VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there everyone, need some assistance here.

I have been looking at a friends 53 plate mk4. She used the car a few days ago in the morning and all was well. She tried to start it in the afternoon and nothing. Turns over really well, but not smelling any fuel. The pump wasn't priming at all. Fitted a new relay, still nothing. Fitted a new pump and now it primes, still won't start. New spark plugs and coil packs fitted and still nothing. Still turns over really strong, but not firing. I've tried to vag com it but there's no communication with the engine controller. I was going to change the fuel pressure regulator next, but now I'm thinking maybe both cam sensors might be shot? I would have thought that even if the car wasn't firing I'd still get the petrol reek?

I have 2 R32's of my own and have never had any of this bother with mine.

Any other pointers for me would be great!
Thanks in advance

·
678 Posts
Could the ecu be buggered? try and swap from your other r32..

·
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jesus, after reading my first post I might have just answered my own question! Would that work? Just swapping an ECU? Thought they needed to be coded? I thought a buggered ECU wouldn't even let it turn over? Alecmack, have you ever heard of a blown ECU? I've never come across an R32 with one? 😪

·
678 Posts
I Couldn't see why not, I'm not 100% sure though,worth a shot

I've not herd of it happening very often.

Anyone else with better advice feel like pitching in...... I'm not very clued up with ecu's

·
Registered
475 Posts
If you can't communicate with the engine ECU then try and find the fuse for it... If the fuse is ok then try and swap an ecu.. It should start with a different ecu.. It's located under the scuttle panel...

Fuse is either in the fuse box next to the steering wheel or by the battery

If you still have trouble after swapping the ecu you may get an immobiliser fault come up.. If you do then make sure the key from the r32 you got the other ecu from is inside the car with you

·
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does anyone know what fuse that would be? I checked all of the fuses that were labeled with the engine management symbol and the fuses labeled with the book symbol and they were ok. Battery box fuses were also all ok.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts