of their pockets. INA engineering do a shim kit to solve this I believe, but personally speaking, there really is no point revving past 7000 with standard cams anyway and it's way faster than VW ever intended for this engine, so bearing and chain gear lifespan could reduce.

·
5,496 Posts
Standard mk4 is set to about 6200rpm. It's properly easy to hit the limit if you go for it. Remapped cars can be as high as 7400rpm. My cars on 105000 miles I think, and it's been remapped for probably 95000miles or more, and it'll take 7200rpm all day long, so don't worry about hitting the limiter extended limit or not!

·
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the info chaps, its certainly put my mind at rest that its a normal thing on a remapped car.

Could be something interesting on NA... some TBs, rods, high comp pistons, valve train and cams to suit, and 10k RPM

Before anyone points it out, I know it would be a hell of a lot more work than that, but you can dream!!

Cheepeej - look forward to PM

·
3,392 Posts
Ive had my limiter removed completely.

They made very good power high up in the rev range past where the standard limiter would usually kick in, this can be seen on a rolling road.

This is how ive managed to get 280bhp out of mine on the rollers (with other mods), I'll dig out my rolling road graph and you can see how strong the power is past 6.6k.

Reactions: H5R

·
3,392 Posts
So what's stopping you accidentally revving it round to 8500 and destroying the valve gear?
Im not really sure tbh? Ive never actually taken it off the counter before, its mainly to make the gears longer between changes but it is noticeable when on the rollers.

Removing the limiter is worth around an extra 10bhp on the graph.

·
2,204 Posts
Maybe the soft cut has been removed and you have a hard cut, otherwise you could end up accidentally destroying the engine with a mis-shift

Without the restrictive standard intake and cams, the top end gains would be pretty big!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts